Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I will be going to Maryland this year to bowhunt, I have heard there is a good population of does. I have not had a single ounce of deer since last Christmas due to the birth of my new born son. Therefore I am looking to fill my freezer. I will be staying with a friend in Central Maryland. Unfortunately I don't have the luxury to scout and setup the proper way to be successful. I have called the DNR in MD but did not get much information. I also looked at the web site but again there is many choices but not sure where should I direct my energies.

If someone could point me in the right direction....I will be in debt to you

Thank you in advance

Mike

·
Registered
125 Posts
Central MD is pretty good, although you might want to stay away from Cunningham Falls area. Tends to become a "war zone" (LOTS of hunters). You may want to take a trip to Seneca Falls also, pretty good population.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
tell me where you going to be iand i may can help you

·
Don't Blink!
3,140 Posts
Public areas close to Clarksville: WSSC manages the hunting allowed on the Triadelphia reservoir, you'll need a seasonal permit (I think it's $30). You can get it at the Brighton Dam office on Brighton Dam Road. Also take a look at the Patuxent River State Park...close to 9,000 acres but has limited # of access points, so long walks are a must.

·
Registered
13 Posts
You may wish to look at the Patuxent Research Refuge (formally called the Fort Meade Military Reservation). Contact the control station for specific information. It limits the number of hunters in an area for safety. Also, all hunters must demonstrate accuracy with their bow and/or firearm. They also practice QDM.

http://www.fws.gov/northeast/patuxent/prrdefault.html

·
Registered
719 Posts
HuntMaryland said:
You may wish to look at the Patuxent Research Refuge (formally called the Fort Meade Military Reservation). Contact the control station for specific information. It limits the number of hunters in an area for safety. Also, all hunters must demonstrate accuracy with their bow and/or firearm. They also practice QDM.

http://www.fws.gov/northeast/patuxent/prrdefault.html
Yep you have to qualify. It cost around $20 without the membership for the year. With bow you have to hit three out of five arrows at some 3D targets at various ranges.
Shotgun is 3 out of 5 in an 8" circle at 40 yards
ML is 2 out of 3 in and 8" circle at 40 yards also.

They have a ton of land and you check out an area, so this way you are asured that no one else is in the same block of woods as you are.

·
Killing&Grilling in MD
415 Posts
Meade

Nosdog2 said:
Yep you have to qualify. It cost around $20 without the membership for the year. With bow you have to hit three out of five arrows at some 3D targets at various ranges.
Shotgun is 3 out of 5 in an 8" circle at 40 yards
ML is 2 out of 3 in and 8" circle at 40 yards also.

They have a ton of land and you check out an area, so this way you are asured that no one else is in the same block of woods as you are.

I just quailified yesterday there.Its $50 dollars not $20.The good thing is you don't have to pay again to qualify with gun/muzz

·
When's bow season start?
8,909 Posts
Hey, John, long time, no see! :ROFLMAO:

Mikey, follow Hockeybuck's advice and check out marylandwhitetail.com. You'll find out all the info you need to know about where to go.

·
When's bow season start?
8,909 Posts
Hey Surf, a local!

Do you hunt local?

·
Registered
468 Posts
lambs knoll

M,

Check out Lamb's knoll on South Mountain...call a buddy of mine, Al Preston, assistant manager at 301-432-8065...done a good bit of scouting and it looks great.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Maryland is for meat!

If it's meat you are after you can harvest unlimited does in Anne Arundel, Baltimore, Howard, Montgomery, and Prince George's counties. Surf and BDHNTR, I live in Bel Air. Glad to see more locals on here!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Cool beans, good to see locals online. Still trying to figure out some of these landowners here "Hazzard" county.

Ferrigno92 said:
If it's meat you are after you can harvest unlimited does in Anne Arundel, Baltimore, Howard, Montgomery, and Prince George's counties. Surf and BDHNTR, I live in Bel Air. Glad to see more locals on here!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts