Archery Talk Forum banner
  • Enter in this new Contest Sponsored by Walmart for your chance to win a $400 gift just in time for the 4th of July! HERE Contest Ends on the 30th.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently shooting a Mathews Outback. I know it is a very old bow but it shoots well! A friend of mine who has bought newer Mathews bows says that he feels my bow shoots as good or better than newer ones. Just wanted to see if anyone else felt that way. Trying to make a decision on keeping it or getting a new one.

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
I am currently shooting a Mathews Outback. I know it is a very old bow but it shoots well! A friend of mine who has bought newer Mathews bows says that he feels my bow shoots as good or better than newer ones. Just wanted to see if anyone else felt that way. Trying to make a decision on keeping it or getting a new one.
It's not an Outback, but my son-in-law shoots a 2007 Bowtech Tribute and it shoots as nice as my Halon 32-7 and Traverse with respect to being smooth and quiet, so I can believe that your Outback still shoots nice as well. Few of the changes that happen over time to these bows has little effect on the actual shot. All the talk about dead in hand, shock, vibration, etc. has gotten to the point that the claimed year over year improvements are effectively imperceptible to the average shooter; you need scientific instrumentation to even detect them.

·
Registered
11,962 Posts
My outback was one of those bows that made me look good, even on the bad shots. Accurate, smooth as silk and whisper quiet.. even by today's standards.
If you have the new bow bug, by all means get a new bow and try it... but you're honestly not going to gain much, other than a little speed.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
441 Posts
I wish I still had my outback, would have saved me thousands. Keep it and hunt with it, the Outback will kill them just as dead as any new bow.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's not an Outback, but my son-in-law shoots a 2007 Bowtech Tribute and it shoots as nice as my Halon 32-7 and Traverse with respect to being smooth and quiet, so I can believe that your Outback still shoots nice as well. Few of the changes that happen over time to these bows has little effect on the actual shot. All the talk about dead in hand, shock, vibration, etc. has gotten to the point that the claimed year over year improvements are effectively imperceptible to the average shooter; you need scientific instrumentation to even detect them.
Awesome, thanks so much for the info.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My outback was one of those bows that made me look good, even on the bad shots. Accurate, smooth as silk and whisper quiet.. even by today's standards.
If you have the new bow bug, by all means get a new bow and try it... but you're honestly not going to gain much, other than a little speed.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Gotcha! Yes I do feel that it shoots great and is very consistent! I appreciate the info.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I shoot an outback and a vertix. The outback is a great shooter! The vertix is also a great shooter! The veritx blows the outback out of the water in speed and quietness. The hand shock is also a world of difference. My vote would be to go shoot as many new ones as you can. And if you can shoot side by side with your outback. And shoot through chrono only so you can see the difference for your self.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I shoot an outback and a vertix. The outback is a great shooter! The vertix is also a great shooter! The veritx blows the outback out of the water in speed and quietness. The hand shock is also a world of difference. My vote would be to go shoot as many new ones as you can. And if you can shoot side by side with your outback. And shoot through chrono only so you can see the difference for your self.
Awesome, thank you for the info! I appreciate it.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Bought an outback new when they came out, was an excellent bow and took many animals with it. Sometimes find myself wanting to pick one up to play with again since I sold mine when I got the ZXT when they came out. My suggestion, if wanting a new bow, go for it but keep the Outback, would make a dandy backup bow or even fun to pull out and shoot now and again.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bought an outback new when they came out, was an excellent bow and took many animals with it. Sometimes find myself wanting to pick one up to play with again since I sold mine when I got the ZXT when they came out. My suggestion, if wanting a new bow, go for it but keep the Outback, would make a dandy backup bow or even fun to pull out and shoot now and again.
Thank you for the info, greatly appreciated!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just saw this thread, made me feel all nostalgic. My best friend growing up, and the one who taught me all about archery, shot an outback. Killingest dang bow I’ve ever seen. He sold it when Mathews came out with the monster, and he still cries about it to this day. Keep it and cherish it forever!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I shot a Switchback for years. Loved it. Two seasons ago I got the chance at a super cheap Monster Chill so I switched. I was blown away by the difference. The Chill though still older was much quieter and smoother. I have since moved to a Triax and it’s even quieter than the Chill. All that being said. I killed a lot of critters with that Switchback and it would have been much cheaper if I had just kept it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just saw this thread, made me feel all nostalgic. My best friend growing up, and the one who taught me all about archery, shot an outback. Killingest dang bow I’ve ever seen. He sold it when Mathews came out with the monster, and he still cries about it to this day. Keep it and cherish it forever!
Will do, thank you so much for the advice! I appreciate it

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I’ve had 3 outbacks. The first one I backed over with my Jeep and slightly bent the rider so I sold it to a machinest that straightened it out and swore it was the best bow ever and ended up buying another one. The second one I hunted with til the Switchback XT came out. The third one I won in a lottery and sold it to my friend that still hunts with it. It was a great bow and it will do everything what the new ones do.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I’ve had 3 outbacks. The first one I backed over with my Jeep and slightly bent the rider so I sold it to a machinest that straightened it out and swore it was the best bow ever and ended up buying another one. The second one I hunted with til the Switchback XT came out. The third one I won in a lottery and sold it to my friend that still hunts with it. It was a great bow and it will do everything what the new ones do.
👍🏻 Thank you for the reply!!
Will do! Thank you so much for the reply

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I shot a Switchback for years. Loved it. Two seasons ago I got the chance at a super cheap Monster Chill so I switched. I was blown away by the difference. The Chill though still older was much quieter and smoother. I have since moved to a Triax and it’s even quieter than the Chill. All that being said. I killed a lot of critters with that Switchback and it would have been much cheaper if I had just kept it.
👍🏻Thank you

·
Registered
90 Posts
The outback was top 3 all time for me as well, up there with the q2, switchback. Too bad I didnt realize that at the time and keep it because that was a truly vibration/noise free tack-driving bow.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts