Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if i should get the Couger III. I'm a little worried about the low brace height being a problem. Please give me some input about what you think or experienced. I would love to have the Scepter III, but its just to explensive....

·
Registered
644 Posts
Don't know how forgiving, but I drew one back the other day! Smoootthhhhhhh! I'd like one for indoor!

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
winter86,

It depends on how long your draw length is. Having said that, in the 29" and under range, I would have to say the cougar III is an oustanding and very forgiving bow. The first score I shot out of the box with my cougar III was a 299 with 57x's. I am not a pro, or close to the consistancy of most professionals but I do know a forgiving bow when I shoot one. I know you would get the same answer from GRIV about his Cougar III he was in the shoot off for first place again this year at Vegas ad Nationals. He was using his trusty cougar III.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I just got my Cougar III (fury-X) last week, It's a sweet shooting bow.
My AMO draw is 29"+ and I have it set at 57# and it's seems very forgiving. I have it set-up for indoor shooting 2613's with 150 grain nibbs and it really spits them out.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
with the Elite limbs I believe it yields a higher brace hight.Griv posted he was experimenting with shortening the cables one in. and shortening the string a half in.It yielded a 7 in brase hight.
I have 2 of these bows and I have to tell you they are a pleasure to shoot.They really put the fun back in shooting.
With this bow there is VERY little room for draw length adjustment
( Fury cam models ) so make sure the draw length is good.
I didnt know enough about the Cougar before I was willing to commit to buying one.
Then I used the search function and found out what the scoop was on this model There is a ton of post on this subject.
Chuck.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Man!!! The more I shoot my Cougar III the more impressed I am with it.
I was a little concerned with the lower brace height & the Fury-X, I thought I might get a little cable slap on the wrist. But there's none.
And the Ultracam material they use is some great stuff. My string doesn't rotate a bit.

Overall this is a great bow. Period!

·
74,535 Posts
Griv shoots one well

Im really considering this bow next year. I have now been able to shoot one a little at the shop and there very smooth.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Does anyone have experience with both the Cougar III and let's say a Hoyt ProTec? What's better/worse or just different?

And what about the let-off? 75% is standard, but with 75% Hoyts, the valley is completely gone. Same story for the Martin?

·
Registered
599 Posts
i personally like the sceptor III better. the grip angle is a little different and it has a heavier mass weight. it also seems to be more forgiving.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanx guys for all the input. I would love to have the sceptor III, but only being 17 i can't afford it Right now i have a 2000 Hoyt Aspen single cam. I won state with it...but just want a nice target bow that i don't have to keep changing back and forth to my hunting bow. This weekend i'm going to shoot and ultratec and a couger and i'll decide from there.

·
EPLC Stabilization 4-Sale
9,421 Posts
I have a Scepter 3 and a 2002 Cougar. I also have a 2001 Scepter 2. If the Cougar 3 is as much of an improvement over the Cougar 2 as the Scepter 3 is over the Scepter 2 then it must be really something, cuz I love my Cougar 2...

·
Registered
307 Posts
My Cougar III is a very forgiving bow. I have maded a few bad shoots with these old fingers and the bow has helped me put them in the dot. I have one bow with Fury X , another with std. Fury cam, yet another thats a half breed.

If you really want it smooth as silk and a little more speed, put some Hoyt Command cams on the Cougar III, if you can find them. I rigged on up for the outdoor Nationals and performed beyond my expectations. But it had a little torque due to the cable guard. Ah, but I am glade I picked up some cable spliters to make it a shoot through system. But what works for me may not work for you.

Nothing Is Perfect, Except A Perfect Release

·
Registered
102 Posts
winter86,

Was that you I shot with at State? 550 field round is a pretty nice round, not to mention done with a older, single-cam Aspen. I would take a look at what's out there for used bows. I just bought a 2002 Scepter II for a little more than half retail, and I'm having a pretty good time playing with it.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hoythead,

you probably did shoot with me, but what is your name? And i'm looking for used bows...I like hoyt but the grip is to low and slippery...martin is the only bow now with a higher wrist except PSE, but don't want a PSE. I have time to look around before indoor starts.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Cougar III

You will not go wrong with the Cougar III, This bow really shoots well, It is foregiving for the brace height, but remember a bow is only as foregiving as the shooter. I have shot better indoor & outdoor scores since switching from the Cougar 2000 to the Cougar III. I think the Fury X system is the best thing to come along in years, this I believe is what makes the bow so easy to shoot. Try one you will not be disappointed.:D

·
Registered
102 Posts
My name is Steve, and I was the guy with the AccuTec shooting fingers. Seriously, I would look at the classifieds. I've seen several Scepter II Elite's for sale $350-$390 including shipping. I love the smooth draw cycle of my Scepter II, and it has a very solid back wall compared to the AccuWheels that I have on my Hoyt.

·
Banned
2,346 Posts
is it a forgiving bow and accurate bow with the straight limbs on the cougar 3? how about the elite limbs? which would you get for indoor target? i am thinking the straight limbs. which is better?
thankx

1 - 20 of 20 Posts