Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
lLooking at the various models for a new guy starting out in traditional archery and the x-200 looks like a good choice. But I'm wondering if I can shoot this bow off the shelf without having to file or sand anything. I think the term is crowned. The adds say it comes with a rest. But I want to shoot it off the shelf.

Thanks Flatiron

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I shoot the Martin X-200 (40#@28") of the shelf and it works just fine. Please don't go filing the crown off of the shelf; it will do no good. I have used the commercially available soft leather rest that has its own glue and that is really all you will need. You will, of course, want to save the little plastic flipper rest the bow comes with as you may want to try it later (it works pretty well). I have also used Mole Skin as a rest material and that also works OK.

Frankly, the only thing I have had to do to this bow is to re-work some of the edges on the nocks as they were causing accelerated wear on my strings. Just some light careful rounding off of some edges that apparently were overlooked and now the bow is great.

By the way, I tried an experiment and left the bow strung for several months. I used the bow nearly every day and kept a careful eye out for any sign of string follow (I got the idea from some other archer who does the same thing with his fiberglass bows). Result was that I detected no string follow or any decrease in performance of the bow. Apparently, fiberglass bows (even with the wood core and all, these really are fiberglass bows) don't have the problem of string follow that wood does.

As much as I like and enjoy shooting the X-200, I feel it is only fair to mention that my favorite bow is still a beatup old Pearson recurve (52", 45#@28: Spectre Model) I bought for a paltry $30.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I had an X-200 and it was a good bow, you don't have to do anything to it. Just get a leather rest plate or some Bear hair for a rest. Works great.

·
Registered
417 Posts
It is relatively easy to create a crown on the shelf without resorting to a wood rasp. In fact it can be as simple as glueing a piece of leather thong across the shelf and up the side of the riser a short distance then covering it with a patch of leather, thus affording minimal contact with the arrow shaft and adequate protection for the bow finish.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts