Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

· Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Friends- Help me!! I am going Martin Shoot Through "nuts"! In the past 2 mos, I have purchased 5 shoot through Martins, because I am sold on the system. They work! But now here is the dilema - oops give you a list first...2001 Scepter II, 2005 Shadowcat Nitrous A, 2006 Razor x nitrous b (only 38.5 ata!!?), 2005 P3 nitrous b, 2006 Slayer nitrous c. Gave the Slayer to son-in-law so it is gone. Any how, I wanted to use the Scepter II for 3d and league as it feels so good - balances perfectly and stable, but....it has fury x cams set up for a 29" shooter and I am a 28 thru 28.5. Cable twisting won't do it. So then bought the Razor x and it feels really good also but it has the wrong limbs as they are not the elite limbs that I want and with the nitrous "b" will not go to 28". Just got a Shadowcat (cool!!) with the nitrous "a" and was thinking of swapping the "a" cams to the Scepter II for the 28" draw adj 43"ATA or to the Razor x and limb change to get 45+ ATA and usinf the "a"s to get the same draw. Which would you suggest, Dear Martin reader, the Scepter with "A" mod or the Razor x with "A" and longer elite limbs? I can't make up my mind. And btw .. why one over the other? Thanks and please help....non-Martin shooters would never understand....and thank you! James

· Registered
3,467 Posts
Well if your shooting 3D the elite limbs are going to be to slow but awesome for indoors and field on the scepter. If shooting field & 3D I would us the shorter limbs on the scepter . The scepter is an awesome bow, but the shadow cat would work also !! tough choice I feel for ya !! lol

· Time Flies
13,298 Posts
Honestly, none of those setups are going to be speed demons, per say, but you could be OK depending on what your max yardage is. I mean...I took 4th in the Hunter Class at the IBO Worlds in 2010 shooting a Katera XL at only 273 feet per second.

If you wanted to make a good "do it all" bow, I would go with the Scepter II Elite and toss those Nitrous-X "A" cams on it. The DL will max out at about 28", and you'll be able to lengthen the modules all the way out to get the maximum wrap around them.

If you could, post some pictures of your Razor-X with Nitrous B cams...I've never heard of a configuration of the Razor that would yield a 38.5" ATA...

· Lowered expectations
20,222 Posts
Put the short limbs from the Razor X on the SII with the FuryX cams, and leave that bow alone.

Go to the son-in-law and do whatever it takes to get the Slayer back, and put it together with whatever Nitrous cams work for you.

Put the rest of your parts in a box for spares. Especially any limbs you might have.

· Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow what good advice - Boone, CherryJu1ce, and Stash ... Thank you. Three votes for the Scepter II - it does feel sooooo nice in hand, but so does the Razor-X. The Razor X will end up being 3 inches longer ATA and I think it will go down to 28" with Nitrous "A" cams. The Scepter II with short limbs sounds fun too but I am leaning on long ATA for stability. No version will be a barn burner but will be fast enough. The Razor X now has 14.0 inch limbs (says Razor SE) with Nitrous "B" and is 38.5 ATA and if I get time I will post a pic of it. It is a 60lber with the 2h limbs and realistically - out of all the bows, it has a "terror" draw cycle - very hard initially and feels like only 50% let off even though the cams modules say HL and the limbs are only 60 lbs. The Shadowcat with the "a" nitrous at 60 pulls so smoothly that my wife pulled it back (once) at 60 lbs and she normally shoots 40 lbs. Shadowcat has 6h elite limbs. The p3 (one I am shooting now as had first and was the one I took the time to set up) - shoots well at 38.5 ata nitous "b" elite limbs 5h (57 lbs.) But it doesn't feel as stable as the Scepter II with the Elite limbs. I will also admit it is fun to show up with the "old" Scepter II Camo and have people look at it (it has a few scratches) and they actually feel sorry for me. But I tell you what - it shoots like crazy! But alas - the draw is too long. Also dreaming of short ata P3 with the 13" limbs (maybe the fury x cams) so wife (who beats the socks off me at the range) can become a Martin shooter. She has only a 24.5 - 25 inch draw. If I could make that draw with the shadowcat that would be cool as it has a really neat riser, my personal favorite. So many things to scheme about in Martin land. Feel free, dear martin friends, to throw more ideas at me. Thank you so much for your time. Also - I could not blow the Slayer out of my son-in-laws hand with dynamite he loves it so much..but shooting next to him with his short stabiliser (Hunter class) it vibrates so much that his stabiliser came apart. We reglued it but man! This is so much fun.

· She's baaaaack!!!!
20,602 Posts
Part jest, part serious:
a) Throw the Elite limbs in the garbage.
b) Throw Fury cams in the garbage.
C) Use 14" limbs and Nitrous cams.
D) Like mentioned earlier get the Slayer back!

Really the first thing to do is get over believing you must use a 41+" bow to be accurate.

I have some Nitrous A cams I'll sell.

· Registered
2,375 Posts
I would like to to see the Razor X with 14.0 inch limbs (says Razor SE) with Nitrous "B" and 38.5 ATA.

· Registered
10,363 Posts
And... you could buy my Cougar III from me to add to your mix...
41 1/2" ata Elite NOS B X would fit you. ;)
had one very similiar, that bow shot very well for me.

Put the short limbs from the Razor X on the SII with the FuryX cams, and leave that bow alone.

Go to the son-in-law and do whatever it takes to get the Slayer back, and put it together with whatever Nitrous cams work for you.

Put the rest of your parts in a box for spares. Especially any limbs you might have.
Bingo!!! lol

crackers made a scepter mag, you could always do a search on that bow. smokin fast and very accurate from what i read...

· Time Flies
13,298 Posts
had one very similiar, that bow shot very well for me.

Bingo!!! lol

crackers made a scepter mag, you could always do a search on that bow. smokin fast and very accurate from what i read...
Meh...I wouldn't say the Scepter Mag is "smokin'" fast, but it's adequate if you have a long enough draw length. I had a Scepter II set up with Mag limbs and Nitrous-X B cams and the specs really aren't conducive to speed. Mine came out to 37.75" and had about 7.5" brace height...it had great specs for us short draw guys.

· has been that never was
14,362 Posts
Meh...I wouldn't say the Scepter Mag is "smokin'" fast, but it's adequate if you have a long enough draw length. I had a Scepter II set up with Mag limbs and Nitrous-X B cams and the specs really aren't conducive to speed. Mine came out to 37.75" and had about 7.5" brace height...it had great specs for us short draw guys.
The Scepter Mag/NoS B setup is still one of the best all around bow setups around.. I wish I still had mine.

· Registered
10,363 Posts
lol ok ok decently fast?? lol anyway it was a good bow.

· Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
.....P3 Elite limbs next to Razor x se with the limbs that give 38.5" ata. #2
.....p3 by itself...#3
Tape measure showing ATA on the Razor x SE @ 38.5 inches exactly....#4
and #5
....The razor x limb pics (4 and 5) and pic 6

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.