Archery Talk Forum banner

Martin Cheetah Problem?!

1149 Views 15 Replies 14 Participants Last post by  oktx
my friends wife has a cheetah and the string will come off of the top idler wheel. it first happend while she was "testing" the bow before they bought it and they said the string was just probly not put on right, then when it happend again they said martin told them it was the wheel so they changed that, then when it happened the third time (had a doe at 10 yards on this one) he said martin told him it was the string so they changed that. Now it happened again and my buddies wife is getting afraid of her bow and does not want to shoot it anymore. I hust got them into archery this spring and feel kind of bad about it. I am not bashing martin just want to know if someone might know why it is doing this or if they have heard of it on other cheetahs. when the bow is relaxed (not at full draw) the idle wheel is tilted, ans at full draw it is extremely tilted. Just looking for some input on this for her.

Thanks Brian
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
4,406 Posts
Cheetah...

My guess is that the string does not have serving over the area that runs over the idler wheel...If this is the case, it is very important to have the idler wheel strait....this can be acheived quite easily by adding twists to the right side of the split....and that should cure what ails ya....that, or we could send you a new string with the idler serving installed....either way...give us a call and we'll fix you up.. :darkbeer:

PUG

· Registered
79 Posts
I've called 4 times to talk to Jake (Pug) at Martin and to this day still have not spoken to him. Gave my phone number everytime. My issues still not have been resolved have now taken my bow to the 2nd dealer to fix. 1st time all they did was change cable length. looked bow over when recieved and seen that top limb looked cracked. Took to another dealer and the crack was confirmed. Got the Cheetah October 15,2007 and have only had it in my possesion for 3 months. Still waiting for return of Cheetah. So I had to go buy another bow (not a Martin) for hunting season, will not be buying any Martins in the future since they can not return calls. At this point waiting on new Limbs, Cam, Idler Wheel, and strings/cables. Martin might finally get it right but why 2 seasons later?

· Registered
4,406 Posts
huh..

I've called 4 times to talk to Jake (Pug) at Martin and to this day still have not spoken to him. Gave my phone number everytime. My issues still not have been resolved have now taken my bow to the 2nd dealer to fix. 1st time all they did was change cable length. looked bow over when recieved and seen that top limb looked cracked. Took to another dealer and the crack was confirmed. Got the Cheetah October 15,2007 and have only had it in my possesion for 3 months. Still waiting for return of Cheetah. So I had to go buy another bow (not a Martin) for hunting season, will not be buying any Martins in the future since they can not return calls. At this point waiting on new Limbs, Cam, Idler Wheel, and strings/cables. Martin might finally get it right but why 2 seasons later?

Well i dont honestly beleive that it has taken us 9 months to get you fixed up...Whos the dealer the repairs are set up thru??

· Registered
269 Posts
pug and joelc will go out of their way to help their customers. I can can tell you from experience. Two days before a hunting trip I was going on last year I had some trouble with my martin and called martin. I left a message with the woman on the phone. Joel called me back within the hour and arranged for me to swap my bow out for a new one from my local dealer so that I could still make the hunt. That stuff that guy is talking about pug and joelc not calling him back is crap and I don't believe it. I do agree that you should be able to put some twists in your yoke and get all of the lean out of the idler. That should take care of it. If it doesn't I would have to say shes putting some extreme torque on the bow at full draw.

· Registered
5,465 Posts
pug and joelc will go out of their way to help their customers. I can can tell you from experience. Two days before a hunting trip I was going on last year I had some trouble with my martin and called martin. I left a message with the woman on the phone. Joel called me back within the hour and arranged for me to swap my bow out for a new one from my local dealer so that I could still make the hunt. That stuff that guy is talking about pug and joelc not calling him back is crap and I don't believe it. I do agree that you should be able to put some twists in your yoke and get all of the lean out of the idler. That should take care of it. If it doesn't I would have to say shes putting some extreme torque on the bow at full draw.
+1

Being a new archer I would bet she is torquing the bow (pulling the string off to the side and not straight back) Maybe the draw weight needs to be turned down so she can pull it back easier?

· Registered
5,664 Posts
One of the first things I actually thought of was that the draw weight may be turned down too much allowing the string to be too slack. Its great for tuning the bow, but if the limb bolts are backed out too far and the bow is shot, it may result in the string being pulled off the track. I have no evidence to support this, but just another possibility.

· Registered
1,109 Posts
My guess is that the string does not have serving over the area that runs over the idler wheel..
PUG
You nailed it. The string needs to be served all along where the wheel makes contact with the string so that it doesn't "flatten out" when you draw it back. (this can cause the string to jump the wheel)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.