Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How would one go about matching your poundage with the spine of your arrow? I have a Bowtech Tomkat (#60-70) and GoldTip Hunter Pro 5575 arrows. I ask this because I hear the arrows are under spined and I want to shoot around #65.

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
There are some charts that give you a good ballpark idea, although some of today's faster bows will need stiffer arrows than represented by the generic charts. Computer programs like OT2 and TAP are best. You have essentially four things to tweak when dealing with spine: the rated spine of the arrow (.400, .340, .300, etc), the weight of the point, the length of the shaft, and the draw weight of the bow. Lighter points or shorter shafts will effectively stiffen an arrow, and lower poundage doesn't need as stiff of an arrow.

Your Bowtech Tomkat at 65 lbs. would probably be OK with 55/75 (.400) spine arrows if you have a shorter draw length and/or can run a short arrow shaft. If you want to run an arrow 28" or longer with 100 grain heads you better think about a .340 shaft.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts