Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Martin Slayr question...PLEASE respond

I am thinking about getting myself a 2004 Martin Slayr with Nitrous Cams. I want a longer ATA bow, and have heard alot of great things about them. I just wanted to get some opinions from my trusted and knowledgable freinds here first before I make a final decision. Any and all opinions are welcome. Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
somebody help me out here, I know there are some Slayr shooters, and past Slayr shooters here................

·
Registered
384 Posts
Slayr for me!!!!

I purchased two slayrs last year which are identical for hunting purposes. I use to hunt with Martin Scepter II and made the switch. I find them short enough to get through the brush but long enough to retain excellent accuracy. As for speed, I'm shooting an arrow that is a little over 400 grains and getting speeds of over 280 fps with nitrous cams. I am amazed at getting those kinds of speeds when you consider that I use a 5" vane with a drastic helical fletch. As for accuracy, I find that they are extremely accurate. I do believe that it already has taken a few national titles also. As for me I am happy with my Slayrs and will continue using them. I currently use Scepter II's for targets. The scepters are a little longer and for hunting I wanted to use something shorter. I may switch my target Scepters for Slayers :thumbs_up in the future.

Good luck,

Norm :)

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
Good: The draw with the nitrous is so smooth. Nice solid wall. Holds like a rock. The bow is fast!

bad: Grip takes some time to get used to. Bow is over 5 pounds bare. Have virtually no resale value. I know I have owned and sold 2.

75% let off mods are nice if it does not have them.

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This bow will be used for hunting only. I have heard they are heavy, but compared to lugging my 10lb Weatherby 30-378 through the woods all day this will be a breeze. Thanks for the info guys, and any more opinions are welcomed.

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Best rifle I have EVER owned. I'm not really an advocate for magnum cartridges either, and I take alot of crap for carrying this beast, but this rifle is just awesome. Just be careful when shoting antelope with it. I tried it once. Not pretty. Works wonders on Elk and Moose though.

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ttt

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Slayr

grouse said:
Good: The draw with the nitrous is so smooth. Nice solid wall. Holds like a rock. The bow is fast!

bad: Grip takes some time to get used to. Bow is over 5 pounds bare. Have virtually no resale value. I know I have owned and sold 2.

75% let off mods are nice if it does not have them.
I owned one and sold it. I could not get used to the grip. I had to add material the the top of the grip to shoot it. I was going to have Johnson grip make me a grip that wraps around the top, but not at the bottom to change the grip angle. I ended up selling it instead.

All bows don't hold value....buy used.
I lost money selling it, but found another great bow (see sig.)

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
I really like the Slayr. I shot one last year for hunting and will do so again this year. I use Nitrous-X cams -- love teh shoot-through cables. I just got another pretty one (GRIVs black nickel one :tongue:) that I will be using for 3D and we'll see what else. I personally really like the grip angle. The bow holds great and shoots awesome.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts