Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I went into the shop today and looked at both Hoyt and Mathews. The sales guy had said that mathews have had a big thing with the limbs cracking and splitting, I mean these are new bows, anyone tell me what is up with this??

·
Oblivious to the Shills
2,498 Posts
Don't be concerned. Every compay has limbs that split from time to time, due to bad batches from vendors. These are usually very isolated incedences. Mathews has a good track record with good customer service, but.......................if you do decide to try another bow....might I suggest a Bowtech.:D

·
Registered
292 Posts
Like 500 said.....don't be too concerned.

IMO if Mathews was having that many problems with limbs cracking and splitting....why is that shop still selling them?

·
Registered
10,363 Posts
probably a sales pitch to sway you.
some shops are bad about that. also they could be messing the bow up by the way they press it. that has benn hashed on here several times.
i have had several mathews bows and NEVER had a problem with the limbs or anything else.
if you like one get one they are good bows.
good luck

·
Registered
8,359 Posts
Like everyone else said...don't let it concern you. With manufacturing processes and methods today there's no such thing in my opinion of: "companies having big problems with limbs cracking." Any company...however as with all mechanical devices, they sometimes fail. These failures are very isolated and shouldn't sway you from one bow or another. Neither should advertising for that matter;). Like it or not, a very small percentage of every bow will fail. All it takes is one for someone to think everybow put out by the manufacturer is the same.

·
Registered
982 Posts
We have had our fair share of limb failures this year, and not just on one Mathews model in particular. We have had a number of their models come in with delamination problems. Wonder if this is why their warranty has been changed?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mathews Bow

Shot a mathews today and I dont think it would stop me from buying one, like they say any bow can do that. Just seemed odd but I guess not. Thanks to all that replied.

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
you never hear the good things about a bow , only bad

wiseman says," It only takes one OH CRAP to ruin 20 ATTABOYS"...

i have only shot one single limbed bow in my time and i guess for me that is why i stick with split limbs. my personal thing and not to influence anyone. i will admit that i shot a matthews outback about a month ago and it impressed the hell out me.

most companies stand by what they make. hell i know a guy that left his bow on top of his pickup, it was a lx. he goes driving off and when he got up to around 40 the bow slid off and bounced off the side of a bridge. chipped the hell out of the bottom limb but matthews replaced it with a full set.

·
Registered
65 Posts
i have owned 4 differnt Mathews since about '99 and have never had any quality issues with any of them!!! not that it doesn't happen just not very often.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Cracked Limbs

I have a shop and have had 7 mathews bows come in with cracked limbs. It is about time for that company to make their own limbs like Hoyt, PSE, Jennings, Martin. The worse thing was when Mathews sent the customer just one limb to replace the one that was broken. You can't match one limb to an existing pair. It take a pair of limbs to make the bow right. Great Bows but bad warranty service.

·
Banned
11,666 Posts
Don't give it a second thought....... Say if your top limb on your new Mathew$ bow cracks they'll send you a new top limb. That's right only 1 replacement limb at a time. That way if your bottom one cracks you can repeat the experience. That way you can learn all about customer no-service.
"Catch us if you can" must mean their warranty department ! LOL
:D

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
observation

A friend asked me to look at his Mathews, and having only an older bow myself, was happy to do so after hearing the ads and so many guys raving about their Mathews bows. I drew it back and heard a "ticking" sound. He said, "it does that alot, that's why I wanted you to llok at it." After checking the limbs I found they had used some kind of PLASTIC washer to hang the yoke cables, and it was amking noise something fierce! I had a coupla old metal ones from a cheap bow, stuck 'em on, and voila! No mo noise. If they keep adding plastic stuff, pretty soon you'll be able to get 'em at Toys R Us....ooops, they're outta business, aren't they?

·
Registered
10,363 Posts
Re: observation

Tautog Rich said:
A friend asked me to look at his Mathews, and having only an older bow myself, was happy to do so after hearing the ads and so many guys raving about their Mathews bows. I drew it back and heard a "ticking" sound. He said, "it does that alot, that's why I wanted you to llok at it." After checking the limbs I found they had used some kind of PLASTIC washer to hang the yoke cables, and it was amking noise something fierce! I had a coupla old metal ones from a cheap bow, stuck 'em on, and voila! No mo noise. If they keep adding plastic stuff, pretty soon you'll be able to get 'em at Toys R Us....ooops, they're outta business, aren't they?
so was that a cheap shot or are you trying to be helpful?

every bow company has problems wirh somethin on the bowat one time or another.
hoyt limbs blow mathews pse.
i have heard of risers cracking from almost every manufacturer also. bad cams, cable guards breaking
pse does not lube the axles why? mathews didn't lube that area.
lots of things a bow company could to here and there.
truth is i think they are depending on the pro shop shop to do some of the service in those areas.
a little string wax behind the thimble would have fixed that in a
second. secondly did his axles have the ability to have an eclip to hold on those old metal ones or did you not take care of that?
the axles on mathews bows are made for those "plastic" ones

please guys be careful what you say and how you say it.
just a lot of infighting over the silliest things.

:(

·
Registered
627 Posts
In response to the statement below; most recent bows made by Mathews require the limbs to be backed out 7 turns before being pressed. If not, you can break the limbs. Also, Mathews has always replaced both limbs at the archery shops I've worked at for the past 8 years. I've had Hoyt bows before and their limbs split. I wasn't shooting light arrows and it wasn't dry fired. I've seen cracked/broken limbs on almost all bows from the major manufactures. Most of the time it was because the person dry fired, was shooting too light arrows, or left it in their attic until hunting season. Yes, some times the limbs break for no reason, that's what the warrantee is for. If you have any questions, go to
http://www.mathewsinc.com/v2/home/w...ubmit=&cboNewsCategoryID=&cboNewsID=&btnMenu=
click on forum, then click on Archery Tech Forum. Ask the professionals.

I have a shop and have had 7 mathews bows come in with cracked limbs. It is about time for that company to make their own limbs like Hoyt, PSE, Jennings, Martin. The worse thing was when Mathews sent the customer just one limb to replace the one that was broken. You can't match one limb to an existing pair. It take a pair of limbs to make the bow right. Great Bows but bad warranty service.

·
Banned
11,666 Posts
Williamtell said:
Also, Mathews has always replaced both limbs at the archery shops I've worked at for the past 8 years.

I was at our local bow shop just a few weeks ago and watched UPS deliver a box from Mathew$. And then watched them open it and there was only 1 - that's ONE limb in it. I don't know where you work but I asked and they said that was the norm for Mathew$. Unless they changed their practice in the last 30 days some places are getting just 1 limb at a time on warranty replacement.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Mathews use to replace both limbs, they have recently stopped that within the last couple of years, partly because they have specs as to where the limbs need to flex in order to fit a 70lb bow or a 60lb bow. So in theory they should be able to get a limb flex to match pretty closely to match the other limb. At least when you talk to a Mathews tech they don't tell you to just eyeball it like I have heard other Bow company techs suggest(Yes I was present when the dealer was talking to the company Tech). I am sure if the dealer request both limbs to be replaced that Mathews would be meet their request. Mathews has always honored any warranty work that I have had done, and no I haven't had that much work done either. Not sure why everyone says that Mathews customer service is horrible, is it just because they require you to go through a dealer? Where as other bow companies will talk to the consumer directly. You will not be disappointed with a Mathews, they are top notch bows and customer service!

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
okay!!!!!

alright, it WAS a LITTLE cheap, but hey---PLASTIC hangers for yoke cables? I think aside from that the bows I have seen from Mathews are VERY well made.

·
Registered
10,363 Posts
Re: okay!!!!!

Tautog Rich said:
alright, it WAS a LITTLE cheap, but hey---PLASTIC hangers for yoke cables? I think aside from that the bows I have seen from Mathews are VERY well made.
i agree, why stop the quality there...:confused:

·
Registered
8 Posts
lies Will Catch Up With You

:( #1 Mathews has big adds that say they have won all these tournaments. Well They Have. BUT! They were the only company other than Hoyt that had PAID PRO SHOOTERS. Up until this year PSE, Martin, Jennings, CSI, High Country, Well you get it all the other companies stoped having pro shooters. When they stopped having pro shooters Mathews bought all the top shooters in the country. Do you really think that Mathews has the best bows and the pros are flocking to them to shoot. I don't think so, In fact I know so. I know many of the pros and was one myself. A pro will go to the company that pays the most, not because they have the best bows.
#2. Why should a pro shop have to ask for two limbs when a bow has a limb failure. Mathews should automaticly send a pair of limbs to make the bow new again.
#3. What other bow company tell you to take 5 or 6 turns off your limbs before you put them on a bow press. NONE It isn't because you might break the limbs, it is bacause you will bend the very bendable riser.
Mathews makes a good bow but the attitude that some and I say some of the mathews owners have is dumb. Saying that if you don't shoot a mathews you just won't be the best. Or making fun of a shooter because they didn't want to spent $700.00 on a Mathews bow. The Bow does not make the archer the archer makes the bow.
The Top shooters in the nation could win with any bow, if you don't believe that you are not thinking straight. God Bless Archery.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts