Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to give my Alphamax 32 to my brother and buy the Monster. I was wanting to know the speeds I would be getting with a 385 grain arrow with the bow set on 60 pounds and a 28 inch draw? it should be around 300 fps if I'm not mistaken:confused2:

Also, to all you owners of the Monster, How is it holding up after being shot several times? The main things that worry me are: 1) The string wearing and serving separating 2) Peep rotation 3) The limbs not holding up, cracking, etc. 4) Staying in tune

All in all, I want this bow to be as reliable to me as my Alphamax is. This will be the first Mathews I have owned. I shot the Monster and love it! The back wall is amazing and it holds nicely too! I grouped better with a demo that was set on 29 inch draw then I do with my Alphamax! I just want to make sure that this bow will be reliable to me... Thanks

·
Registered
223 Posts
You should be around the 300 mark. You can see the specs on mine in my signature. I have shot mine about 100 times or so...still in layaway, but have had no problems thus far. I have a friend who has had his for months and he shoots constantly and not problems at all.

·
Slickhead Slayer
5,670 Posts
If you are getting rid of the alphamax you might be better off and happier with the reezen. Its smoother and still has great speed to it. my .02

·
Registered
7,623 Posts
I wouldnt count on the strings serving etc... to last EXTREMELY long, but i really think they will be a reliable bow. Id go for it if i were you!:darkbeer:

derek

·
Registered
5,899 Posts
>500 shots, string show no signs of wear, no structural problems. Paint, limbs, riser, cams still look like they did the day I pulled er out of the box. Arrow speed is in the sig!!!

·
Registered
552 Posts
Ive owned lots of bows, always been a single cam man but i have owned 2 xforces a z28 to name a few trying to pick up more speed,( never had an alpha max though and i hear they are great bows) nothing i have had trying to pick up the speed even compares to me with the monster. I really like my ross cardiac and my drenalin and dont get me wrong the monster doesnt pull like them but it pulls great for this type of a bow and stays on target for me and yes the backwall is perfect to me too...im extremely happy with this purchase...sick lookin too! anyway mine is set at 59 lbs i have not checked how high it will max to it just fealt good here prolly go to 62 and 28" draw, with ibo 300 grain its getting 327..ohh and the 80% let off is great...feels like you can really hold it, i dont notice any creep and jump like the xforces i had. my opinion and im not a true fan boy because i own and have owned almost all brands i think mathews truly hit a home run here...

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
325-330 at 28", 60 lbs @ 5 grains per lb. arrow weight is what we are getting too. This would easily be a 300 fps hunting bow with a 400 grain arrow. Do the math...the KE would be very high! The best part is the bow is very accurate, quiet and shock free.

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
>500 shots, string show no signs of wear, no structural problems. Paint, limbs, riser, cams still look like they did the day I pulled er out of the box. Arrow speed is in the sig!!!
Prob 1000 shots on mine..still perfect, no serving prob(like all my Solo Cam Mathews'),My peep was rotating to the left 45 deg.consistantly I spent 2 days messing w/ it,.Now it sits perfect at rest and draws straight back.My Monster is 28/60 maxed out at 63# shooting a 399 gr Axis @ 298 fps through a biscuit, I changed my rest to the QAD pro HD and I LOVE IT, I prob picked up 2 fps and arrow flight is amazing. Im shooting Axis 340's. I was shooting Axis 400's but I got more consistant broadhead flight with the 340's(3" group out to 40 yrds w/ fixed Muzzy 100 gr 3 blades and my Rage 2 blades).The bow is a shooter.I dont regret going with the 60#er at all, its perfect.

·
Registered
7,546 Posts
I gave up my am32 for a monster and loved it. For 27 to 28 DL shooters its a much more comfortable bow IMO. You will get about 290 i believe. I get 300 fps and i shoot 27in 60# with a 330 gr arrow. Your arrow weight is the big difference. YOu wont regret it. The strings are fine. Mine is staying in tune fine. The only problem is i am afraid to shoot groups under 40 yards. lol. No serving problems at all. Mathews made a very very nice bow in the monster. Quit being hesitant. You'll love it. Im getting 10# more of KE then i was with my AM32 and pulling the same weight and a inch shorter DL.

·
Registered
7,546 Posts
325-330 at 28", 60 lbs @ 5 grains per lb. arrow weight is what we are getting too. This would easily be a 300 fps hunting bow with a 400 grain arrow. Do the math...the KE would be very high! The best part is the bow is very accurate, quiet and shock free.
uhh i dont know about that:confused: a 400 gr arrow?

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
I got my monster in about 2 months ago and I have shot the hell out of it. I love this bow....

here are my specs

28.5in DL 62lb.

390 grain arrow

Speed nock, kushion button,(no loop) G5 Hunter peep, Limbsaver string silencers, All tied in with serving.

And I am getting 293 fps out of it. So you will get right around 300.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have been shooting my Monster for about a week now. No problems with the string, everything is solid.

Specs:
29" DL @ 60 lbs. = 305fps
367gr. arrow
peep and loop on the string

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
My 27/70 Monster 6.0 shot 280 fps with a 383 grain arrow set on 65lbs when I first got it. It was eyeball tuned then. I've turned the limb bolts up a few turns since then, and have her tuned up now. I'm gonna graph it again in the next week or so to see what it's doing now. No issues with durability. I've shot it about 600 times.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Monster

I had mine since april and its great, Shot the crap out of it and the only reason I changed the strings was to make it look cooler....if thats a word...lol
Still got the old ones as backup just in case. I'm getting 338FPS at 29in, 60# with a 305gr arrow, shot my 400gr arrow out of it last week at 300FPS.
Enjoy

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks guys.. I appreciate all the replies and the help. I am definately gonna get this bow soon!

What type of stabilizer would you recommend for this bow??

1 - 20 of 36 Posts