Archery Talk Forum banner

Mathews Heli-M Draw Stop - Can you safely remove it?

5784 Views 5 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  Dale_B1
My archery pro shop told me I have a 30" draw. I ordered the Heli-M with a 30" cam. I don't like that the draw stop doesn't provide for a valley at full draw. I do love the bow but, it you relax at all, its like a rat trap. I know that Mathews has made a smaller draw stop that will give you another 1/4" or so but, I took the draw stop off and found my sweet spot. I've been shooting it like this for weeks and really loving it. However, I told my local pro shop this and their jaws about hit the floor and they told me I could ruin my bow like this...Why???

There is a natural wall at full draw, with no "hang ups" etc. It just pulls back and stops...without an issue. The pro shop also said if I shoot like this, it will void the waranty. Any feedback would be appreciated. I'd sure love to keep the draw stop off.

Thank you very much!

Also, I have a Hoyt Carbon Element, 2011 with 60lb limbs, 28.5-30.5 draw, camo for sale: $ 800.00. I am selling it because I like the Heli-M more.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
1,971 Posts
Try it with out any rubber on the stop, maybe a wrap of electrical tape and see what you think. I agree over rotation of the cam becuase of no stop could lead to a fatal failure of the bow but sold mine and can't see what "wall" you are hitting with no stop. I suspect it may be full rotation of the cam and total string wrap. If it jumps over the what I suspect is a very small bump due to total wrap, get ready for a full derail in your hands.

I would also be carerful of letting anyone or anything stand to your left (if right handed) as the arrow could jump rest and semi fire on the derailment.

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
"You can shoot the Helim without the draw stop. The DL will be longer and it will have a wall like the Reezen."

This is what I thought. Bows didn't have draw stops back in the day and they didn't over rotate so why would mine? There is a "wall" in that there is a point that the draw cycle can't progress any further. It doesn't feel as abrubt as with the draw stop, however it kind of feels like a Hoyt Element with the draw stops hitting the string, not the limbs.

· Registered
55,450 Posts
The bow was designed to be properly shot WITH the draw stop. What people do not seem to realize on today's bows YOU NEED to hold ANY of them into the draw stop to PROPERLY shoot them. The other thing and the MAIN reason people are having the same problem you are having is because they do not have the proper draw length set for them-----it is too long. Try a 1/2" shorter it makes a world of difference.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.