Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
had total hell with my lx. the string stretched and the cables jumped out of the rollers when drawn. mathews tec told me to twist my cables five times. worked for a little while but my serving came loose several place. the problem soon returned. the mathews tec told me that in the south the warm weather caused the string to stretch and there wasn't much i could. yea right, i got rid of it. looking at hoyt's . any advise.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
1. You didn't get a very good tec. 2. String stretch will happen regardless of the bow maker. Get 450+ or 452 if that's your concern. Anyone from the South or South West could have told you this. Problem solved.

·
Registered
21 Posts
You should have even had to call to talk with a tech at Mathews. I would have had my dealer send that bow back for an new everything no questions asked. My dealer would have done that and I hope that yours would have too. Just had an ordeal with a conquest that was a late Friday afternoon bow(if you know what I mean), my dealer sent it back and they put new limbs, cam, strings, rollers on it and have had no problems with it since. And it was done without any hassle from Mathews, they wanted to make it right.

D

·
0 Posts
I get new strings made...

...before I'd trash the bow for another...my understanding is the LX is a darn good bow...although I do personally prefer the HOYTs like the CYBER TEC and the ULTRA TEC...but have many a friend that LOVE the LX model...

...I'm not what you'd call a Mathews fan...but I am a fan of Mathews for all they do and have done for the archery industry...

...strings are one of the PROBLEMS with just about any bow you get...matter of fact maybe the ONLY problem with the quality of BOWS the companies are putting out today...there are isolated incidents with ALL manufactures...

...don't get MAD...get better strings and see where it takes you...

...otherwise if you still have a "hankerin" for a new HOYT...you CANNOT go wrong with a ULTRA TEC...for 3D, HUNTING or just for FUN!!:) ...

...GOOD LUCK....

>>>---DD--->;)

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
All you needed to do was buy some good strings like Winners Choice or Stone Mountain....would have been a lot less trouble for you!

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Do yourself a favor, take a look at a Cougar 3 SE or a Coufar 3 Magnum. Both fast and accurate. Martin uses Ultracam string and cables. Stronger, faster and less stretch than any of the others.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
If you decide to go with Hoyt, I think the Ultratec is the best all around bow in the line up.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Berry strings

if you want good strings and cables that are super and won't cost you a arm and a leg try berry strings !! They are great !!!

·
Registered
349 Posts
It amazes me that bow companies these days will charge you well over $600 for their premium model bows and many of them cannot put a descent string on their bows. I know many of these companies build strings in-house, so you would think after the many thousands that they have built, they would have this down to a science by now. As much technology that goes into these bows now, how hard can it be to build solid strings :confused: Seems to me strings would be the easiest part to get right. I mean, if I learned how to build a string I'm satisfied with that doesn't twist or stretch (very little anyway), why can't the engineers?

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
I have not had any of the above mentioned problems with my LX. And I have well over 2000 shots on mine.

JDES900X, ultracam string material is not faster that 8125.

·
Registered
9,860 Posts
The string and cables are very good on the BowTechs. Take a look at the '03 Patriot or VFT which are compairable to the LX in size and performance and the BowTech staff will kill you with kindness:cool:

·
Registered
621 Posts
Have not had any problems with my LX over 1500 shots thur it factory strings, shoot a lot of 3 d no streching bow shoots great.

·
Registered
11,769 Posts
im with yall on the string material, seems like alot of companies go outside to get strings. you would think that they could hire someone in house to make good strings for really cheap and have the quality control and so forth right there. of course then they would have to back the strings as well, so...back to the drawing board. easton94

·
Registered
349 Posts
Easton94-
Most companies that build there strings in house (PSE, Hoyt, and Mathews to name a couple) don't warranty the strings at all. Mathews may on theirs if they twist severely, but I don't think too often they will. Stings are usually the ONE item that the lifetime warranty does not cover until the day you buy it, then you're on your own.

D

·
0 Posts
GIMPY...I AGREE...

walks with a gi said:
The string and cables are very good on the BowTechs. Take a look at the '03 Patriot or VFT which are compairable to the LX in size and performance and the BowTech staff will kill you with kindness:cool:
...My Daughter shoots an '03 Patriot with VFT technology:) ...I shot it for the first time the other day(mainly because she was gone at the time:eek: )...

...after the very first arrow I said: "WHOA, this is SWEET":cool:...

...after the second arrow i said: "WHOA, just as SWEET" :cool: ...

...after about 30 minutes of going WHOA after EVERY arrow...she came home and said: "What are YOU doing with MY bow"???:mad: ...

...I just turned around and put it back on the BOWTREE.INC bowhanger:cool: and said: "Just looking at the color to see if the one I'm gonna get after harvest will match yours":cool: ...

...she said: "COOL DAD, I know you'll like it":cool: ...and went inside...

...good thing because I had all DOZEN of her arrows still out in the RINEHARTS:D...and had already determined I LIKED IT!!!...

...GIMPY is correct :) ...BOWTECH'S support STAFF is GREAT:cool: ...

>>>---DD--->;)

·
Urban Archery
3,814 Posts
This is why most of the serious archers I know either replace or reserve their stock strings the moment they get them.

·
Registered
880 Posts
I am shooting an 03 Hoyt ultra tec with 3000 limbs and spiral cams and it is the nicest shooting bow I have shot. I have friends that have went through the same trouble you are experiencing with your LX and they both got new custom built strings and cables made from low/no stretch material and it remedied the problem. But I feel like mathews should stand behind their product better. The tech should have let you return the bow for repair!!!!!! Free!!!! It's no wonder Hoyt is out selling mathews this year!!! I'm shooting the factory string and cable on my ultra-tec and have several thousand arrows through the bow and they are like new!!!!! You can't go wrong with the ultra tec with 3000 limbs. Pulling 67 lbs shooting a 380 grain arrow I'm still shooting 297 fps!!!!! And the 3000 limbs are worth the money!!!

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
Bowtech uses Winners Choice strings on their bows. Why cant the others as well. Would solve alot of problems. IMHO:) I wish my Hoyt would have come with them on it.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts