Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Katie Smith blasted on the scene and raised the bar to a near unattainable level, and rewrote the book about what women could do in archery. At 5' 7" and 98#, She taught us that anyone can do it, and you don't have to be a big burly man to participate.

She won Vegas an unprecidented 7 times in a row. She showed us that women can shoot the same scores as the men.

In one year she won every major tournament held.

·
74,535 Posts
I just know

Someones going to comment her form is not right. I think works for here. She is diffantly one of the many archery legends. Griv dont tell them woman they can shoot as good as men!

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
She is an icon in my mind as far as mentally tough competitors. Lots of us can shoot good but that woman let nothing rattle her cage.
Awesome!

Sean

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
I agree she is an icon in the sport. She is missed by many in the sport. We were lucky to have her a part of this history of archery. And she is even wearing a cool shirt...just like one I have. :)

·
Grand Master
440 Posts
KATIE SMITH-------WWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWW

I owe this lady an awful lot. She was the Pro Staff Director for Martin Archery when I turned Pro in 1986 (rookie year)

My first tournament as a Pro was the Coors Silver Dollar in Colorado. My first day's score was so bad, I thought Katie was going to ask me to give my bow back to Martin. At dinner that night she told me to just relax and do the best I could, because Martin's Staff was made up of people not scores. I was there because of who I am not just what I could do. The next day I did better and 2 tournaments later I shot my first perfect score in a Pro Tourny.

A year later I won my first Professional Archery Associatoin's National Championship along with one of Katie's many. I have a picture of the two of us from that event in St. Louis.

I cannot think of her without it having a strong effect on me personaly. She is more than an Icon to me and I do miss her.

·
Urban Archery
3,814 Posts
As a young archer in a country far from the US we didn't hear about many of the US Pro archers. But we knew who Katie Smith was. I hope her names lasts in archery for a long time.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
DB....To many here worry about form..... They actually need to go and shoot......What works for one doesnt mean we all have to do it........:D BTW...What a lady she was....Where is she now??????

·
Registered
8,652 Posts
What is the rest of the Story?

I have only heard bits and pieces about Katie. Evidently she was the best female archer to ever pick up a bow. I read that her bows were stolen at Vegas one year and that it turned her off so bad that she never shot again. With her incredible talent and with her life centered around archery, why did she not return to the game eventually? What has become of her now. How old would she be if she were shooting today?
Thanks,
Jbird

·
X's R Us
3,458 Posts
She passed away not sure when read about it on of my US Archer magazines couple of years ago.

·
Archery Coach
23,291 Posts
I remember there was a debate as to who was the greatest archer of all time. My choice is Darrell Pace but I also noted that there were some things that stand out as performances worthy of inclusion in the all time record book

These include, in no particular order (there are others of course)

1) Terry Ragsdale cleaning Vegas-shooting that clean field round

2) Vic Berger shooting 899/900 with a recurve at Vegas

3)Chappelle cleaning Bedford

4) Pace winning two gold medals, breaking 1300 and having a record that lasted 10 years in the FITA

5) Kim, Soo Nyungs dominance in recurve archery

6) Katie Smith winning vegas so many years in a row-tying the top man at least once.

·
Registered
8,745 Posts
I never met Katie, nor did I ever get to see her shoot; but I admire her and try to emulate her Intenseity at the shooting line.
I have a photo of her that I always put on the archery fence near me, so that I can remember her and do my best to shoot my best.

Dick

Attachments

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
My friend Katie!

I miss her a lot. When she was in her prime we became good friends. She had a large influence on me as far as intensity and focus. However, I was never able to equal her application of it to her game. It was her that encouraged me to get a sport psychologist. It was her that first told me to "write down a shot sequence list" I wish she were around this day to give me more advice. I really need it. On the range she was fierce, but off the range indoor or out, she was one if the nicest persons I ever met. When she walked into the hall at Vegas, it was "ALL BUSINESS" Some folks thought this to be arrogance but it was just her level of concentration. Her job at Vegas was to win, nothing more nothing less.

We miss you Katie! :(

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
Thanks

For a great post Griv.

Dee & Gene.. it must of been something to have been there and known the lady. Thank you both for sharing.

I don't know about anyone else?.. But I'll read all the stories you want to share. :D

Thank you for your time. WR

1 - 14 of 14 Posts