Archery Talk Forum banner

Defien a matche sset of limbs?

• Matched limbs are a pair made side by side as a set

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • Matched limbs a 2 limbs than bend the same but are not made in a matched set?

Votes: 8 61.5%

• Total voters
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
what difference does it make, do all if any manufactures have "matched limbs" ???? just shoot the bows and stop complaining, agian us being mostly hunters does it matter ???? I don't think so ( JMO ) :eek:

·
Registered
349 Posts
I agree. If I have a limb crack, I would prefer to have both replaced, and I think the manufacturer should send two. But, I guess it all boils down to if they fix the bow right, and if one limb will make the bow right again, then it's hard to complain.

I know this thread is aimed toward a certain company with a "single" mindset, so maybe it's only proper that they send out one limb. :D

·
Registered
349 Posts
I forgot to add, I think Matt McPherson said it best when he told me "there is no such thing as a perfect design or product. It just depends on how big your microscope is to see the flaws". I can't agree more. So if you agree with this theory, there are no "perfectly" matched limbs, only matched to what degree you measure them by.

·
Registered
6,639 Posts
I think in reality you will find very, very few, if any for that matter, are manufactured side by side (and then cut in 1/2 for a pair, 1/4's for two pair of split, or whatever). Most I've seen are produced individually, then tested on a machine which measures something like the pounds of pressure it takes to bend the limb a specified distance. Limbs within a range of "x" deflection are grouped together, those w/in a range of "y" are grouped together, etc., etc..

Doesn't even have to be a consistent means of measurement from manufacturer to manufacturer in terms of what that specific deflection "number" is. The bow manufacturer knows via their own engineering shop which deflection is needed to produce a specific draw weight for a specific riser, cam(s), draw length, etc. for each of their bows. As long as the limbs are matched reasonable close there shouldn't be a problem tuning and shooting the bow. Most, myself included, probably can't tell if there is a subtle difference in the limb deflection for a pair anyways. Not as critical as some are making it sound, imo.

Just my observations anyhow................................ :)

>>------------->

·
Registered
275 Posts
My perception of a matched pair of limbs is 2 limbs, pressed in the same press with the same deflection.
A step down from that would be 2 limbs pressed in different presses of the same shape but having the same deflection number.
If you press a 3.5"- 4" wide blank, And cut them in half to make a pair................with the methods I use to press limbs, this would create a blank that would be thicker on the edges and thinest in the middle. Then cut this in half and you have a limb that is thicker on one edge, thicker on the other. it can't make a "balanced" pair of limbs. this would make a pair of limbs that would be weaker near the cut that seperates them into 2 limbs.
Looks like a weak limb tip to me............Dave

1 - 6 of 6 Posts