Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
guys does anyone know what martin are using on there cougar 2

my string has stretched about 1-2 inches and all the serving around the cams has seperated after about 3000 shots.

not very good for a 4 month old bow

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
Ultracam.
1 -2 inches sounds little excessive. Ultracam has very low creep/stretch. Some serving seperation is normal and is usually nothing to worry about. If it's stretched that much, I would definately replace it. I would have no reservation about putting another Ultracam string on there again though. It's a great material. Get up with Newberry and he'll make you a great, high quality string at a price you just can't beat.

·
Registered
164 Posts
stevej

If it is a cougar 2 it may have s-4 on it, s-4 does stretch a little but not that much, how close is your cams to the string. ultra cam is a good string, and I have had no trouble out of them.

Call Martin they will help you out.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Normal??

Mike why is serving seperation on "any" wheel considered "Normal"? My Winners choice strings and even the ones that I used to make myself never seperated on the wheel!:rolleyes: Ken

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
I say "normal" as meaning that it's quite common to see serving seperation. High-end aftermarket strings that are served under greater tension will not experience the seperation that most stock strings do. In my experience though, I haven't noticed any real, negative results from some "minor" serving seperation. Whether or not his serving seperation is "normal", I don't know. It could be beyond acceptance and that could partially be the culprit for excessive string stretch.
just my thoughts.
I Bow 2 - how much tension do you serve your strings under? I'm new to making my own strings so I'm always looking for tips and ideas. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Crude methods!

Mike i was using the Bjorn server and tried to keep the spool tension just below the "breaking" point when using the #62 braided .018 & .021 material. I also started to use 1 back wrap for every 10 wraps to help lock the serving in also. Ken

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
My explanation??

Mike I'll try to explain my method for ya!:D Take your tag line (Long pig tail that you wrap the serving over) lay it along the string and wrap it ten times like normal. Then take the "tag line" and pull it back over the ten wraps you just did. Now make one more "Normal" wrap. Now pull the tag back along the string like you started with. That is my version of a back wrap. Hope that is clear enough for ya. Ken

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
I'm having a hard time visualizing it. Probably simple but if you could post a pic that would be a big help. Sorry for the troubles....but hey...I'm learning:D Thanks for your help

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Pic!

Mike I'll see if I can get ya something. Won't be till Monday tho. Ken

·
Registered
788 Posts
STEVEJ
my cougar 2 came with ultracam, like you i wasn't impressed with the string,that came of and a string made from 450 went on.i am just going back to using the ultracam for my strings as i have a bit more confidence in it now.i had the cables on my bow for almost a year (x cams) and they were still looking good .i didn't have any problem with string stretch with the ultracam before it took it of,and i can't see ultracam stretching like that.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I agree with the guys above. Ultracam shouldn't stretch like that. Sounds like a construction problem. I have cut open some stock strings that had no knots and tag ends with only 2" of serving over them. A string like that is going to move sooner or later (probably sooner!)

Mike sorry I haven't gotten you any pics up yet! Its been busy busy busy here (Not that I'm complaining).
Hopefully I can get caught up over the holiday weekend.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Sorry but I disagree with a string not moving if the tag ends aren't tied before serving (maybe stock strings like you said but I felt the need to clarify about custom made strings). I make quite a few and don't tie them, just cross and serve down them several inches and they don't move. Now I know I put alot more tension on my serving then I believe stock strings have.
I can't believe the string stretched 1"-2". I just made one up today that had "stretched" 3/4" and one last night that had "stretched" 1/2". These measurements were from specs. compared to what they actually were. 3/4" is about the longest I've seen. Might have been made too long to begin with so might not actually have stretched 3/4". With the materials available now a 2" stretch is unheard of. Had to be another factor involved I feel.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I agree also IA. I have made many strings without tying knots, but I do serve at least 6" or so over the loose ends, The strings I described had untied, uncrossed tag ends served with less than 2" of serving over them. Specifically they were fury X cables with 2.5" of serving at the limb anchor end, not the best place to locate your tag ends. I'm sure you, as I would, build the string so that the tag ends were on the cam end providing enough serving to secure them.
Serve 2" over a loose end, and give it a good pull. It will slip right out but not tying knots can produce great results when done as you describe.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts