Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been shooting this XT version with 70lb limbs and now at 64 years old I’m having trouble in cold weather drawing This weight. I really like the bow and can’t afford a new one.
In 2022, can I still switch these to 50-60 pound limbs? Are they hard to find? Is this a DIY project or better with archery shop?

thanks

·
Shootin and Cussin
26,389 Posts
Have your dealer reach out to Mathews. They still have the limbs.

If it were me I'd find a 60# bow and buy it and sell my 70#.

Reactions: tnarb and Mindful

·
Registered
407 Posts
I love my Switchback and have shoulder issues as well. I ended up selling my 70# and buying a 60# that serves me just fine. The 60# are a little harder to find on A.T. If you are able to buy limbs from Mathews, I believe you will find they will be black in color…..

·
Registered
15,424 Posts
Mathews will still make the limbs for the switchback however camo isn't available anymore. Unfortunately their prices have increased and will now be around $300. Honestly though, as mentioned above it may be easier and cheaper to buy a 60# bow and sell the other.
Watch Ebay closely as they do show up there from time to time. Also know that other model limbs are an exact match as well.. you can use limbs from the original switchback, S2, outback and lx.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
54,202 Posts
Switchback XT bows are getting harder to find and used they still command a good price.
See you Mathews dealer to get them as others said. Also like they said they will only come in black.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Hard to find? Yes. Timing is everything and you might get lucky or not. I was in the same boat a few months back and had Dave Barnsdale make up a set of 55 lb. limbs and they're great and were substantially cheaper than factory limbs unless you can get a good discount.

If you have a press it's a very simple swap. The Switchback limbs are made left handed or right handed due to where the limb stop brackets mount. IF you come across the wrong dexterity limbs, if you have just a little bit of experience working with tools, with a 5/64" drill, you can put in two holes in the opposite side of the limb to accept the bracket. Then to be on the safe side, you'll want to get two sets of the hardware from a Mathews dealer to go through the limbs where the axles are inserted into the limbs for support. If you have 70 lb. limbs, you may have the hardware right on them. Mine did.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hard to find? Yes. Timing is everything and you might get lucky or not. I was in the same boat a few months back and had Dave Barnsdale make up a set of 55 lb. limbs and they're great and were substantially cheaper than factory limbs unless you can get a good discount.

If you have a press it's a very simple swap. The Switchback limbs are made left handed or right handed due to where the limb stop brackets mount. IF you come across the wrong dexterity limbs, if you have just a little bit of experience working with tools, with a 5/64" drill, you can put in two holes in the opposite side of the limb to accept the bracket. Then to be on the safe side, you'll want to get two sets of the hardware from a Mathews dealer to go through the limbs where the axles are inserted into the limbs for support. If you have 70 lb. limbs, you may have the hardware right on them. Mine did.
Thanks for the excellent advice
Can you tell me how to contact this gentleman?

·
The Impartial Archer
23,684 Posts
Those bows had DL specific cams as well. So you would have to find a 50 or 60 pound used bow AND in your DL as well....or you could use your cams but I'd probably go the Barnsdale route OP.

They make great limbs and they aren't going to match either way.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just an update, took the SB to my local Mathews dealer and they took the draw weight down to 52 lbs and said this is the absolute minimum safe DW for 60-70 lb limbs
I’m still in the market for and WTB 50-60lb limbs if anyone sees some
I’ll also give Mr Barnsdale a call

1 - 20 of 42 Posts