Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of months ago I looked at a new Martin Phantom II magnum. I think it had tru-arc cams. I kick myself now for not buying it. It was extremely smooth and had a great feel to it. This bow is now discontinued, so my question is which of the new Martin bows would you recommend for a hunting bow and which cam will give the smoothest draw and have a decent valley ?
I have found a few used Phantom 2's on line, but they all have the dyna-cam and I have'nt been able to shoot one of those..

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
oregonelkhunter said:
A couple of months ago I looked at a new Martin Phantom II magnum. I think it had tru-arc cams. I kick myself now for not buying it. It was extremely smooth and had a great feel to it. This bow is now discontinued, so my question is which of the new Martin bows would you recommend for a hunting bow and which cam will give the smoothest draw and have a decent valley ?
I have found a few used Phantom 2's on line, but they all have the dyna-cam and I have'nt been able to shoot one of those..
The new Phanthom III is an upgraded version with a few option improvements you'll love :wink:

A sleek new riser design gives the P3 better balance and a crisper shot than ever before.

With three cam options and two core flex limb options, there is a P3 to fit your needs. Coupled with our powerful laminated Core Flex limbs and patented V.E.M.’s, the new P3 delivers arrows at blazing speeds, and with out a shred of noise or vibration.

There are 3 cam choices Dyna-Cam 25-30" 300FPS, Nitrous 22-32" 310FPS, Tru Arc + 24-30" 300FPS. I would go with the Nitrous but that my personal preference becasue of the need for speed we all have :mg: I think the the smoothest draw and most forgiving would be the Dyna-Cam though.

joelc help............

·
Registered
17,864 Posts
Smoothest draw would be the Bengal and M-Pro. It beat out my Phantom IIs for my #1 hunting bow.

Personally, on paper, I don't like the changes to the P3 over the Phantom II and I'm glad I got 2 Phantom IIs when I did. Added too much weight and took away the good looking curves.
I don't think they have any bows that match up to what the Phantom II was. Quest is light but the brace and AtA are longer and it doesn't have the same speed.

Because of that added weight and the difference in weight I'd rather have the Bengal. It's so smooth that you can draw more weight which ends up with better speeds.

Another reason besides the weight that I like the Phantom II mag is because I hunt sitting on the ground. The short AtA keeps me from worrying about hitting my legs.
I changed one of my Phantom IIs to straight limbed Nitrous-X and it's too long for that type of hunting, it's about the same length as the P3 mag.

·
Registered
7,056 Posts
I vote Bengal!! Try it and you'll see why.:wink:

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the input.... I have heard a lot of good things about the Bengal but have'nt looked at one yet. I guess another option , if its possible, is to buy one with the dyna-cam and change it out later to the nitrous or tru-arc
if I decided to. Think I'll go to Martins website and check out the Phantom III
also. I really like the different variations and flexibility that you get with Martin bows. Thanks Mike

·
Registered
5,465 Posts
Mike,

Whatever you choose you will be happy. I have shot the Dyna-Cam, very smooth and a good wall. The Nitrous is also smooth with a nice solid wall. I currently shoot the Rytera BulletX with the Vipro Cam and it is a s smooth as silk with a great wall. I believe the Bengal's cam will be very close to the Vipro cam. Martin has the best selection of different cam types and draw lenghts available. I have only shot the Tru-Arc Cams once and I did not like the the feel of them, the cam seemed to have very little creep before turning over. I guess I would of got used to it after a while but it just did not suit me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts