Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
8,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK ArcheryTalk community, help me out!

I have narrowed my search to two bows that I want. I am considering a 40-50 pound Martin Warthog or a 50-60 pound PSE Bow Madness XL.

What are your thought from those of you THAT HAVE SHOT both bows?

Brand fan boys need not apply! I do not want to hear which brand is better. Has anyone shot these two bows?

I do not have the luxury of well stocked pro shops where I can go try them out.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I have shot both I like the Warthog better. I thought the BMXL had a little kick on the bottom after the shot especially at higher pounds. The martin it a little faster. and a fairly smooth draw.

·
Registered
8,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here is my logic!

Note: Keep in mind that sometimes things go wrong when I start thinking! :D

Martin Warthog
45 pound draw weight @ 29.5" draw length
Shooting a 382 grain arrow
Approximate speed 286 fps
Great speed for 3-D/Target
70 lbs. KE (8.5 grains per pound) for hunting

PSE Bow Madness XL
60 pound draw weight @ 29.5" draw length
Shooting a 385 grain arrow
Approximate speed 286 fps
Great speed for 3-D/Target
71 lbs. KE (6.4 grains per pound) for hunting

·
74,535 Posts
My thoughts

PSE Bow Madness XL is one of the better bows out there today.
DB

·
Registered
599 Posts
Humm....

Is that 45-60 and 55-70?

pretty positive that is right. I have a warthog that max's out at 60 pounds. I would back it down and measure it for you but someone broke the scale at the range..... I havent shot the bmxl but I did shoot an axe. I dont know how the axe and bmxl compare but I thought the axe was a great bow. One thing that I like about PSE is the grips they have. But I also really like my warthog, but I prefer the draw of a binary. I really dont think you can go wrong with either bow.

·
Registered
8,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I really dont think you can go wrong with either bow.
I agree, so I am not terribly worried about it.

I have always shot Mathews so the BMXL is appealing since it is a single cam. I also know that the CAT cams are picky when it comes to tuning.

I do however like the idea of drawing 45 pounds! ;) That would feel next to nothing after drawing my 70# hunting bow and still getting the same speeds!

·
Registered
5,466 Posts
I've shot both, been around guys with both A LOT and have only one recommendation here.....

PSE all the way.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have shot both

I currently own a WartHog, and used to own a BMXL.

My $.02

the draw on the BMXL was a little smoother,(as it's a single cam).
I like the longer ATA it has.... but for me that where the advantages of the BMXL stop

The WartHog is a bit sensative to tuning/timing, but once we got it right.... whew... it's a screamer. It has a fairly smooth draw, and a rock solid wall. mine is a 55-70# and it's max is at 76#, I like the speed it provides (330 fps with a 350 gr arrow @ 30" DL. and yes they all have a 15 lb weight range.

Overall you really cannot go wrong with either bow. They are both very good machines IMO. It just comes down to a personal preference on exactly what you want/ want to accomplish.:shade:

·
She's baaaaack!!!!
20,515 Posts
Humm....

Can you even get the Warthog in that low of poundage? I looked at the Martin website and it shows 60# and 70#.

Is that 50-60 and 60-70?

OR

Is that 45-60 and 55-70?
At the risk of being a "fan boy" and I haven't shot the PSE............

I set up a WartHog for my father. He shoots at about 50 lbs. with about a 27.25" draw. He's 71. He gets in the low 280's with (I think) about a 285 grain arrow for 3D.

It is a 35 - 50 lb. bow. Yes you can get them with less than a 60 lb. max. I'm quite sure you could even order it at 40 - 55 lbs. The C.A.T. cam bows can be tuned so that there is NOT a big hump on the end of the draw cycle. For health reasons this is important for my father. Personally I can't stand a big hump and then a big drop into the wall. I find it uncomfortable to let down when the cam has a big "hump" and then a steep drop to a high let-off but that's me. I also need to have more than 12 lbs. of holdingweight to shoot accurately. I tweaked my fathers holding wait up a bit and he holds steadier.

I don't know what exactly you like or want in a bow but the WartHog is a smooth shooter with plenty of speed. If it came in my draw length I'd have a pair of them for hunting, 3D and even spot shooting.........it "holds". I don't know if it matters to you but you can fully disassemble the WartHog WITHOUT a bow press. The limb bolts back out far enough to do this without hurting anything. A press isn't required for tweaking cable and string lengths for a perfect tune or even replacing the cables and strings. You can learn a lot about tweaking a bow without a bow press.

The WartHog will do everything that needs to be done at your draw length and preferred draw weight without breaking the bank.

I read where you've been shooting single cam bows. If you go to any dual cam bow you'll have to get used to the change. Tweak the WartHog and it will roll smooth...

·
Registered
304 Posts
PSE vs Martin

I have shot the Warthog and PSE and the PSE wins, in my estimation, hands down on all accounts. I have not used PSE service for several years but Martin service seems to be one of the best. The one big thing about the Warthog is it has a three piece riser system that on the bow I shot din not show any problems but after four months of a Shadowcat back order and every reason given for the hold up is the three pc. riser problems I would walk not run from the Warthog. I can highly recommend the Alpha Burner that my son shoots for outdoors and hunting. I gave up on Martin and went with a Maxis 35.

·
Registered
8,222 Posts
I feel sorry for you, you have a tough choice:smile:. I like Martin bows and the company. the warthog is a good bow period, on the flip side the quality and shootability of the BMXL is amazing, and yet to find anyone shooting one that isnt happy with it. good Luck :D

·
Registered
304 Posts
I currently own a WartHog, and used to own a BMXL.

My $.02

the draw on the BMXL was a little smoother,(as it's a single cam).
I like the longer ATA it has.... but for me that where the advantages of the BMXL stop

The WartHog is a bit sensative to tuning/timing, but once we got it right.... whew... it's a screamer. It has a fairly smooth draw, and a rock solid wall. mine is a 55-70# and it's max is at 76#, I like the speed it provides (330 fps with a 350 gr arrow @ 30" DL. and yes they all have a 15 lb weight range.

Overall you really cannot go wrong with either bow. They are both very good machines IMO. It just comes down to a personal preference on exactly what you want/ want to accomplish.:shade:

I hope that you will not be on here complaining about limb trouble when you are cranking your bow almost ten percent more than they were designed for.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Dont let anyone BS you about the risers,Ive been shooting my Warthog and Moab for 2 yrs. now 0 problems. I did change the Warthog to a single cam bacause I just loved the way the Moab shot.(Dont try to order one,they dont make them.) The decision is yours,both are great bows.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Should have clarified.....

I hope that you will not be on here complaining about limb trouble when you are cranking your bow almost ten percent more than they were designed for.
Sorry I should have made it a bit more clear, I was just stating the range. I have it set at 70#.

·
Registered
8,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The one big thing about the Warthog is it has a three piece riser system that on the bow I shot did not show any problems but after four months of a Shadowcat back order and every reason given for the hold up is the three pc. riser problems. I would walk not run from the Warthog.

Dont let anyone BS you about the risers,Ive been shooting my Warthog and Moab for 2 yrs. now 0 problems.
What is this three piece riser on the Martin?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts