Archery Talk Forum banner

Martin cable serving getting rubbed through

661 Views 3 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  cmherrmann
The local bow tech noticed that my lower cable serving was getting rubbed through (08 Bengal) because it was contacting the cam. He tried everything he knew to do and called Martin but nothing worked. I found a sharp edge on the cam, filed it down and the rough "bump" and noise I heard at 3/4 draw is gone.

So maybe it's fixed. But it doesn't seem like the cable should contact the side of the cam at all. I'd think it should be away by maybe 1/32 or so. Is this normal? The other bow tech seemed to think so for cable slide bows. He showed me a couple other non-Martin demo bows that were starting to show the same type of wear.

He then showed me the Mathews roller which is bent in order to keep the cable off the cam.

I'm trying not to send the bow back to Martin because I won't be able to shoot for 3 weeks if I do. (1 wk each way in transit). If the second bow tech is right and cable slide bows normally have that problem then I'll forget it and keep a close watch and replace the serving when needed.

Otherwise, I'll just have to send it back. Thoughts?
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
7,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
sounds like cam lean to me, possibly caused by to much preasure on the cable slide. Can you post pictures of the top , and bottom cams by chance?
I layed an arrow alongside the idler wheel and compared it to the string and found that the bow tech had torqued it way out of position while he was trying different things and he forgot to put it back. I don't have a bow press so I've got to take it back over to him tomorrow. Once he straightens it back out, I'll see if I can post a couple of pictures.

The cable slide is factory spec, I guess. It came that way from Martin. I looked at it and position of the rod is not adjustable, meaning you can't move it closer or further from the riser. The slide itself slides very easily on the rod, so it's not binding.

· Registered
5,465 Posts
I don't know why Martin did not put adjustable cable guard rods on all of the 08 bows? That would make it much easier to adjust things.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.