Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a HTX last year, really love the bow! It is 29in draw and 70 pounds maxed out. I am shooting an Easton axis which has a finished weight of 420 grains. I have never shot it thru a chrono so I have no idea of speed fine , but I've been tossing around the idea of bumping my arrow weight up to 475-500 but I also don't want to be lobbing arrows. I did my first elk hunt (no kill) last year and plan on making it a yearly trip so I'd like to maintain a lil speed. I guess I'm just asking if anyone has experience with this bow and what speeds and arrow weight they had. I don't have direct access to a chrono and nearest shop with one is 45 minutes away.

·
Registered
12,059 Posts
build some heavier arrows, and don't shoot them through a crono:wink:

·
Registered
904 Posts
I bought a HTX last year, really love the bow! It is 29in draw and 70 pounds maxed out. I am shooting an Easton axis which has a finished weight of 420 grains. I have never shot it thru a chrono so I have no idea of speed fine , but I've been tossing around the idea of bumping my arrow weight up to 475-500 but I also don't want to be lobbing arrows. I did my first elk hunt (no kill) last year and plan on making it a yearly trip so I'd like to maintain a lil speed. I guess I'm just asking if anyone has experience with this bow and what speeds and arrow weight they had. I don't have direct access to a chrono and nearest shop with one is 45 minutes away.
I have been going back and forth with this exact question lately. Shooting a 2018 Hoyt Hyperforce 28' draw and pulling 71lbs. I am going to either shoot an axis at 441 grains, 13% FOC, 281fps, and should be 77.2lbs of KE and .55slugs momentum or an axis at 491 grains, 16% FOC, 266fps, and should be 77.06lbs of KE and .579slugs moemntum.

Common sense tells me it doesn't matter, the difference between these two will be so marginal. Likely only noticed out past 60 yards. But I cannot make up my mind. I like the idea of the speed of the lighter arrow with a slightly smaller margin of error if I mis judge yardage. But I also like the 16% FOC of the heavier arrow and the greater penetration to reduce the margin of error on shoulder or quartering shots.

Let us knwo what you decide.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Like Roosie and USP were getting at, the easiest way to get increase momentum is to increase your arrow mass. I also hate to be THAT guy but, slugs are a mass unit. The English unit for slugs is a “slug foot per second”. Old habits die hard with units!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I ordered some arrows from Jerry at SouthShore. Getting a dozen GT hunter xt's 300 spine with 125 grain head and 50 grain insert. Finished arrow weight should be 475 grains with 13.5% FOC. Can always add weight with GT's FACT system. Once I get them I will be making trip to bowshop to check speed.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Like Roosie and USP were getting at, the easiest way to get increase momentum is to increase your arrow mass. I also hate to be THAT guy but, slugs are a mass unit. The English unit for slugs is a “slug foot per second”. Old habits die hard with units!

EDIT: English unit for momentum is “slug foot per second”

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I settled on shooting my GT hunter xt 300 spine with a hundred grain head, 50 grain insert and a 50 FACT weight added to back of insert. total weight of 515 with just under 15% foc. they are shooting great and very quiet. Went to bow shop today and am getting 252-253 fps. Overall I'm happy with this set up. Mathews HTX 29in draw, maxed out at 71lbs with 85% mods. Also shot my buddies 440 grain arrow at 271 fps. Hey has a pro defiant, 28.5 in draw and 70lbs. He shot his 440 grain arrow at 284 and my 515 grain arrow at 263.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I’m shooting a TAW of 518 grains with about 17%FOC I’m only hunting whitetail but would not hesitate taking these arrows on an elk hunt. I’ve shot them out to 75yds and they fly great, I wouldn’t worry too much about speed. I’m 28.5 DL and 72# slinging these arrows in the high 260’s or low 270’s. Never cared to chrono it. All I know is that you can hear the difference of impact vs my 440 grain arrows with about 11% FOC

1 - 13 of 13 Posts