Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
The local Bowtech dealer showed me something on my new Ultra2. On the cam, right side, the cable closest to the crotch of the limb is slapping against the limb. He said that it will eventually eat the cable and it will blow up in my face. He also said that it was a design flaw of Mathews. Anyone heard of this or experienced it? What will Mathews do to remedy it? He advised me to "baby" it through season and then sell it and get a Bowtech...any opinions?

·
archery nut
5,849 Posts
funny how a bowtech dealer is telling you to buy HIS bows. if it is a problem, mathews will fix it for you

·
Registered
212 Posts
I was at a Mathews shop and one had that same issue, what they did was get the bow back to spec ( axle to axle and brace and cam inot rotation) and it pulled the cable away from the limb fork. Give it a try, you never know :)

·
Registered
7,301 Posts
Wrong!

Dude, don't baby that thing. Shoot the heck out of it. Look at the cable every 25 shots or so and see if there is any wear on it. Look at the area he says it is going to contact and see if there is any paint wear. How well do you trust this dealer? He may be full of it. On the other hand myself and numerous others have had problems with Mathews bows. Just keep a close eye on it yourself. If indeed there is a design flaw, expect nothing from Mathews. They will blame the problem on something you have done or some part of your equipment. If it is a design flaw there is no way they are going to recall all those bows and either fix em or replace em.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Unfortunately, Q2 is right on about what Mathews will do to fix it. Their attitude is not to fix but to sell. I'm a Mathews fan but reality is sometimes cruel. Don't run to bowtech to fix it though, bowtech'ers like Mathews wants to sell, sell, sell. If want you say is happening is indeed happening, take it to your Mathews dealer and have him send it back, and keep sending it back until they make it right. :cool:

·
Registered
11,769 Posts
sell it and buy a bowtech!!

lolololololololololololololololoolol!!!!!!!!!!! man, no beating around the bush or anything. easton94

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Me 2

I had the exact same problem on my SQ2 and it is common place on a lot of other Mathews bows. Every 500 shots or so the serving on the cable by the cam would start to wear. The first few times I jsut had the shop reserve it. After theat I got kind of sick of it so I had a guy make me a custom cable ($30) and I now have over 2000 shots on that cable and absolutley NO WEAR. I am not sure what he used but the serving is THIN and hasn't seperated yet. He said he knew exactly what to do because it was a common complaint about Mathews bows....

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks alot guys, I guess I'll keep it and shoot the heck out of it till the thing blows up, and then I guess I'll go back to PSE.

·
Registered
11,769 Posts
you mean Pieces Scattered Everywhere!! just kiddin couldnt resist, good luck to ya!!:D easton94

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
This problem is prevalant among many single cam bows by almost every manufacturer that offers a single cam. Before you lose confidence in your setup, try getting to the root of the problem. Power cable wear is determined largely on how the cable guard offset affects the cable tracking. Adjustable cable guards allow for sufficient fletching clearance while at the same time, minimizing cable guard associated torque. If memory serves me correctly, your cable guard is not adjustable.Contact a custom string maker(there are several excellent strings available from AT members) order a string and cable set in Ultracam by Brownell and forget about it. Wax them periodically for best performance. New strings and cables, grease the axles check the bearings and your good for another 10,000 shots. Or you could just shoot a Martin.:)

·
Registered
11,769 Posts
i would stick it out with the bow you have, there are fixes for most problems out there...buying a martin, or any other will not fix your problem. alot of new bows have quirks to work out and i recognize that as a shooter. if there was a perfect bow out there with no problems there would only be one company making bows. watching the wear on cables and strings is common sense in archery, if it becomes a problem work with mathews and i am confident they will work with you to resolve it. easton94

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have a jagmag that does exactly the same thing... so buying a Martin isnt a fix all, and I've owned about every Martin bow since My ocelot 26 years ago. I'm sure Jimmy was kidding when he suggested that.

·
Registered
11,769 Posts
cool buckchaser, i just wanted to point out that there are quirks with almost anything you buy!! all in good fun!!;) easton94

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Just fooling around... like I said, get a new string and cable custom made and keep it waxed. :)

·
Registered
211 Posts
ultra 2

shawn,had same problem with my u2 while changing strings i noticed a tiny burr on cam right below peak in bottom of cable track emory cloth it out alls been fine so far. I have no idea how it got there. just another thought

·
Registered
9,860 Posts
Boy, I just can't resist:D Sooner or later, you'll realize your BowTech dealer was right :cool:

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Problem

Shawn , 1st of all go to a Mathews Dealer and let the bow tech check it out . Get the Idler Wheel square and you cam squared right . Make sure your string and cable are not crossed . Also make sure your slide is turned the right derection . If It's turned wrong it could cause this problem . Any way all this stuff put togather will cause the problem . Also check and se if you got the right cam . Your cam should have Z2 on it . I own several Ultra 2's and don't have a problem on any of them . You,ve just got a problem that a good bow tech could fix . Hope this helps David . O ya are you shootind a 60 o/o or 80 o/o . The 60 o/o cam is a quarter inch shorter . The 60 o/o is 38 5/8 and the 80 o/o is 38 7/8 .

1 - 18 of 18 Posts