Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at picking up a Mathews Halon 32. I'm just trying to figure out if there is any substantial difference in forgiveness and speed between the 6" and 7" brace height. Can anyone share some real world experience between the two. I would rather have a little more forgiveness in longer shots over a little more speed.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

·
Mark
5,699 Posts
In general the longer BH the less chance string hitting jacket when hunting, shorter BH keeps arrow on string longer so more energy in the arrow which is slightly faster. I’ve owned bows with 6” but last bow I only considered 7” or longer. Personal preference as no difference in accuracy for most archers.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
I had both and for ME the 7" is the better option and is what I currently own. I saw better accuracy at longer distances and although I never put an arrow through the chronograph I have read where there is only a few fps loss on the 7" vs the 6" and for that I would take the accuracy all day long. I personally am not an expert archer and maybe if your form is better the 6" would be fine but I could definitely see an accuracy difference between the two at 40+ yards.

·
Former Wyoming Boy
8,664 Posts
There's really no way around it... the 7" will be more forgiving. Some archers can handle a 6" and some can't, but even if they shoot a 6" well... the 7" will still be more forgiving.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I have a five. Feel like I’m forever resisting. Not forgiving at all. Any little form flaws get magnified. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
712 Posts
I love the 32-7, it seems like the perfect treestand bow, but then I never tried the 6. The 7 just has such good balance - effortless shooting.

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
I can't speak on the Halon 32 but I like the looks of the specs. I myself have a rule of never under 7.

·
Registered
8,409 Posts
I don’t think the 6” brace is something to fear anymore. In days past to get a shorter brace the riser was reflexed and made the bow very susceptible to hand torque. With modern longer risers and shorter limbs this just isn’t the case anymore. Typically one inch of brace equates to 10 fps, so it’s up to you whether it’s worth it. I will also throw in that the Halon series has larger than normal cams, my Halon 6 (30” ata) is only 3/4” shorter (cam to cam) that my 32” ata PSE.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great feedback everyone, I appreciate the input. I am looking for a Halon 32 with 70lb limbs in a 7" brace height and a 28" draw length. It seams like most available options are the 6" models. The search continues.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
I also liked the 7 more as stated it’ll be a more forgiving bow and I though it also balanced a little better than the 6

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
From my experience, the H32-7 is still easier to shoot; the 32-6 shot cycle seemed harsh to me compared the the 32-7 (and the 32-6 riser still has a more reflexed riser). The 32-7 does sacrifice 8 fps per Mathews spec, though; but it is a small sacrifice for the improved shot feel. I also agree the 32-7 is better balanced, a small 4 oz front stabilizer settles my bow perfectly.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts