Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see in the Mathews 2009 catalog there is one bow that failed to get into the catalog so-to-speak...the recurve bow. Why would Mathews put a picture of Vic Wunderle (sp?) and his recurve bow if they're not planning on giving us some info regarding specs? Sort of goofy to even put the picture in there to me if you're not going to give people information on the bow. I've checked with a few dealers and they give me a strange look as if I don't know what I'm talking about. For those of you that don't know what I'm talking about take a look at page 53 of the 2009 catalog.

Where in the heck can a person get some info regarding this bow, limbs, etc.?

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
all i know about that riser is that it's not for sale
I wonder why not?

JimC had one at his place hangin' up. It looked pretty nice but I don't know how or when he recieved it.

Are they waiting for Vic to when gold or something? C'mon Mathews that's rediculous...not having that bow for sale I mean. What's up wit dat?

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I emailed them a few months ago, no reply.
Called them shortly before Vegas and they promptly returned my call, said they would get more information and get back to me. Haven't heard anything since then.
I've taken those same steps as you, only it was last year. Same response...NO Response.

I have a Mathews dealer down the street from me and even he can't find any info or get it for that matter.

The reason I ask is that Mathews doesn't make a finger bow to suit me, they never have. This drives my dealer crazy. When I first seen this recurve bow I thought I'd like to give it a try. Maybe you have to have a special name or somthing to own one. One more reason I'm not on the Mathews bandwagon, not that they'd care.

· Registered
273 Posts
I emailed them a few months ago, no reply.
Called them shortly before Vegas and they promptly returned my call, said they would get more information and get back to me. Haven't heard anything since then.
Not to be a cynic, but that's Customer Service's way of saying get lost. Saying you'll get back to someone is a tactic a few of my friends in customer service have used to get a customer to back off, because then they don't have to be blunt or come forward with anything, and the customer isn't supposed to call back.

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Why not just say to folks that they are still doing R&D on the bow and leave it at that, instead on not getting back with folks? I don't really think that they're trying to tell people to get lost, but if they are by doing what you susggest, that's bad and it isn't even in a category of customer service.

Let's face it, it can't be in R&D and be put in a catalog, featured or not.

I just figured someone here would know at least a little bit about the bow and it's specs, limbs, etc. I'm not going to waste my time anymore calling and emailing Mathews.

The only bit of info I heard was awhile back and it had something to do with Sky archery...and who knows if that info was even remotely true.

· Registered
555 Posts
Since Rodney White used this bow in Sydney 2000, I wanted one but... 9 years after, is still not under production.

Really a pity

· Registered
2,005 Posts
The prototypes that are being used/tested are much more refined versions of that 2000 bow. I would guess that when they are comfortable that it is a top quality product they will release it.

Sounds like it may be close, since they left themselves a window like the "Vic" pics in the catalog.

There is so much that goes into this type thing, it's really hard to predict when we'll see it. I do know that there are now more protype sightings than in the past years. We can only hope it becomes a reality sooner than later.

· Registered
435 Posts
Hoyt, Samick, W&W, PSE, the Italian companies and at least one French company all have new recurve risers out or about to come out... while Matthews hasn't released a riser that has been in development and prototyping since 2000? Holy smokes! :eek: It is apparent that recurve is not a priority at Matthews.

· Genesis 21:20
25,291 Posts
Called them shortly before Vegas and they promptly returned my call, said they would get more information and get back to me. Haven't heard anything since then
Pretty well the same experience I had trying to buy SKY limbs back in the spring of '04. I blew them off finally after Jim Coombe turned me on to the "real" SKY limbs that Ann was closing out. Took two pairs of those all the way to Athens. Mathews is seriously dropping the ball on this project. It doesn't take 9 years to develop a recurve riser. Not even 2 years if you are serious about it.

John.

· Urban Archery
3,813 Posts
In my opinion this riser is never meant for actual sale. I think Mathews are using it to get the name into the Olympics, but not interested in the actual production. They have probably done the research and decided that the sales numbers would not be worth it.

· Registered
882 Posts
ok so the deal that i have gathered is that.. vic and brady both shot this riser before they were dicontinued. but mathews being a business they still make them for them b/c its good markiting. i dont know if they will ever come out with the bow for actuall retail though

· Registered
3,042 Posts
ok so the deal that i have gathered is that.. vic and brady both shot this riser before they were dicontinued. but mathews being a business they still make them for them b/c its good markiting. i dont know if they will ever come out with the bow for actuall retail though
i don't think that there ever was a production line to be discontinued. i've always figured that Mathews made a couple of one-offs for a select few archers, and that that's pretty much it as far as this riser's concerned.

· Archery Coach
23,395 Posts
Pretty well the same experience I had trying to buy SKY limbs back in the spring of '04. I blew them off finally after Jim Coombe turned me on to the "real" SKY limbs that Ann was closing out. Took two pairs of those all the way to Athens. Mathews is seriously dropping the ball on this project. It doesn't take 9 years to develop a recurve riser. Not even 2 years if you are serious about it.

John.
I could fill the board with what I know about this but I won't bore you all. John knows the story and its a sorry one at that. All I can say is that it is good that Earl isn't around (maybe he is but that is beyond my psychic powers) to see what happened to one of the great names in recurve archery. I have more real sky limbs than I can count and a few of the matthews ones as well as one of the matthews risers. Their effort (I think Kevin B was the guy who made them) wasn't bad-its the marketing and ambivalence towards the project that really is the issue.

I agree with John

· Registered
38,292 Posts
think Mathews have it right...build a "prop" to get to the show and reap the attention without the cost of entering a finite market....a marketing coup of sorts....
Reminds me of the Motorola com systems that the NFL coaches wear--those aren't made by Motorola, they are made by ClearCom, but Motorola has paid the NFL to have their logo prominently featured and ClearCom sells the wireless com systems to colleges who feel they have to have them to be competitive.

· Registered
3,200 Posts
JMHO but that riser is ugly.........i wouldn't buy one even if its for sale...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.