Archery Talk Forum banner

Martin customizers can/has this been done before?

2K views 46 replies 18 participants last post by  Dan. S 
#1 ·
Good morning all

I woke up bright and early today with an idea in my head.

Has anyone built a Scepter 4 with 13 inch limbs and nitrous cams?

Im guessing the specs will be the same as the slayer with 13 inch limbs and nitrous cams, apart from the brace height.

If anyone has done this before did it work?

Those with lots of experience with Martins do you think it will work? Will the specs for A2A and string/cable lengths be the same as the 13 inch limb nitrous slayer.

My logic is that the S4 magnum with 14 inch limbs and nitrous cams have the same string/cable lengths as the 14 inch limb nitrous slayer.

Thanks to all who reply in advance

#2 ·
I don't remember if this bow has 14" or 13" limbs but it has been done....at least LeEarl has done it and I may setup one as a bow for out west next season....

I don't think the specs are the same as they are on the Slayer....

Attachments

#5 ·
Thats a nice looking bow BH.

Im in the middle of building one myself. I think with the shorter limbs the brace will be around 6.5-7 but i wish somene with more experience will share the right dimensions and specs.

Thanks for the input

#7 ·
No thanks Im after on with either 13 or 14 inch limbs.

At the moment i want to know the dimensions and specs of the 13 inch limb version with nitrous B cams.

If yor bow has 65% mini X mods on it I will buy them though.

#11 ·
S4 with 13 inch limbs

Of course it can be done. I wouldn't use the same specs as the Slayer with 13 inch limbs, though. The limb angles on the Scepter and Slayer are quite different, so changing the limb lengths by the same amount won't change the ATA the same amount on both bows. I know that when I had my Scepter set up with 14" Mag limbs, my ATA was about 37.5", so I would guess that with 13" limbs, it would be about 36.5" ATA. For string and cable lengths, I would use 38.25" or 38.5" cables, that should be about dead nuts.

#13 ·
Of course it can be done. I wouldn't use the same specs as the Slayer with 13 inch limbs, though. The limb angles on the Scepter and Slayer are quite different, so changing the limb lengths by the same amount won't change the ATA the same amount on both bows. I know that when I had my Scepter set up with 14" Mag limbs, my ATA was about 37.5", so I would guess that with 13" limbs, it would be about 36.5" ATA. For string and cable lengths, I would use 38.25" or 38.5" cables, that should be about dead nuts.
I think the one that got built came out to 36.5" with the 13" limbs...don't remember the exact #....but it was shorter then 37".

#23 ·
Thanks everyone for the replies.

When you set one up BH post some specs and pictures for all the non believers.

Im interested to know how fast it will be and what the dimensions and specs end up at.

#24 ·
Im not here to argue with u martin guys Im just looking at where the string is in relation to the end of the cable gaurd. It looks like one huge brace height. Maybe the picture isnt showing something.

#25 ·
I think there is a slight communication breakdown going on here ???

The original post didn't mention using SE limb pockets, he just said putting 13" limbs on an S4 riser !

That pic shows a S4 riser "WITH" SE limb pockets which give the limbs more of a backward lean angle, thus increasing the brace height and shortening the AtA !

I think some of the people on here are talking about a bow "WITH" SE limb pockets, and the rest are talking about a bow "WITHOUT" the SE limb pockets ???

That's what it looks like to me anyway, but i may be wrong, it wouldn't be the first time !!! :wink: :darkbeer: :darkbeer:

Woody

#27 ·
Thanks woody I just learned something new it seems today wasnt a wasted day after all.

I didnt realise there are SE limb pockets available that change the angles of the limbs.

Are the SE limb pockets needed to get the shorter limbs on the bow or are their other options available for putting magnum limbs onto Sceptre 4,s

The bow in the picture posted by BH is exactly what im attempting to put together. It has perfect specs for my draw length.

I also am trying to trade some A cams for mini mods as you recommended over on the Aussie forum. Thanks for the help have a good one.

#29 ·
I don't know, that's what i have been trying to get an answer too myself, but everyone is to busy arguing over what brace height the bow in the pic has !

I'm hoping LeEarl or someone is going to come on here and tell us if you can put the shorter limbs on the S4 riser "WITHOUT" the SE limb pockets, i'm guessing it would be a very short brace height and a long AtA if it can be done ! :darkbeer:

Have you put a add in the classifieds for trading your cams or mods ???

Woody

#30 ·
Yes i have put my A cams up for trade on mini X mods but nothing yet.

We are on the same wavelegth I want to know about the options available for putting magnum limbs on the S4 other than the SE limb pockets (if there are other options).

I have a short draw length 26.75 so shorter brace heigths dont hurt me but i like around 37-38 inches in a2a though.

I really like the bow in the picture and think that is the way to go unless the shorter limbs can go on in a more upright position. I also think the shorter limbs may need a bit more preload making them more swept back somewhat.

I guess well wait and find out.

Dan

#38 ·
You may be right ???

I think it's the same riser but with different length limbs maybe, after looking at the pics again one has camo limbs and the other doesn't, but it also looks to me like the camo limbs are longer than the non camo limbs, but that may just be an optical illusion ????

We need LeEarl to tell us if it is the same riser just with different length limbs !!! :darkbeer:

Woody

#41 ·
Wow, you guys have been busy on here :wink: The color of the one bow was a test to see what happens when you bake a chamelin colored bow.. It is a titanium color that is turned black and white....

The S4 can have 13" limbs on it and YES the brace will be about 6.5" with about 36.5" or slightly less A-A... With a bow like that you will have some forward movement because of the short vertical limbs... That is why I built the 13" SE S4 :thumb: Great shooter for sure.. I was able to get it to shoot over 300fps IBO at 60# wtih jsut over a 8" brace...

Building bows is a blast and anything is possible. Let me know if you need any other info on this thread :smile:

#42 · (Edited)
Thanks LeEarl

You have obviously built one already. Can you remember the cable and string lenghts. Can you remember if the forward jump was excessisive compared to other bows with the vertical limbs. I like some forward movement.

I will give this combination a try if I can get the string and cable lenghts and which limbs would you order to produce around 55 pounds max weight with nitrous B cams?

Thanks again

#45 · (Edited)
I just entered the 21st Century and put aside my SII in favor of an S4 Mag Nitrous. I got the specs from a reputable source :wink:, but would like someone else to confirm a few numbers, please.

This has the regular limb pockets, 14" 2H limbs, Nitrous B cam, HL mods. Cable guard. String is 53", cables are 39.75", both 452X. I tried 39.25" but that put the ATA short and BH and weight high.

ATA is just under 38", BH is 7.5", DL is 29.25 in the second longest hole on the mod, they peak at 62#.

Speed with a 355 grain arrow at 59# is 265. (This gives me only about 8 fps more than my SII Fury Elite at the same weight/DL - thought maybe I'd get a bit more speed.)

How's all that look to you people who have been messing with this type of bow?

Based on a few dozen shots in my basement, it tunes and feels excellent, and I prefer it to my ancient SIIs.

Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.