Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello AT Community,

I have a quick and hopefully easily answered question/problem. I bought a used Chill about a week ago, I got a phenomenal deal and couldn't pass it up. I ordered everything I wanted on it and took it and had it setup. The guy that did it isn't a Mathews dealer, but he noticed an issue with the arrow fletching not clearing the strings (see attached pictures). He didn't know how to fix it or why it was like that, not being a Mathews person, maybe just my fletching or something similar? The fix I found was to take and turn the shaft just a little to where the fletching clears, but I'm sure there is a much better solution. Is the bow designed like this or do I have one that has a problem? What would be the fix/solution? Please don't start bashing/hating, etc...If you don't have constructive comments, I don't want to hear it. Thanks.

Aric

IMG_0657.jpg

·
Registered
17,347 Posts
you basically fixed it. common with blazers. using a lower profile vane like a three inch fusion will give you more clearance.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Yea my Blazers barely clear the string on my Chill....like you i just turned the nock ever so slightly....figure it wont hurt shooting a drop away rest....

·
Registered
17,347 Posts
also what is your center shot set at? Mathews suggests 13/16ths i usually wind up around 11/16ths with a drop away, measure from the sight window to the center of the shaft.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys...I had a Bear before this and never had this problem...kinda scared when you drop a bunch of money into a setup and think it might be messed up...

·
Registered
49,459 Posts
It actually isn't all that unusual to have to tweak the nocks some on many bows to get proper clearance.
You did it correctly.

·
Anti Fanboy
41,835 Posts
Hello AT Community,

I have a quick and hopefully easily answered question/problem. I bought a used Chill about a week ago, I got a phenomenal deal and couldn't pass it up. I ordered everything I wanted on it and took it and had it setup. The guy that did it isn't a Mathews dealer, but he noticed an issue with the arrow fletching not clearing the strings (see attached pictures). He didn't know how to fix it or why it was like that, not being a Mathews person, maybe just my fletching or something similar? The fix I found was to take and turn the shaft just a little to where the fletching clears, but I'm sure there is a much better solution. Is the bow designed like this or do I have one that has a problem? What would be the fix/solution? Please don't start bashing/hating, etc...If you don't have constructive comments, I don't want to hear it. Thanks.

Aric

View attachment 1616200

Aric, yes the bow is designed like that. Just another joy of stationary roller guards. Far from the best system out now days. This is why more and more bow companies are going to some kind of flex guard system or an offset cable rod. They give you more clearance and in the case of an offset cable rod, they are adjustable for fletching clearance.

However, you rectified the issue so your good to go.

I too use Blazers and my choice is Helical Blazers that I fletch up on my AZ mini Jig. They provide as good of accuracy as I get with 4" helical feathers.

Skeet.

·
Registered
8,592 Posts
can someone post pics of their set up with a drop away and how they have their fletchings turned? i put lipstick on the edges of my blazers and I'm either getting contact with the rest or the cables when shooting. I am shooting maxima 350s on a 70/30 chill. I can't seem to turn it anyway without contact. :\

·
Registered
95 Posts
Is your contact issue caused by the rest or cables? What vane is getting the contact marks and which side of that vane? I shoot a 70 lb 29" Chill using Maxima 350s with Blazers and had the same issue until I brought it to a really good tech who retuned the bow and the contact issue was gone. It ended up my contact was with the drop away rest not the cable. Verify where your contact is coming from then people will be able to assist a little better? By the way I shoot cock vane straight up and use a QAD HDX

·
Registered
8,592 Posts
Is your contact issue caused by the rest or cables? What vane is getting the contact marks and which side of that vane? I shoot a 70 lb 29" Chill using Maxima 350s with Blazers and had the same issue until I brought it to a really good tech who retuned the bow and the contact issue was gone. It ended up my contact was with the drop away rest not the cable. Verify where your contact is coming from then people will be able to assist a little better? By the way I shoot cock vane straight up and use a QAD HDX
if the cock vane is straight up, the right vane hits the cable, i could see lipstick marks. rotate the vane to 1 o clock, still hits it. straight down, hits the middle of the rest. this is on a mpsi bushmaster rest

·
Registered
969 Posts
I've got two (of five) bows where the static view from the rear makes it look like the fletching will lightly hit a cable when shot. In both cases, the dynamics of the shot, and flex of the arrow, allow the fletching to clear, with no contact. I've tested for contact, as well as monitored the inside fletchings for any sign of wear or contact, and there is none. I'm sure it depends on a variety of items, including the arrow, draw length, bow design, poundage, FOC, spine, etc., but it's not always the case that if fletching contact appears certain from a static look, that it will actually contact during the shot. That being said, if your nocks tend to rotate now and then, and the inside fletch may end up horizontal (most likely to hit a cable) it might also be wise to check for clearance in that configuration too - just in case. Good luck!

·
Registered
8,592 Posts
well I was told to not use lipstick because it can fly off or splatter, so I'll use foot spray tonight and report the findings, thanks everyone.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts