Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a new Martin Takedown in my Dad closet when we were cleaning his house. It was purchased new around 1985/86? The riser has the look of a Warthog compound, but the tech guy at Martin archery was unable to help me. Does anyone have any expiereince with this? I was trying to find out if I could get different limbs,(they are 64# @28") and also what this bow may be worth? Thanks, Andy

·
Registered
20,572 Posts
NJ -

It might be a Martin Lynx or Cougar (vitually the same bow) and was a compound riser fitted with recurve limbs. The good news is it is a SUPER shooting bow, easy to tune and stable as a rock. Now for the bad news: If the bow is marked #64, it's probably closer to #68 or 70. (Mine, with #60 limbs weighs in at #74 at mt 29" draw, and my #50 turns out to be around #60.) Martin hasn't make limbs for that bow in years, you might try calling Martin, at the old Damon Howatt plant, worth a shot but it's not likely.

If you can post a picture I can tell you for sure.

Viper1 out.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Howatt made two takedown recurve models in the 80's that were sold under the Martin name - the Cougar Takedown (based on the wildly popular Cougar II/Cougar Magnum compound) and the MTD (based on the "A" riser Warthog Magnum compound). Both were based on the same limbs, with the Cougar Takedown being offered primarily with white glass. Sounds like you have one of the latter. As Viper pointed out, they were/are good shooters (and I heartily concur that they draw quite a bit heavier than marked!) I have three versions of the MTD in my collection: a "standard" MTD made with the "A" riser, a version with the "B" riser (laminated maple), and a version made with the "A+" riser that was offered in late '89 as a compound only. I also have two Cougar Takedowns, one with a green riser and brown glassed limbs and one with a gold riser and white glass.

I had the Howatt Plant make me a set of limbs for the MTD in the early '90s, but I doubt they would do it now. Too much time has passed and the models have been out of production for too long.

Howattman

1 - 3 of 3 Posts