Archery Talk Forum banner

Mass Weight... Whats the truth??

782 6
How does a bows mass weight effect the shooter in terms of holding on target, accuracy, form and follow through? Ive always heard that heavier bows are easier to hold steadier due to wind resistance... But a lighter bow is easier to hold steady longer...

Any input on this topic???
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
2,704 Posts
kills me to see a guy drop 1300 on the carbon bow then screw on a 4 lb. stab
for me its a trade off light bows carry in easy but heavy holds better on target

· Registered
3,857 Posts
I would drop 2000$ on a bow if it was 2lb mass - then add another 5 lb of weights where i want it and how i want it.

Heavy bow isn't necessary a good thing ... but heavy, well balanced bow will do wonders. Trick is to find a magic spot in between , something that You can comfortably hold and shoot without fatigue getting in a way.

For fita shoots or spots i choose heavy setup , but prepping for 3d my bows will go on diet. It is hard to haul 8lb +/- rig and long stabs in the woods. ( me thinks ) lol

Btw , lighter bow isn't exactly easier to hold longer... it is the high let-off helping your muscles extend time before fatigue kicks in.

· have bow-will travel
3,997 Posts
Jabs, here it is. The heavier bow will hold steadier, BUT near the end of you shooting sessions it will start to wear on you and then will cause problems. A better solution IMO and one suggested by some top level shooters is to decrease the mass weight of your rig but lower your percentage of let-off, this way the increased holding tension will help keep you steady. With the set-up like this you can stay accurate throughout the whole shooting event and not "tank" in the stretch.Try it, I promise it will be to your liking.

Tony

· Registered
7,049 Posts
I would drop 2000$ on a bow if it was 2lb mass - then add another 5 lb of weights where i want it and how i want it.

Heavy bow isn't necessary a good thing ... but heavy, well balanced bow will do wonders. Trick is to find a magic spot in between , something that You can comfortably hold and shoot without fatigue getting in a way.

For fita shoots or spots i choose heavy setup , but prepping for 3d my bows will go on diet. It is hard to haul 8lb +/- rig and long stabs in the woods. ( me thinks ) lol

Btw , lighter bow isn't exactly easier to hold longer... it is the high let-off helping your muscles extend time before fatigue kicks in.
Jabs, here it is. The heavier bow will hold steadier, BUT near the end of you shooting sessions it will start to wear on you and then will cause problems. A better solution IMO and one suggested by some top level shooters is to decrease the mass weight of your rig but lower your percentage of let-off, this way the increased holding tension will help keep you steady. With the set-up like this you can stay accurate throughout the whole shooting event and not "tank" in the stretch.Try it, I promise it will be to your liking.

Tony
I agree, balance is a big thing and one of the nice things about the Element and Matrix both bows carry their weight out towards the limbs and sit well in the hand. Let off is a good way to improve your steadiness less let off as Standsitter said will help you shoot better, yeah everyone wants high let off these days but they want it so they can crank back a heavy bow and be able to hold it but holding so little weight allows you to fidget around and makes you more prone to moving or creeping at the shot. Randy

· Hunter/Gatherer
13,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Tony
That makes a lot of sense. Ive never considered how let off affects accuracy....hmmmm

· Shootin and Cussin
27,259 Posts
The truth is.....

I like lighter bows then I add a bunch of weight to get them balance out. That weight can be added in numerous ways. The lighter the bow to start with, them more options I have for adding weight.

That's the truth...... At least from my point of view.

I also like lower letoff.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.