Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone shoot either of these bows?

My friend is looking at both of these Mathews bows and he has a question regarding the dampeners. The FX is a more forgiving bow (longer brace height) but doesn't have the dampeners w/ it. The Ultra2 has the dampers but a shorter brace height.

Any thoughts? Recommendations?

·
Registered
9,209 Posts
The FX is an entry level Mathews. They build it for the person who did not want to spend a lot of money and still have a Mathews. That is why no dampeners. It is a nice shooting bow by the way.

The Ultra2 had a jump to it. It is quick, but I just do not like a bow to jump that much. Still will shoot very nice.

If you are a diehard Mathews fan, shoot them both and pick for yourself. If it was me, I would choose a different Mathews bow like the LX or Legacy.

LeEarl

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Budgets suck!

Well, my pal is on a budget like me (I went w/ the Hoyt MT Sport), so the higher price Mathews bows aren't doable at this time.

We both want a reliable bow that will kill deer and perform at the 3D shots. That's why he is looking at the Ultra2 and the FX.

·
Registered
9,209 Posts
If you want a great bow for killing deer, try the CougerIII SE or Magnum. This is a great shooting bow for hunting and 3D. Smooth and quiet and all for under $500. Also, the PSE Thunderbolt LC is a good bow for the price, around $350. Check them out.

LeEarl

·
Registered
326 Posts
I just got a Mathews FX about 3 weeks ago. I tried out as many left handed bows as I could get my hands on before making my decision. Including ultra 2, legacy, hoyt, extreme VFT, mighty mite, blackhawk. Let me say that the latest bows on the market today are awesome and I really don't think there is a bad choice. I got the FX simply because it was the best shooting bow I shot. I really liked the Mathews quality and I couldn't justify spending the extra on anything more expensive in the Mathews line up. To me, there just wasn't that much difference in feel, quietness and shock. I ended up taking the extra money I saved by going with the FX and put it into my accesories (Muzzy ZE rest, sims modular stab., Impact trio sight). I am totally in love with this setup. I can't imagine a quieter,better shooting, light weight hunting bow. I think the ultra 2 is a great bow but in my opinion its not worth the extra money ($160 around here). You won't be disappointed with the FX, but shoot em both and YOU decide.

Jeremy

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
The FX is a good solid hunting bow. Nothing wrong with this model at all. Good luck with it & enjoy it!

·
Lefty Senior Member
2,815 Posts
Personally I would go with the Ultratec, better Bh, ATA, and speed thatn the FX. The Ultra2 is a nice bow if you are into pure speed, the bow needs the dampners. Ittends to have an excess amount of vibration to it. watch out on the FX the cutout on the riser sight window is much shorter than normal on this bow. but in the end shoot them all and decide from there. Personal feel is the only deciding factor that matters. Eveyones opinion is helpful but they are not shooting the bow. Good Luck.

·
Registered
800 Posts
hoytshooter69 said:
...watch out on the FX the cutout on the riser sight window is much shorter than normal on this bow....
Excellent point, you beat me to it. :) A fellow I shoot with owned an FX for about a week. He was not aware that the cutout was so much shorter...he found out the hard way!

·
Registered
309 Posts
The site window is small on the FX, my 20 is almost right up against the riser. The FX is a bare bones bow, but it is a fast, light, great tree stand bow, and the deer simply don't like it.:D I'd love an ultra2 but if you want to hunt and shoot 3D the FX will do just fine.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I've had both bows.......

.......and I actually wish I could afford to have both back !!

The FX was super smooth, quick and forgiving, short and light-weight.....a bowhunters dream. The pins did get a little crowded to the riser, but you could still see them easy enough. Any Limbsaver accessories quickly made up for the lack of dampeners.

The Ultra2 was more forgiving than the short brace heigth would indicate.........for a "speed bow", it was a joy to shoot....a great 3D bow or hunting bow...........................................both bows dropped their equal share of game.

I currently shoot an Icon...tried the Legacy and didn't like it.................but like the others have mentioned, you gotta find what fits you, and to do that you're just gonna have to shoot them...;)

PS. I saw the other day, our pro-shop had U2's priced at $449.00.......that's a heck of a buy !!:eek:

·
Lefty Senior Member
2,815 Posts
Another bow to look at if you can find one would be a feathermax. Probably Mathews best built hunting bow next to the MQ1. It will be atouhg find but there have been a few on e-bay lately. Has the neutral riser like the FX but a full size sight window and decent speed.

·
Registered
880 Posts
I personally think you should look at a MQ1 if you're on a budget, they are readily availiable, pretty darn cheap on e-bay and are one heck of a bow, more forgiving than the Ultra 2 or the FX. I think you would be happier with a MQ1 than the FX or Ultra 2 for an all around bow, I have owned and shot all three, and they're all great bows for certain applications, although I don't think anyone won a major 3-D shoot last year shooting any of the 3. It depends on what you are going to do with the bow and other factors such as your draw length, draw weight, etc. I think you should consider buying a used bow on e-bay, I have bought and sold a bunch of bows on e-bay and have been extremely happy with the outcome. hope this helps

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Ultra2

I have tried both bows at my local archery shop and like them both. I just could not afford a new one. I picked up a 5 month old one right here on AT at half the price. The Ultra2 shots fantastic. But like everyone else has said try them both a pick one, you can always find one used on AT. Good luck...Tim

·
Registered
852 Posts
"Another bow to look at if you can find one would be a feathermax. Probably Mathews best built hunting bow next to the MQ1"

IMO, the FeatherMax is probably the best pure hunting bow evr made - I was disapointed when Mathews discontinued it... 36" a to A, 7" brace height, and weighed in at 3 and 1/4lbs bare - IBO rated at 315 - how could you not love it for hunting???? The MQ1 is pretty good, too...

Even though I'm a HUGE Mathews fan, the UltraTec by Hoyt is the best all around bow on the market today, IMO...

- georgestrings

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Mathews Feathermax

Dang, the Feathermax sounds awesome. Why was it discontinuted??

This may sound dumb, but where would you guys put the Hoyt MT Sport when compared to the FX and Ultra2? The reason I started this thread was for a buddy that is getting into archery. We are both buying the bows at the same time (my MT Sport is now on lay-away). He has a little more in the budget than I do, therefore he is going w/ a Mathews.

Does the MT Sport even hang in there w/ the FX and Ultra2?

·
Lefty Senior Member
2,815 Posts
If you could get a magnatech you would be in the ballpark. The differences between the MT, Magna, and the rest of the Tec line is the riser and limbs. The MT and Magna have a magnesium riser and ZR200 limbs the rest of teh lineup is machined aliminum and XT2000 limbs. IF you can get into a Magnatec with XT2000 limbs that would be your best bet on a budget.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
hoytshooter69 said:
If you could get a magnatech you would be in the ballpark. The differences between the MT, Magna, and the rest of the Tec line is the riser and limbs. The MT and Magna have a magnesium riser and ZR200 limbs the rest of teh lineup is machined aliminum and XT2000 limbs. IF you can get into a Magnatec with XT2000 limbs that would be your best bet on a budget.
Does the magnesium vs machined aluminum riser make that much difference?

The reason I went w/ the MT Sport is b/c it's a bit more forgiving (see huntersfriend.com for more on that forgiveness equation). The brace height is a bit longer on the MT Sport, plus it's only $290.00 for the bare bow.

I will agree about the limbs. If I have enough saved up I wanna go w/ the XT2000 limbs. I do have the MT Sport on lay-away, but I'm sure the shop wouldn't mind if I went w/ something else there.

We'll just have to see.

·
Lefty Senior Member
2,815 Posts
I know about the specs for the MT and the forgiveness. But look at the Magnatec specs you gae a longer ATA bow with only minimal loss of BH, and better speed. I personally have 2 cybers, 2 Ultras, and 2 Protecs. If it were me I would get the Magantec. But shoo them and see for yourself. Good luck.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts