Archery Talk Forum banner

Mathews Monster Review

22919 Views 13 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  Accident
Hey, I was looking at bows and recently purchased a Mathews Monster. I am writing this becuase most the posts I found about the monster were outdated and had me concerned about buying this bow. I upgraded from a PSE Nova Team Fitzgerald Edition that I have used for almost ten years now. I tried out many bows, including Hoyts, Mission (yes it's mathews), pse's, diamond's (don't have a bowtech dealer close so had to go to Dick's, Gander Mountain, and Cabela's outside of mylocal archery shops.) I can say that I was impressed with all of these bows, the new Hoyt's made an excellent impression with me; however, my form (which I know is bad) caused problems with the back part of the riser, basically my wrist would push against it and introduce torque into the bow. Other than that the Maxxis and I think it was the Alpha Max were very nice shooting bows. I was amazed by just how quiet and dead in hand all these bows were compared to the one I had! I ended up choosing the Monster because I have a dealer close by who can help me with it and because for me it shot good. Mine is set up at 60 lbs. with a 28" draw and the Dead end String Stop. With a 450 grain arrow it shoots around 270 fps. My hunting bows are 400 grains, and it shoots them around 292-295 fps. For giggles, I had the dealer turn my limbs up and we shot an IBO legal arrow (i believe his weighed about 355 grains) and the chrono showed a slowest speed of 335 and a fastest speed of 350. Not sure why the difference, maybe had to do with string slap on my sleeve? As far as accuracy, I have no problem, at twenty five yards I am consistently grouping arrows and have nicked several feathers and broken a couple of nocks. I will say that when I do make a bad shot it DOES tend to go farther astray than my old PSE. However, I have not yet pulled a shot outside of the vital area. I work full time and do not get as much time to practice as I would like, so I was concerned about the forgiveness of the 6" brace height (Mine is not the XL8R). Now I do not worry about it. This bow, for me anyways, is a very decent shooter and I don't believe anyone should be scared of it for hunting. What I like about it is that I was able to drop ten pounds off my draw weight (my PSE was 70 lbs.) and I picked up right at 100 FPS on my hunting arrows. While I'm not a speed freak this resulted in my kinetic energy going from around 41 ft./lbs. to 70.5 ft./lbs. roughly. One issue some people may have with this bow is string slap. Like I said, I don't have perfect form and after shooting twenty or thirty arrows I really have to concentrate on form or my arm pays the price. As noted elsewhere this bow does have a pretty decent ridge right before the let-off, however this doesn't bother me. What I do like is that at full draw it is extremely easy to hold. In fact, at times I feel as if I have to "push" the string to get the bow to draw down. You do have to concentrate while letting this bow down to do it "smoothly". Of course, the ultimate test will come this spring as I try to take my first turkey ever with it. I hope this review will help somebody who is looking at this bow and can only find the older reviews that are based more on speculation and hype than actual experience with the bow. If anyone has any questions please feel free to ask, also, as I get to spend more time with this bow, I'll try to update the thread if I change my mind on anything.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
392 Posts
Monster Review

Good honest review. So many great bows out there that it is really hard to pick one. The Monster is not for everyone, especially when you are dealing with a 6" brace height or 5". I have a XLR8 and it did take me a little while to get used to the draw. The thing I like about it is that it holds dead in the hand at full draw, and is very accurate. I love speed, but a bow has to feel good and be accurate. My opinion is that the Monster makes you a better shot, because it forces you have good form. All bows you must have good form, but the Monster series is not for your beginner. Good luck with yours. I'm looking forward to 3D and hunting with mine.:shade:

· Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Update!

Ok, I've had more time to shoot the Monster and I am liking more every time. I have finally gotten my form down to where i don't slap my arm. And now that I am not afraid of that I am not pulling shots as much. I tried some walk back tuning and the arrows were straight up and down...I then put on some judo points and my broadheads (Rage 3 blades) and they all group right with the field points. I had expected for my groups to grow as I went back to forty...figured it'd make the walk back tuning harder....but it wasn't really an issue. If I pulled a shot I knew it and just shot one more and it would group with the rest so...Big thumbs up from me so far...again, ill update if anything changes. By the way, thanks for the reveiw monster69...hope yours is still treating you good.

· Registered
629 Posts
I think if a person actually shot this bow they would be impressed. The 6" brace height is not that big of deal with the string supressor. I just picked one up to try and it has won me over.

· Registered
271 Posts
Well monster 6 has the 60-70 limbs on it also and it has a shrewd grip on it dont know if that makes a difference but i backed my limbs out 5 rounds and when i checked the brace height on mine it was right at 6 1/2". I was just curious if anyone else has checked thiers and at 5 rounds out it was 56#

· Registered
2,932 Posts
Im more accurate with a monster then any other bow i have shot, If i shoot the monster for a while then shoot my maxxis 31 im allways amazed how i group arrows much better with the monster. You dont need much of a stablizer on a monster to be stedy on target.

2 things i do with my monsters right away is trow away that block of wood mathews call a grip and put a torqueless grip, I also trow the zebra bowstrings away and swap them out for a winners choice or a 60X string.

· Registered
2,932 Posts
Well monster 6 has the 60-70 limbs on it also and it has a shrewd grip on it dont know if that makes a difference but i backed my limbs out 5 rounds and when i checked the brace height on mine it was right at 6 1/2". I was just curious if anyone else has checked thiers and at 5 rounds out it was 56#
Both my monsters are the same, 5 turns out is 58.8lbs and max out at 73.4lbs.

· Registered
22 Posts
Just purchased a Monster 7, 60lbs., 27"draw,............loving it, what a great bow, smooth, quiet, soft in the hand, and deadly accurate. I'm thinking I'll have to hang up my Drenalin, which I also love, but can only shoot one at a time. I'm a Monster believer!

· Registered
363 Posts
Nice Review

Thanks for the review. The new Monster bows are very good shooting bows. I haved an 09 and love shooting the bow. This bow has seen alot of attention both good and bad. Alot of people complain about the draw cycle. The bow shoots 350......It is going to have a harsher draw cycle. That being said...they are not the smoothest speed bow either. I believe the Destroyer 350 is much smoother. However I feel that full draw balance of this bow out shines them all. The first time I pciked up the Monster I hated the top/front heavy feel of the bow. That was the first impression. After shooting this bow....I was amazed at how this bow held at full draw. This bow flat holds incredible IMHO. I think you made a great choice.....the quality of mathews.....the resale value....the shooting experience...you made a excellent choice. Good luck with your new bow.

· Registered
193 Posts
I really like my XLR8 and got it when I was just starting in the sport. Right after my PSE GX TS. I had no problem getting the XLR8 to put arrows right where I wanted them. After getting a press and putting my timing right on the money, it's a real tack driver.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.