Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
our shop has had 5 limbs on v lock bows to crack in the last couple of weeks anyone else experiencing this?

R

·
0 Posts
My uncle's bow had the bottom limb crack (LX) and they only sent him one limb...

Now Listen
it did max at 63lbs,,but with the new limb on, it now maxes out at 56lbs.............

That's messed up! and don't tell me these limbs are the same wt.
I told him to blow the bow up and get two limbs......

The Hood

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
REALLY

thats exactly right, they only send one limb because everything they do is perfect, so they know each limb is exactly the same, the thing that bothers me is if all are the same should we expect all the limbs to crack now that there is a problem?

·
Registered
5,230 Posts
My Dad has a c3 that had a cracked limb and yes they only sent 1 limb.

·
Land of the Giants
161 Posts
Will a cracked lower limb effect arrow flight? I just found out my hunting bow a Z-Max has a cracked lower limb, but just barely....is it anything to worry about or should I get it fixed now?

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
A cracked limb might affect the shape of your face - if it breaks and you get smacked with something.

Scott

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
kenny3d, get it fixed yesterday.. better to have it fixed
while it's cracked than when it blows up in your face.. it's
nothing to fool around with.. and don't shoot it anymore,
send it straight to the mathews dealer for repair...

Over the years I've had several cracked limbs.. some
very noneventful, others very eventful, you just never
know...it's not pretty when a limb decides to let
go and explode on you...

·
Registered
11,651 Posts
British Champion Killed by a breakign bow

A top UK Archer was killed when his new bow broke and was hit inthe head t hat kiled him

Dont shoot or pullthe bow until both limbs are replaces

IMHO

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
our shop has had 5 limbs on v lock bows to crack in the last couple of weeks

What shop is that and where is it located?

·
Land of the Giants
161 Posts
Thanks guys, I'm going as soon as I get done typing this to my dealer and order some more limbs. Thanks alot for the info!!

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
My uncle's bow had the bottom limb crack (LX) and they only sent him one limb...

Now Listen
it did max at 63lbs,,but with the new limb on, it now maxes out at 56lbs.............
Robert,

Do you know if the wrong limb was replaced? Why the reduction in draw weight?

Do you know what the original rated draw weight range was?

Scott

·
Registered
144 Posts
Mathews limbs

My local shop owner who by the way does not sell nor does he like Mathews said Mathews limbs were made by Gordon glass Co.

He also said Gordon glass Co. makes limbs for about 75% of all other mfg's as well including Hoyt.

Sooooo does that mean all Gordon Glasss limbs are junk?
Let me think, My local shop owner sells Martin and Hoyt and yes he has replaced limbs on both companys bows.

I THINK, that maybe broken limbs is something that happens period. TO ALL MFG'S OUT THERE.

BUT, when it happens to Mathews Here comes the linch mob.

MY $.04

Mike

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm seriously trying to find out if there is a rash of problems with the v lock system on the new Mathews bows, because we usually have about as many of brand x limbs crack as we do brand y. It does seem to be more Mathews problems this year than all of the other brands we sell combined. By the way the limbs are made to the manufacturers specifications by The Gordon Company.

·
Registered
33,384 Posts
I am quite certain Mathews has a (recurring)problem with their limbs. I broke three sets of limbs on three different models in three years. After getting only one limb to replace the shattered Conquest limb, I had enough. The bow would not shoot straight with the new limb. We got erratic arrow flight with a horrendous right tear through paper. I BOUGHT A MARTIN COUGAR 3 FURY X and have never shot better in my life. I guess I learned my lesson that Mathews really does have everyone(except me anymore) fooled into believing that they are superior. I will never buy another Mathews as Martin keeps making great bows. My friends have started to make the switch, too and they can't get over how far Martin has come and especially how far Mathews has fallen.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
I have seen very few limb problems from Mathews. Before you draw judgment from responses on these forums ask your local dealers about limb problems.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
ochoytman...again I'll ask what the name of the shop is and where is it located? Phone number and address if you have it? My son lives in NC and shoots a Mathews Q2XL and I would like to pass the info on to him so he can check it out.

If you don't want to put the info on the board then just send me a private message.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
I won't pretend to know what's going on with Mathews limbs, but it does sound like a classic design problem.

Usually, you design domething for one intended use, test and anylize it thoroughly for that use, then deploy it. If anything happens outside of the intended specifications, it becomes a whole new ballgame.

One of the most difficult aspects of design is sometimes referred to as "robust design," where your thing (whatever it is) can be used outside of its original parameters and still perform well. Unfortunately, very few companies have the resources to do this kind of R & D.

Say, for the sake of argument, that the Mathews limbs are having a stiffness problem: every so often, a limb turns out a little too stiff for whatever reason. The cams etc. were designed for one stiffness, but the limbs turned out differently.

The result is that you generate higher stresses in a bow with a stiffer limb. How much higher depends roughly on the shape of the limb.

It could be that all bow manufacturers are recieving the same stiffness aberrations, but the shape Mathews uses is the only one that develops a stress that will cause failure.

Just a guess. Different max draw weights before and after a repair would indicate something like an unplanned limb stress is happening. You can design for dry fires and other "normal" abuses all day, and something like this will still take you down.

Scott

·
Banned
843 Posts
No,but it sounds like a new ad campaign slogan for Hoyt."Not only does our hybrid cam deal with nock travel,are limbs hold up better too!"

1 - 20 of 35 Posts