Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please relate any experiences with some of the Martin, Bear, Internature, etc. bows that are available, off the shelf. I am looking for a moderately priced bow, preferably not too short, for 3D and field, not hunting. I will be shooting wooden arrows (475-500gr) and have a field target at 80 yards. That is difficult to reach, especially with a 27" draw, when I don't want to pull more than 45 lbs.
Please relate any experiences with relative power, hand shock, stacking, stability, durability, etc.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I've had the opportunity to shoot the Martin savannah and vision, Bear montana and patriot, and the internature viper. Best bang for the buck goes to the Internature viper. It's a good looking bow, well made and shoots really well. It does have a little buzz in the hand, but nothing major. It's definately a longbow at 68" in length. My over all favorite though is the savannah. Very smooth, surprisingly fast and dead in the hand. I really like the 62" length. The vision is nice and shoots well with no handshock, the savannah just feels better for me. The bear montana is a nice little bow with minimal handshock, but it seems to not feel as smooth as the others to me. I never really did like the Patriot. It just didn't feel good to me and was a little to noisy for my liking.

·
Premium Member
5,344 Posts
In my limited experience with them, the Samick/Internature bows can be hit or miss. I've read lots of good, and lots of not-so-good about them. I've only handled two myself--one longbow, and one recurve--and both were not-so-good. The recurve was a take-down, and the pocket for the limb was screwed onto the riser crooked and was causing the limb to twist. The longbow just wasn't right--several of us tried, and we just couldn't get that thing to shoot. My experience with the recurve was pretty recent, the longbow was two or three years ago.

Held a Montanna, but didn't shoot it. Didn't like the grip at all, but have heard it's improved lately. Shot a Martin Vision--fast and fairly smooth, felt very much like a recurve. Haven't had a chance to shoot a Savannah, but have heard nothing but good reports on it. Down side is you can get a nice custom longbow in the same price range as the Vision and Savannah. The Stick and Twig are smooth, but slow and shocky.

With a 27" draw you shouldn't have a problem with stacking on any over the counter bow. For speed, the Vision is tops of the ones I have shot, and from what I've read the Savannah will hang right in there also.

Chad

·
Registered
378 Posts
Several good bows have been mentioned, but of those I have shot I prefer and bought one of the Bear Patriot bows that Byron Ferguson designed. Smooth, fast, and accurate. Good luck in your search and shoot as many as you can before you buy.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info. Considering that I am looking to purchase primarily for power/lb, could you address this issue?

·
Registered
522 Posts
engtee,
I just purchased a Martin Mountineer long bow. 55# @ 28", 68" amo length. I shot a 3-D course with it this past weekend. It is smooth, fast and packs a punch. Little to no hand shock. No stacking and is very quiet. I had no problem reaching the long target ( 80 yds ) with this bow. And I am only drawing 26 1/2". It is reasonably priced and is an attractive bow. My arrows are 450 grains so you wouldn't have any problems with your set up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts