Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How has posted property affected you?
Posted property in Massachusetts is going to be the a big topic one of these days.. but really, it already is. I've had to take a couple years off from hunting (painful to admit.. but true) and it is already a tough choice deciding where to start hunting again... even IF I can.

In my opinion, there should be an updated sign on posted land... It should be checked by wardens (although I have no idea what is involved). If no new date is visible, it should be considered open land... but... if it is updated, we (hunters) should really start to respect the land owners choice.

please share your thoughts.. I don't want to start a war with land owners and hunters, but we have a choice to be respectful to them... or go the old fashion rout of cutting down the posted sign... which should not happen

·
Heavy Hitter
2,525 Posts
Wait what? I really don't understand what the question is, you want landowners to update the dates on their no trespassing signs in order to keep their land private? That makes no sense

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wait what? I really don't understand what the question is, you want landowners to update the dates on their no trespassing signs in order to keep their land private? That makes no sense
I didn't phrase my comment correctly.. it didn't make much sense to me either.. by example, I have hunters shooting all around my house on land that is not posted... I think the guy who owns it does not want anyone on it, yet he does not post it and cars show up regularly.. I just get tossed in the middle of these debates every gun season

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In mass signs need to have land owner contact info on them and need to be updated every year to be legal and every 600 feet
I drive around a lot to look at areas for my wildlife art work, birdwatching and I always have deer hunting in the back of my mind. There are many, many spots that are open to hunting if that is completely accurate. If I see one old posted sign on a worthy stretch of land, and no house or property owner is visible, that land is open... or do you have to know all access/entry areas to that spot to make sure it's not posted?

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
There differing philosophies and laws depending on the state. In NH if it's not posted, it's open. This tradition goes WAY back and won't ever change. However the second you are asked to leave by the land owner, then posted or not, it's considered posted for you.

Posted also has strict definitions, but all this does is change the penalties if you get caught. If land isn't "correctly" posted (which is damn near impossible), all that does is change the penalty you get for trespassing. It's weird.

As for having to update the sign. Don't agree, the burden should be on the hunter not the land owner. A very little bit of leg work going to town hall will get you who owns any land. Then ask them.

·
Registered
398 Posts
How do you update a posted sign? That makes no sense. If the sign is up and visible its posted. Do you have to change to a different color every year and from "2015" across the sign? Ridiculous. Definitely agree the burden should be on the hunter not the landowner.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
updating a posted sign does not make much sense to me either.. but.. There are two local spots I have wanted to stop at for years and they are both literally on the border of two towns and no house is close by to ask.. both have very old posted signs, both of which you can hardly see unless you are looking for them... and some signs have fallen off the fence posts or wire, and much of the wire is down too! would they still be considered legally posted if they are barely visible.
My personal concern is having anyone knowing about these spots but family because once I ask, many people start knowing about them.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How do you update a posted sign? That makes no sense. If the sign is up and visible its posted. Do you have to change to a different color every year and from "2015" across the sign? Ridiculous. Definitely agree the burden should be on the hunter not the landowner.
certainly not every year... but if you've avoided lands that are no longer owned by the same party, yet still posted, shouldn't there be a realistic posted timeline... like being posted for 5-10 years and have property owners check them to see they are still showing

·
Registered
151 Posts
i am going through a situation right now about someone illeagally posting some land during the season it states in the mass law about updating every year I was just quoting the law doesn't make much sense to me either.the other issue is each town has there own laws about hunting and property but good luck trying to get a straight answer out of a police station they either don't want u hunting there or don't know.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
The town offices will have info on who owns the land. I have tracked down areas through these offices in the past, just because it's posted doesn't mean you can't hunt it. You just need to have permission. and the only way to get permission is to ask the land owner.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
HAHAHAHAHAHA man, I lived in that state for 1yr almost exactly... I've never seen such ridiculous laws until I moved there... this would be a classic case of the weird mindset of the liberal agenda...

Here's how it works down here in the south... if it's not yours, don't come on it, thats trespassing... up there, if the landowner doesn't take the time or money to keep posting it, your allowed to walk onto land they pay taxes on and you can use it... makes no sense what so ever...

Landowner buys it, pays taxes on it, and has insurance... but anyone can walk onto it and use it lol.... ***??

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
HAHAHAHAHAHA man, I lived in that state for 1yr almost exactly... I've never seen such ridiculous laws until I moved there... this would be a classic case of the weird mindset of the liberal agenda...

Here's how it works down here in the south... if it's not yours, don't come on it, thats trespassing... up there, if the landowner doesn't take the time or money to keep posting it, your allowed to walk onto land they pay taxes on and you can use it... makes no sense what so ever...

Landowner buys it, pays taxes on it, and has insurance... but anyone can walk onto it and use it lol.... ***??
I couldn't agree more

·
Registered
113 Posts
I know this is an older thread and it has already been mentioned, but in my town of Taxachusetts I actually have to file paperwork to hunt on land I get permission. I need to have a "permission slip" on the dash of my vehicle, the police station gets one, and so does the land owner.

·
Registered
180 Posts
posted or not, if the land is private owned you don't hunt it or go on it.

it should not be the land owners responsibility to keep trespassers out or make sure it is posted...private means "private".

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
posted or not, if the land is private owned you don't hunt it or go on it.

it should not be the land owners responsibility to keep trespassers out or make sure it is posted...private means "private".
it's the 'or not' that is the confusing part when trying to find a spot to set up. As the population continues to rise, it's important for private land owners to be very clear on what is 'theirs'. This will obviously change from town to town and from state to state... I was only basing my thread locally. I can only hope that the beautiful private/public lands don't become something you ONLY see the further west you go.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
When I was up there, it was my understanding that "IF" you posted your land to keep people off, your property taxes went up drastically... If you didn't post it, you paid the lower tax rate, but it could be used by all as if it was basically public land. The land users would have to leave if you asked them, but it caused you to have to police your land. If you have asked them to not use it before, and the same party returns and you have proof, then it is considered trespassing... however first time users are not trespassing, as the land isn't marked... Which is one of the reasons I moved back south... oh, and the 10-15' tall snow banks on the side on 495 in the winter. I think that was the winter of 2000 or 2001...

The year I lived there, I lived in Pepperell MA, which is just south of Nashua NH. I didn't hunt that year while I was there, as I was new and was there for work. I had the oppurtunity to settle down there if I wanted but I chose not too. I did ton's of traveling for work during that time, all over New England. I recall seeing deer 2-3x's in that entire year, and it was always in Maine. I think it was in York, and another time on the side of 95 heading to Portland... I never saw one deer in MA or NH. The fishing was pretty darn good though, when the water wasn't hard, and this guy from the south wasn't about to ice fish lol...

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Here in mass, the regulations vary from town to town. I hunt in several different towns. Some you need written landowner permission, some you need just permission . Some of these areas are posted no trespassing. It takes a lot of leg work but if you score some property that is not pressured do to it being posted your success rate will increase 10 fold. Remember this though, treat it as your own and help maintain good neighbor relationships will go a long way in scoring more properties . Most land owners with larger trecks of land in this small state usally know other land owners that might allow you into some prime deer woods. Good luck

1 - 18 of 18 Posts