Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I'm looking at getting a martin chetah or bengal does any one have any experience with them? do they hold up, hows the warranty, customer service?
I love my Bengal! Smooth draw, nice wall. For the money...ya cant go wrong

·
Registered
202 Posts
Ive never had one of the bows you are looking at, but I do have a Mag-Cat. One of the best bows Ive every shot. Very nice wall and draw cycle, CS is good. Martins seem to be some great bows.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
I have a 2010 Cheetah. Awesome rig. I was concerned with the short A-A(30"), but it is of no concern. Very accurate, smooth and fun to shoot. The new 2011 Exile looks really nice. Saw them fully rigged with rest and sight for 429.00 @ Scheels. Great bows.

·
Registered
53,305 Posts
Both are excellent bows, set up and shoot nice, but both bows IMHO have the worst OEM string and cable of any bow I've seen come from the factory. I would change those right away.
Now if your looking new yes the warranty is good, but remember they were dropped from the 2011 line of bows. So if a store still has a few new ones still in stock you should be able to get them at a discount.

·
Registered
7,322 Posts
A Bengal or Chetah is a nice bow. Nice shooting. I liked mine. But here's a few things to think about before buying.

You might want to do an AT search on Martin. You'll find an awful lot of threads regarding their quality problems. One pretty big one just in the last week. A number of people have said they won't buy Martins any more because of it. My Bengal was due for it's 4th set of limbs when I sent it back this last time and it felt like the riser was cracking under the grip. Factory strings were horrible. Cam was bad, ate through one set of strings and the replacement cam started on the second set. Idler spacers were so tight the idler squeaked and wouldn't turn freely. One of the sets of limbs was mismatched in strength. Martin's customer service IS awesome, unfortunately I had to use it a lot.

All that being said, they have a new QC department for 2011 and perhaps all the problems have been solved. My warranty replacement bow is due here in a couple weeks and I'm looking forward to working with it. It'll be a 2011 model. There hasn't been much negative about the 2011 bows so maybe everything's fixed. I liked the Bengal, was quite happy with it except for loosing a lot of shooting time and most of one hunting season due to frequent repairs.

Many Martin owners haven't had the rough experience I and a lot of others have had. They're fortunate. If my 2011 replacement doesn't give me the kind of problems I've had, I'll be quite happy to stay with Martin. But if it tears up on a regular basis like my other one did, I'll be switching to Elite or maybe Hoyt.

If you're going to buy new, so far 2011 seems OK. If the bow doesn't tear up, it's a lot of good shooting for the money. By the way, they replaced the Bengal with the Ridge Hunter for 2011. Pretty much the same bow, don't know why they changed names. Don't have the Chetah name any more either, probably replaced with a different name, same bow.

Since you said Bengal or Chetah it sounds like you're thinking of buying used and based on other AT owner reports, it may be a bit of a gamble. You might get one from a shooter that hasn't had any trouble and that would be great. On the other hand, you might get one from a shooter that's gotten fed up with the problems and is getting rid of it. Make sure it's a really good price (check AT classifieds to see what the average selling price has been) and you might want to do a little questioning about limb and cam issues. A used bow has probably had the factory strings replaced at some point, so you won't have that problem.

·
Design&Hunt
1,751 Posts
Think the Cheetah for this year was called Rack Rage or Bone Hunter - it was re-skinned and available at DSG. I have an 08 and love it - thing shoots amazing. Would agree on the factory strings, changed mine out as soon as I could when I got it. Prior to that this bow I had been shooting another older Cheetah (pre-parallel limb dates) - that bow shot awesome as well. Never had a real problem with either. And really you can't go wrong for the money for the most part.

·
Registered
53,305 Posts
I have never seen the troubles like Hunt123 described in all of them I sold and it has been a bunch. But like I said IMHO the string and cable were the worst OEM I've ever seen.

·
Registered
406 Posts
martins customer service is brilliant, i wish they were all as good as they are, unfortunately i had to use it to for limb problems, but mine is now an 09 with 2011 limbs, they sent me the upgrade kit with the new limbs as well.
wouldn't say its a brilliant mod but it does the job. my factory string is horrible...constantly turns, sometimes different directions, but thats easy enough fixed with a better one.

i think there incredible value for your money

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
bonehunter=Cheetah, exile=bengal. They're awesome bows. Most people here won't give an honest,unbiased opinion. If you want that,head to the Martin tech forums. I've never had a problem w any of the Martins I've owned,nor have many others. Unfortunately,due to past QC issues,some people have had their share of issues w their Martins. The CS is top notch,and you will be taken care of should you have issues. '09 and some early '10 models had limb problems

·
Back Yard Champion
33,954 Posts
I have never seen the troubles like Hunt123 described in all of them I sold and it has been a bunch. But like I said IMHO the string and cable were the worst OEM I've ever seen.
Something on the order of what Dale says. Our shop sold a quite a few and no one has had issues with them. However, 2008 strings were not the best to be had. These strings took a lot of breaking in and after this they held and peep rotation problems ceased. I have three Martin Shooters with 2008 bows with the same strings on them.

With 2010 and forward Martin has a lot of pluses going.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
I think saying you wont get an unbiased opinion on here is a pretty lame broad statement to make.I have 2 martins and I havent had trouble so far.Im not saying I dont believe others havent because Im sure they have.Their one of the best bang for your buck bows out there.You could always look for a used Moab also.Those were awesome.I dont remember what the new version of that one is.

·
Registered
7,322 Posts
bonehunter=Cheetah, exile=bengal. They're awesome bows. Most people here won't give an honest,unbiased opinion. If you want that,head to the Martin tech forums. I've never had a problem w any of the Martins I've owned,nor have many others. Unfortunately,due to past QC issues,some people have had their share of issues w their Martins. The CS is top notch,and you will be taken care of should you have issues. '09 and some early '10 models had limb problems
The Exile is a shorter ATA bow than the Bengal. It's not the replacement. The Ridge Hunter is, according to Joel at Martin. Martin doesn't sell anything called a "Bone Hunter". At least it's not on their website or in their 2011 catalog.

As to honest, unbiased opinions: Many Martin owners have had good luck with their Martins and have commented on how much they like them. That sounds honest and unbiased to me. On the other hand, many Martin owners have not been so fortunate and have had considerable trouble with their bows. Even though that experience might be different than yours, it's still honest and unbiased commenting.

Not to belabor the point, but I conducted a poll on AT maybe a year ago which found that almost 50% of AT Martin owners had quality problems with their bows. That poll then vanished. The poll wasn't year specific but from all the posts and reading I've done, I'm guessing the "troubled years" were 2008 - 2010. As far as I can tell, there's pretty complete agreement that Martin bow quality was quite fine prior to that. And seems like it's fine for 2011.

In terms of people offering dishonest and biased opinions (the opposite of honest and unbiased), you'll always have fanboys who want to tear down anything that isn't their brand. But just because a Martin owner has quality problems and comments about it doesn't mean he's being dishonest or biased.

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
wasn't meaning to offend anyone with my comments. I've noticed several threads about Martins where the fanboys jump in and start trash talkin. That's mainly what I was referring to. Without me elaborating any further,im sure you know the type. I'm not here to get into a pissin match. If I offended anyone,i apologize.

now,i did some searching and found a bit of info. I need to correct my self as I got mixed up. The Exile replaced the Cheetah, the ridgehunter replaced the Bengal. The Bonehunter(what I'm being told)was an '09 model for the box stores. Dick's etc. I will post more when I get more info

·
Registered
217 Posts
For the record, unless you're looking at used bows, the Bengal and the Cheetah are not available for 2011. But their equivalents, the Ridgehunter and the Exile are.

Ridgehunter: 32.5 ATA, 50-70#, 26-31" draw, 320 fps @ $411
Cheetah: 30.25 ATA, 50-70#, 25-30" draw, 320 fps @ $ 360

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.