Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m interested in getting my wife a Mathews Jewel or an Elite Spirit. I’m curious how these two bows stack up against each other having never shot them and not having a way to do so without buying them both. I want something that is comfortable for my wife to shoot, preferably with a longer valley. I’ve always been more partial to Mathews but if Elite is much better as far as the valley goes, I might go that route. Mainly curious about valley and comfort of both bows. Please, any feedback is appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
49,431 Posts
Big mistake picking a bow your not going to use. What does your wife want? Take her to several pro shops then you go find something else to do. If you want her to stay with the sport the choice has nothing to do with you.
Would you like it if someone pick a bow for you and said here live with it and enjoy. Probably not.

·
Registered
846 Posts
If there is any way possible for her to shoot a few bows, even if those two aren’t available, that would be my first suggestion. Give her a chance to learn how one bow is different from another, and what SHE prefers. While a surprise (or not) bow is a nice gesture, how a bow shoots is a personal opinion.

What will she be doing with the bow? Hunting, target, 3D, casual shooting in the backyard? The two bows you mentioned are older models, and while both nice, there are possibly newer, more efficient models out that might meet her needs. Do you know her draw length and weight?

**I’ll add that I’ve shot both bows in the past. There are good points to both, but compared to other bows available now, neither would be my pick if I were looking. They shoot completely different, too, which makes it impossible to know what she would like.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Don’t buy her a bow without her trying something first. Learn from my mistake. I bought my wife a Jewel, and although she shot it well, she disliked the short valley. I took her to shoot as many as possible later on and she fell in love with the Bowtech Eva Shockey on the comfort setting. My wife tried the Spirit too, but liked the Bowtech better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,001 Posts

·
Registered
5,021 Posts
Both are good bows, but I would add a Bowtech Eva Shockey in the mix also. It has a lot more adjustment than the other two, and you have two options on the draw cycle, comfort, for easy drawing, or performance, for a little more speed and a touch more holding weight. Plus it's extremely light, making it easy to add weight where you want. But by all means let her decide, it will bite you if you don't-I know from my own experience.--BB

·
Registered
16,146 Posts
Yeah she needs to try them out, my wife has had elite spirit, answer, bowtech 360, Eva Shockey, d350, and her favorite are the Eva Shockey and elite answer, her least favorite and had only a day was the elite spirit. She liked the 360 besides the bows over all weight. So everyone is going to have their own opinion and we all know women opinions can very alot.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts