Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any pros and cons to these two?? I just shot a bunch of new bows today not even thinking of switching to a new one but it's looking like that's going to be the case. I liked thes two bows the best. The DXT was nice too but I liked the Dren a bit more. The Katera is sweet too but the brace height scares me a bit in shooting form. I have good form but I don't want to make the mistake in the field if I don't have to. I know that's a lame excuse so that's why I wanted to see what you all to say. Lets hear it.

Scott

·
Registered
5,552 Posts
Pros love both of them.

Both will get you conned out of around $800!!

:darkbeer:

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The pro shop by my house has the Katera for $689 and the Drenalin for $645. Those good prices for those bows??

Scott

·
Registered
380 Posts
those are great prices for both of them....I would maybe have to get a pair:darkbeer:

·
Registered
441 Posts
The pro shop by my house has the Katera for $689 and the Drenalin for $645. Those good prices for those bows??

Scott

$645 is what I paid for my Dren. I thought it was a good price. Not a steal, but a good price. For what it's worth, I love the Drenalin and traded in a Hoyt to get it. The Hoyt I owned was a great bow, but not in the same class as the Drenalin. Go shoot them both again, but it sounds like you have made your choice. Good luck!

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
katera

I shoot the Katera and just can't tell I'm shooting a 6" brace height bow. I think a lot of that has to do with the stealth shock (sts). If you are shooting a Drenalin at 70#s you could drop the Katera down to about 64 or 65 pounds and still get the same speeds. It is heavier and I think that makes for a more stable bow.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I like the way the Katera felt but the smoothness and weight of the Dren was real nice. Only thing I didn't care for on any Mathews was the grip. There were some custom grips at the shop made for them so we'll see. I think I shot them for three hours today and it all felt good for the most part.

Scott

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Hoyt Grips

IMO Hoyt has the best non-side plate grip.....hands down!

·
Registered
6,482 Posts
Actually the weight differance is only about 1/2 a pound, in the grand scheme of things not enough to be concerned about. Both are really nice bows. I'm a big Hoyt fan but I give credit where credit is due and the Dren is a very nice bow. Some things to consider. If you were to send the same arrow downrange the same speed out of both bows what you will end up with is an easier draw on the Katera simply because it is faster then the Dren and like Beaver said you have the ability to shoot a lighter draw weight. Personally I don't think the draw cylce is that much different between the two bows when the weight is equal. The Katera is averaging 8-10 fps faster then advertised IBO the Dren is either right on or slightly lower then advertised IBO so we are talking somwhere between 15-20fps differance in the two bows. That translates to having the ability to shoot the Katera almost 10 pounds lighter draw weight and get the same speed out of your arrow that you do with the Dren. As far as accuracy with the shorter BH there are alot of factors that contribute to forgivness BH being only one of those. I am just an average joe and I can shoot the Katera as accurate out to 60 yards as I can any other bow so I really don't think the shorter BH is a factor. Like I said both bows are really nice and in the end you will have a 33" hunting bow plain and simple.

·
Registered
429 Posts
i shot both of them too...and i was going to buy a new bow this year but man it is just too hard to decide....both shot really well, and i love both...only if i could afford both of them...Paul

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I hear you on that Paul.* Well, I'll tell you my specs and maybe you all can give me some more feedback.* I am shooting a Bowtech Equalizer at 26.5" set at 57lbs.* Both of these bows were drawing a hell of a lot smoother than the equalizer does.* I am not a speed freak at all.* I look for the all around shootabillity instead.* If the bow I get smokes great but it needs to feel good all the way around.* The Katera felt better to me but the Mathews did as well but the grip was a bit hard to get used to.* I know you can get an aftermarket grip for them so if I go with the Drenalin i would most deffinately go with a slim grip.* Any thoughts??Scott

·
Registered
236 Posts
katera

At your draw length I would go with the katera,the hybrids seem to hold thier speed at lower draw lengths better than the single cams.just my opinion if you choose the drenalin you will still have made a good choice I just think the katera is a better choice.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
i dont have any great wisdom but i can tell you that i love my katera!

·
Registered
393 Posts
Actually the weight differance is only about 1/2 a pound, in the grand scheme of things not enough to be concerned about.

If your a tree stand hunter then a 1/2 # is no big deal. If you do alot of spot and stalk. That 1/2 # gets real heavy by the end of the day. I traded my switchback for my dreny just because of the 1/2 #. That said the katera is a sweet bow as is the dreny. Either would be a great choice.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
i drew back a katera yesterday at 60lbs and i felt like 70 i am sure it shoots great the the draw cycle is a draw back for me...with the drenaline i dont like the light weight of it nor the thin limb system

·
Registered
6,482 Posts
Actually the weight differance is only about 1/2 a pound, in the grand scheme of things not enough to be concerned about.

If your a tree stand hunter then a 1/2 # is no big deal. If you do alot of spot and stalk. That 1/2 # gets real heavy by the end of the day. I traded my switchback for my dreny just because of the 1/2 #. That said the katera is a sweet bow as is the dreny. Either would be a great choice.
I do a lot of stalking as well as Elk hunting in the mountains of Colorado the weight differance is not an issue as far as I'm concerned after all we are talking about ounces not pounds. Look at Cameron Hanes who does a lot of back pack hunts in the high country and is always concerned about weight but yet he is using a Katera XL.

·
Registered
908 Posts
It is a tough decision. I have three Mathew’s bows and love all of them. I have shot arrows through the DXT, Dren, Katera and Bowtech’s Guardian and I feel that you can’t go wrong with any of them quality wise. I hunt from a wheelchair and weight is not as much an issue for me as it may be for other archers that spend time spotting and stalking. I like the slim limbs and the weight of the new Mathew bows because by the time I add the "extras", I don't have to worry about how much my sights, rest...etc will add to the total weight of the bow. I do like the DXT since it is less than 30", but I have no problems with bows that are 33".
I like to go to a proshop that does not make me feel rushed and allows me to put enough arrows through each bow until I feel comfortable with my decision. Good luck and let us know what bow you ended up purchasing.

·
Registered
908 Posts

Scott
Wow...at my proshops, they are asking $745.00 for the Katera and $795.00 for the Dren...probably because we are in California:mad:! Do you know if your shop will sell by mail? Im interested in a DXT...Thanks

1 - 20 of 37 Posts