Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought one of these off Ebay. Looked at Martins site, but not much info there. Anybody have any specs for it, likes dislikes etc.
THANKS

·
Registered
4,058 Posts
Re-check the Martin Archery Site

They do have all of the specs for that bow on site. The speeds that they show for the cat are a little higher than I have been able to get, but the bow is a real shooter. I don't think that I have ever had a bow that I could count on hitting X's with better.

I use the Elite Nitrous X, 70 #, 29" draw length, and wish I had more time to shoot the target shoots. With the grip on that bow (I prefer the low angle), it seems to just fix on the target. Love the bow, wish it was 10 fps faster, but I am getting 285 fps at 70 # and 354 grain arrows (fast enough for real shoots). If you any specific questions, PM me and I'll be willing to walk you through any issues. :)

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
Excellent choice! i love mine. as far as speed, i can't testify to speeds that would be comperable to your setup because i shoot such light poundage. But it is the fastest bow I own right now. The bow really feels great in your hand, i especially love the grip angle.

·
Registered
756 Posts
martin sells junk

It was the worst bow a have ever owned. I sent back to the company twice. The second one I got back I never even shot. I was so discussed with it. It was slow, it vibrated alot and really didnt even shoot good. No one would buy it either. I sold alot of bows in my time and the most I ever lost from the purchase price was $125. This bow I lost over $300 But I was so happy to see it go. I will never by a martin product ever.

MARTIN SELLS JUNK[/B]

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
fingershooters said:
It was the worst bow a have ever owned. I sent back to the company twice. The second one I got back I never even shot. I was so discussed with it. It was slow, it vibrated alot and really didnt even shoot good. No one would buy it either. I sold alot of bows in my time and the most I ever lost from the purchase price was $125. This bow I lost over $300 But I was so happy to see it go. I will never by a martin product ever.

MARTIN SELLS JUNK
After seein gthis, I check all your posts and nearly the only thing you have contributed to this forum is negativity toward Martin.

The bows certainly are not junk by any means andd are exceptional shooting bows. I read all your "problems" and in the Shadowcats that I have seen, the only valid point you had was the cable guard hole tolerence is not very tight. But since I shoot the X-system, it is a non-factor for me.

The bow holds great, I like the 23° grip, others like the 17°. The cams are great, teh limb capture system is simple and extremely effective. I have not had my bow go out of time (though I have my own custom strings on my bows). The bow has a little recol, but is still quiet and give a good feeling on the shot.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
IMHO one of the best bow for Fita (target model with Nitrous X) :thumbs_up

·
Registered
756 Posts
martin bows are junk

Here was what was wrong with my first martiun bow and my last
The first problem was that on the riser in the grip area there was a burr caused by poor mill work. While shooting the bow it actually started to cut in my hand, so I took a file and filed it down. Now there is no paint on the grip area of the bow. The second problem that I had is that I ordered a 70 lbs bow and get 78 pound with the stock strings. I measured the strings and they are to your specifications. I wanted a bow that maxes out at 70 pounds not 80 pounds. The bow has the 8H limbs on it. The third thing that happened was that the cable guard keeps coming loose and rattling. The one thing I hate the most is a bow that rattles. I tightened the screw but after a couple days of shooting it would loosen up, but the screw was still tight. The tolerance of the cable guard and the hole in the riser is too large. So I had to epoxy the cable guard in the hole. The fourth thing I found wrong with the bow was when I removed the strings and spun the cams. The bottom cam was so tight that it only spun ½ turn. I tried filing down the bushing a little but it still wasn’t enough. I then switch the top wheel to the bottom and the bottom to the top. That fixed that problem. The fifth thing that I noticed is that I have over 1/6th” of play on the wheel. It seems that the axels are too small for the bearings. The sixth problem that I had with the bow was the fact one day the center shot moved. I took the whole bow apart. While removing the limb pocket bolts I noticed that one bolt was not even snug and the other was so tight I had to take out my ½” drive 24” breaker bar. I removed both pockets cleaned them up and then reinstalled them. I also noticed that the limb fits very loosely in the pocket. I think that the limb pockets should be tighter. The seventh thing I found wrong with the bow is on A cam the post for the cable is right at the bottom of the wheel. If you lean the bow against a wall standing up, after a while it will fray that cable. It a poor design. The last thing I noticed is that your spec sheets are wrong. I shoot a 28 ½” draw. Your spec sheet states that I should set the module for 2 ½. When I do that the draw length is only 28” This is my first Martin bow and the way things are turning out its going to be my last. I spend more time working on this bow then shooting it. So to summarize everything I have a Martin bow that needs the paint touched up on it. It also needs a pair of 7h limbs. The wheels and axels need to be checked and maybe replaced. Your spec sheet which was on your web site needs to be changed. The cable guard needs to removed and replaced with on that is tighter in the hole so it won’t rattle.

·
Bowhemian
8,300 Posts
MissTy said:
Excellent choice! i love mine. as far as speed, i can't testify to speeds that would be comperable to your setup because i shoot such light poundage. But it is the fastest bow I own right now. The bow really feels great in your hand, i especially love the grip angle.
Unless I'm mistaken you have a Razor-X. If so, how does it compare with the Shadow Cat in appearance and performance?

·
Registered
4,058 Posts
We are sorry fingershooters

That you were not happy. You may have had a bad bow, it happens sometimes to all companies. Did you send it back in for warranty work? Did you try to work out the issues with your dealer?

Perhaps I am not a trusting person, but in the words of a poet "ME THINKS THOUGH PROTESTH TOO MUCH". Makes me wonder if the bow was the problem or the person using the bow???? Maybe you had a few too man of these :beer: :beer: :beer: :cocktail: :cocktail: :beer: :beer: :cocktail: before you worked on the bow? :confused:

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
I am confused fingershooters, first you said you got rid of it, then in the next post it seems like you still have it. :confused: You might want to try a razorX if you shoot fingers as it has a longer axle to axle, making it very popular amongst finger shooters.

·
Registered
756 Posts
martin bows are junk

the second i got from the factory had bad limbs. They were cut wrong. Instead of cut at a 90 degree andle they were cut at 70 degrees. The spacers didn line up right. After sending two bows back and 4 months later I decided to buy another hoyt. This protec is the best bow I ever had. I sold the martin the other day. Brand new never shot. Hopefully he wont have problems with it. I did loose over $300 for trying a martin bow. I will never buy another one.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts