Archery Talk Forum banner

Mathews Halon 5 Questions

5455 Views 20 Replies 15 Participants Last post by  BP1992
Hey Y'all,

I was hoping those of you who have the Halon 5 or have atleast put some arrows thru it can answer a few questions.

1) How does the bow feel overall (full draw, after the shot, etc.)?
2) Has the BH caused any issues with accuracy?
3) Maybe post some real numbers of speeds?
4) if you could do it over again, would you order the 5 or 6 (or 7)?

I am pretty sure I will be ordering a 5 tomorrow, I just wanted to see what the general opinion on the bow was...
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
570 Posts
I haven't heard of one person having one yet

· Registered
1,778 Posts
I was at a shop last weekend watched and listened to a guy and the salesman as he tried one out. They were shooting in a lane next to me. The bow was really quiet was one thing I noticed he was saying he liked the draw cycle . 60 pounds 28 inch. 355 gr. Arrow they said it was shooting 303 fps .

· Registered
161 Posts
I just shot a 70 lb halon 5 at Harrisburg. Im not sure of the speed, but it seemed quick. I shot the 6 also and I don't think it felt much different. I really liked the draw cycle it was smooth, it holds at full draw really nice. I called my local shop and ordered a 5. I feel like its going to be a great hunting bow

· Registered
5,758 Posts
My shop has all 3. 5,6,7. I shot the 5 w/ 75% and 85% mods on it. I didn't care for the draw at all. It was stiff. I didn't really like any of the halons but if I had to choose between them I'd take the 6. With that being said the wake with same brace height but having the longer ata was butter. The 5 had slight kick to it but no hand shock and was very quiet. Back wall was solid, not much relaxing with that 5.

· Shootin and Cussin
27,299 Posts
I've shot one and I must say that I was really surprised. I don't even like 6" BH bows but I like the way the 5" shot. Not much hand shock. Some forward jump but not bad. The bow just had a WB on it and had not been tuned.

That said, I will never buy one. I just can't see me hunting with something like that.

· Sultan of Smack
6,654 Posts
I've shot all three Halons. I feel the draw cycle is progressively better as the brace height grows. Not that the 5 is bad, just not as smooth as the 6 or 7. All very similar in noise and vibration. I do prefer the Wake over the 5, but as far as the Halons go, there isn't enough speed difference between the 5 and 6 to go with the 5, IMO.

SCFox

· Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Negative, ordered it on good faith. Only other bow that interested me on the market was a Carbon Defiant Turbo and with the quality issues and delays, it narrowed my options down to the Halon 5 or 6. My local Mathews dealer has been blowing through 6's and 7's. They didn't have any 6's with 70 lb limbs so I just went ahead and ordered based on specs. I am confident in my form to handle the BH and not torque. Only think I am nervous about is getting used to a 30" ata bow again..
Did you get to shoot a 5 before ordering yours?

· Registered
4,321 Posts
Negative, ordered it on good faith. Only other bow that interested me on the market was a Carbon Defiant Turbo and with the quality issues and delays, it narrowed my options down to the Halon 5 or 6. My local Mathews dealer has been blowing through 6's and 7's. They didn't have any 6's with 70 lb limbs so I just went ahead and ordered based on specs. I am confident in my form to handle the BH and not torque. Only think I am nervous about is getting used to a 30" ata bow again..

Congrats on the new bow. Our shop has 6's and 7's flying out the door. Unfortunately, I haven't seen a 5 yet that I could shoot before buying. Actually went in with my mind set on the Defiant, but after shooting the Halon I knew it was the one.

· Registered
2,826 Posts
Shot the 5 at 70# yesterday at Harrisburg. Thought the draw was a bit stiff and had a pretty big dump. The back wall was really solid though and didn't notice much of a vibe at the shot. Held steady. nothing on the bow but dloop and whisker biscuit.

My bow is also 60# though, so I'm sure most at 70 will feel a bit stiff. Which is probably why I liked the 6 at 60# better.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.