Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Planning to upgrade from my FX to either an Icon or Q2XL. Since the specs for the two models are virtually identical, any thoughts on how the two compare in terms of performance, noise, or forgiveness.
Thanks for any input!

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
icon or q2xl

depends if you are going to hunt with it or 3d.
for hunting i would go with q2xl, for 3d icon is the best.
but for both worlds i would say q2xl. i have a icon and love it for 3d shooting most forgiveing bow i ever shot. but it is a little slower than q2xl.

just my 2 cents

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
I agree with Pres. B 100%

The ICON is a great shooter. The down side is it slower than the Q2XL. My opinion is too slow. I love my XL for target and would never trade it for a ICON.

·
74,535 Posts
Lets see

I currently shoot my Icon and think its great. Little on slow side for 3d. MQ2XL is better choice for all around bow for hunting and 3d both. Icon is one Im trying this year for indoor.

If speeds no issue the Icon is great bow. Im hunting with mine also.

·
Registered
212 Posts
guys, explain what slow is ??????? I get in the mid 280's out of mine, 70# 29" draw and a 380-385 grain arrow, it's a great 3-D and hunting bow, ;)

·
Registered
897 Posts
I have the Icon and had the Q2XL. The Icon is quieter and a little less vibration. The Q2XL is a little faster, but I do not see the arrow droping a little bit more a factor. What is the difference going to be at 30 yard's? Not much.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
the icon wins! if you can get a speed that you are happy with for 3d the icon, in my experience, is the best choice.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
guys, explain what slow is ??????? I get in the mid 280's out of mine, 70# 29" draw and a 380-385 grain arrow, it's a great 3-D and hunting bow,
What I mean by slow is...What speeds you are getting at 70# on your Icon, I am getting at 60# with my Q2XL at a 28.5" draw.

The most important question you have to ask is...What are you going to shoot it for?

Spots-I would say the Icon is a better choice
Hunting-Either would work great
3D/Field-Q2XL

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the feedback! I should have mentioned that my intent is to use it primarily for hunting.

·
Registered
689 Posts
t

Icons are a little slow, I also get 280s with 57lbs and a CXL 150 IBO legal, at 28in draw with my Q2XL. And there is a big difference at 30 yards when it comes to 3D. If your arrow drops a couple of inches at 30 to 33 yards that can be the difference between 10 and X. Which can also mean win or lose. I have my pins set up at 22,28,34,40,and 45. Works really well with my XL.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
I have both - the Icon for 3-D & Indoor & the Q2XL for hunting. I honestly like the way the Q2XL shoots & feels better. I think it is about as perfect of a bow I have shot. It can do it all in my book. My only beef with the Icon is I think it should have an ATA over 40".

·
Registered
134 Posts
Icon

Steelytim,

I don't know your draw length, but a 440 grain arrow, fired from a 70#, 30" draw, Icon produces just over 73 foot pounds of energy. That's enough energy to kill any deer, and fairly flat trajectory out to 35 yards.

I own an Icon and highly recommend it.

contractpelot :p

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Once again, many thanks for all your information!

As an FYI, my draw length is 27.5", draw weight is 64#, and shoot a 425 gr arrow. I asssume that the Icon would generate sufficient KE for whitetail or turkey.

Not to press my luck, but to add one other variable to the equation, do the string suppressors and the roller guard represent any advantage from a practical standpoint?

·
Registered
897 Posts
There is a only a little difference in the amount the my arrow drop's at 30 yard's while shooting the Icon compared to the Q2XL, maybe 1 inch but the sight is adjusted for that difference.
The roller guard is alway's quiet and smooth, I forget it is there.
The string suppressor's do away with vibration and noise.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts