Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody shot the 2008 Martin Sabre? Any good for hunting? High quality for the low price? How is the speed and vibration?

Thanks.

· Registered
2,754 Posts
Let's just say I was going to buy a DXT until I shot the Saber. Talk about a sweet little bow. A buddy bought one and brought it over. We shot it off and on for a few months and I had to have one.

The dang thing is way easy to draw, you can hold it back all day long even set to 70 lbs. If your standing 5 to 10 feet away it sounds like someone flipped a rubber band, darn quite.

It has plenty of power to kill deer, been there done that already.

We bought our bows about 3 months apart. My bow cam with a different riser and appears to be the 09 style but I don't know that for sure. He shoots his bow set to 65 lbs and I have mine cranked up to full down and backed off 1/4 turn...70lbs??? never measured it. His is a little more quite but not by much. Mine came with all the modules and a draw stop which I love. His a black string, mine yellow and green Martin colors. Both had bow jacks and now bow have Limbsavers.

The bow can be shot without a sling open handed. It is the deadest bow I've ever shot. Love the grip and would hate to use any other style now.

I think the IBO is 310 fps, but the new ones may be 320 fps. I have not checked the speed with the arrow I shoot. Based on how it has performed on deer so far I doubt I ever check it. No need.

After shooting my bow for 3 days I was shooting the Saber better than any bow I've ever owned. I can't believe the groups sizes I'm getting at 40 yards.

Buy one they only cost $289.00, heck buy two.

· Registered
5,664 Posts
Let's just say I was going to buy a DXT until I shot the Saber. Talk about a sweet little bow. A buddy bought one and brought it over. We shot it off and on for a few months and I had to have one.

The dang thing is way easy to draw, you can hold it back all day long even set to 70 lbs. If your standing 5 to 10 feet away it sounds like someone flipped a rubber band, darn quite.

It has plenty of power to kill deer, been there done that already.

We bought our bows about 3 months apart. My bow cam with a different riser and appears to be the 09 style but I don't know that for sure. He shoots his bow set to 65 lbs and I have mine cranked up to full down and backed off 1/4 turn...70lbs??? never measured it. His is a little more quite but not by much. Mine came with all the modules and a draw stop which I love. His a black string, mine yellow and green Martin colors. Both had bow jacks and now bow have Limbsavers.

The bow can be shot without a sling open handed. It is the deadest bow I've ever shot. Love the grip and would hate to use any other style now.

I think the IBO is 310 fps, but the new ones may be 320 fps. I have not checked the speed with the arrow I shoot. Based on how it has performed on deer so far I doubt I ever check it. No need.

After shooting my bow for 3 days I was shooting the Saber better than any bow I've ever owned. I can't believe the groups sizes I'm getting at 40 yards.

Buy one they only cost $289.00, heck buy two.

But what will people do with all the left over money :D...one of the better problems to have! Guess they can spend it on an out of state license somewhere with huge deer or elk :D

I shot a saber a while back and was very impressed, but I really like the CAT cams, so I have a firecat instead.

· Registered
192 Posts
I bought an 08 Saber as my first bow in july( no Bengals in stock so next best thing was gotten) and have been shooting 3-4 days per week 2-3 hours per session.

Have only shot a few other bows but the little Saber is the best feeling to me of that which I have shot, ( a few diffferent PSE, Hoyt etc) , no vibes, comparably quiet to everything else , even now with no string silencers on new string.

Love the easy change modules for DL, did it myself no press needed , and the DL stop on cam for a bit of fine tuning.

Love the 15lbs of pull adjustment, I started at 56lbs via the scale and have worked up to 65lbs, about 3 lbs per turn of screw, have about 2 more full turns to go up if need be.

Had to replace the stock string after about 4000 shots, some cable stretch in first 100-200. Didnt know I had to wax the string when I got it and had a bit of unnnoticed vane to buss cable contact when switching over to 2" blazer flights for a while that caused some premature wear and tear.

The bowjax silencers started tossing pieces of rubber off at about 500-1000 shots.

Tossed my first sight , now have a spothogg hoggitt 7 pinner , have no problems with 1.5 foot groupings at 80 yards ( the seventh pin), sight is worth almost as much as the bow now LOL. Its a tack driver under 40 yards, I like to compare my shooting to the big money target rigs at the range and my cheap little saber holds its own even at the longer distance stuff.

Rubber grip is wearing on back side right where webbing of hand is between thumb n forefinger, might do a very thin leather wrap over top of the grip. Everything else is holding up well.

Lost a bit of camo finish around the berger holes from loctite ( careful where you put the loctite it eats the cam dip finish )

Have never chronoed but calculator says I probably get about 255-265fps with my draw length/pds/grains and seems comparable speed wise to the guys who have chronoed and say they are at that speed range.

I will be buying a new bow for 09 and keeping the saber as backup, seriously looking at Martin Warthog based on my experience with the Saber and Martins good CS reputation.

Dave*

· Registered
1,109 Posts
I love this bow for the money. It is definitely quiet and about 280 fps can be attained with hunting arrows.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.