Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, we got a Mathews Monster in at the shop this morning. I looked it over really good, put the proper sized mods on it, threw a whisker bisquit on, leveled it up, set center shot, crimped a brass knock on it, and took it out and shot it. All I can say is WOW.... This is a speed demon!!! :eek:

I payed real close attention to detail while I was shooting it, due to all of the info I had read on here. It had a tiny hint of hand vibration, not at all like it was descriped in previous evaluations I had read. The overall draw of the bow was super smooth. The vally was WAY smoother then I expected it to be, again, due to what I read on here. The wall was nice and solid, and the really nice thing about the wall is that when you pulled through the vally, it was almost instant. I would say the vally starts at about 80-86% through the draw cycle and then BOOM a nice solid wall.

The let off was pretty amazing, It felt as if I could really relax while at full draw. It didnt want to take off on you like some had mentioned in other posts.

The bow was surprizingly very very quiet. A hint of string noise, but nothing some cat whiskers and a string supressor woulnt take care of.

The bow is a tad on the heavy side. A couple of weeks of shooting it and you would have those little stabilizer muscles built up enough to not notice it, but at first, it does feel a tad heavy.

I am giving this bow :thumbs_up:thumbs_up and a big thanks to Matt McPherson and Mathews Inc. for another great bow.

If Matt designs this bow in a 7" brace height next year, I will be buying one for sure. But I am not going to sacrifice accuracy for speed, personally.

I highly reccomend shooting it for yourself before making any decisions on the bow. I went out to shoot the bow with low expections due to some of the other reviews, but I was blown away at the overall performance of this bow.

NJ and Eastern PA archers, if you want to shoot it, come on over to Blackwater Sports Center in Vineland, NJ, We will set it to your draw length and let you give this a test drive.

· Tooth, Fang, Claw
6,284 Posts
I shot it for a couple of hours yesterday and I'd have to say your review/opinion is dead nuts spot on. :thumbs_up A bit top heavy, but it's not too shabby for a speed bow......:wink:

· Registered
955 Posts
monster

The only thing I didn't like is the last 3" of the draw cycle.When the cam breaks over,has a very noticeable thunk in the draw cycle.I thought it has also quiet,little hand shock,held nice,and was very fast.I just couldn't get over the draw cycle,smooth and then thunk,you would've thought the cams cam off.The reezen didn't compare overall to the monster,in my opinion.

· Registered
2,809 Posts
:thumbs_up:thumbs_up

I agree with everything you said, with the exception of the accuracy. I was sceered to get a Prestige cause of the brace height. Debated, asked questions here, on the Mathews forum, sceered to death, but to be honest, once I bit the bullet and got one I couldnt tell a difference. I know it wasnt my flawless form, must have been the drop away rests, and new technology. Anyway that bow is a tac driver.

BUt time will tell with the monster. I cant wait to shoot and group etc... see how she does.

· Registered
2,362 Posts
[If Matt designs this bow in a 7" brace height next year, I will be buying one for sure. But I am not going to sacrifice accuracy for speed, personally.

I highly reccomend shooting it for yourself before making any decisions on the bow. I went out to shoot the bow with low expections due to some of the other reviews, but I was blown away at the overall performance of this bow.

I shot it last night for the first time and I was impressed with it. The only thing I do not really care for is the hard break over rite at the end of the draw cycle. Once you get it back it is easy to hold and seems to hold well also. I would love to see one of these made with a 7" brace height also - I would be first in line to buy one. JMO

· Registered
207 Posts
Well why the heck did you dry fire it :crazy::wink:

I can't wait to go shoot it...I wasn't real real impressed with the Reezen, I was impressed with the speed, but not impressed enough to get rid of the Dren for it. But maybe the Monster will be different:cool:

· Scott Turner
637 Posts
I also agree with the reveiw. The Monster has a very solid wall and holds like a rock. It really did feel like you could relax at full draw. Personaly I like it better than the Reezen. It was not lacking on the speed either. The bow was set up with a loop and a TM hunter style rest, it maxed out at 71 lbs, found an arrow that was 355grs shot it though the meter at 352 fps, with a 30in draw.

· Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

· Registered
5 Posts
Not sure yet

I shoot a Mathews Switchback XT 28.5" @70. The bow is great, its smooth and very easy to shoot but is there any way to get a little bit more speed out of it? It crono's at 275 which works and its never let me down yet black birds to deer but when I shoot 3-D its amazing to see the newer bows just waste mine. I have the accuracy but the speed, not so much.

· Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I shoot a Mathews Switchback XT 28.5" @70. The bow is great, its smooth and very easy to shoot but is there any way to get a little bit more speed out of it? It crono's at 275 which works and its never let me down yet black birds to deer but when I shoot 3-D its amazing to see the newer bows just waste mine. I have the accuracy but the speed, not so much.

JohnG you can keep the accuracy and gain speed with another bow. You dont have to drop down to a 6" brace height bow to gain speed.
Look into the Mathews Reezen 7.0, DXT or even the Drenalin, all are faster IBO then the Switchback, and have the same brace height, so you dont have to sacrifice accuracy.

· Registered
5 Posts
Yeah see thats the thing I'm on the fence if I want to dump money into a new bow or if there is anything I can do to this one. Believe you me I have been looking at all the new shiney, super-fast bows but I don't think I need one just quite yet.

· Registered
2,201 Posts

· Registered
802 Posts
Yeah see thats the thing I'm on the fence if I want to dump money into a new bow or if there is anything I can do to this one. Believe you me I have been looking at all the new shiney, super-fast bows but I don't think I need one just quite yet.
Try putting a Vapor Trail string and cable on the switchback and see if you dont improve your speed. also try a lighter arrow even if just for 3Ds

· Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Vapor Trail makes an awesome set of strings and cables. They claim to add up to 10fps over stock strings and cables. I have personally used their products, and will tell you first hand, they do make a difference.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.