Archery Talk Forum banner

Mathews Reputation

4K views 52 replies 38 participants last post by  boogy 
#1 ·
I went shooting at a shop this morning and when I was leaving I was listening to a guy who just bought a switchback. He was talking to another customer telling him how the switchback is the best bow you can buy. The other guy asked him how it shot and he said I don't know but its the best bow because its a mathews so it must be good. He then tells the other guy who needed a string and was thinking winners choice but he told him no you want the zebra twist because its mathews and its the best. The owner was there so I didn't really want to say anything. I just thought it was funny how he didn't even want to try it and walked out with no accessories on it. You could tell he didn't have a clue about anything but was really stubborn and acted like he did. Mathews is a great bow so thats not what I am getting at. I think the other guy would have been better off with the winners choice though.

#4 ·
A lot of folks feel it's neccessary to ride with the biggest, loudest and flashiest krewe.

#7 ·
Best bow and or equipment.

The best equipment and person can have is what works for them, what they can afford, and what they are comfortable with. I do shoot a Mathews but that is just "MY" preference for me not everyone else. I also enjoy shooting Hoyt, Pearson, Bear, Parker, Whatever. Just my opinion. :wink:

#8 ·
Some of us can shoot any bow out there

We choose Mathews because there good bows.

I often see guys like this in bow shops talking about there favorite brand. Doesnt have to be a Mathews, theres lots of brand loyal shooters.

#9 ·
MonstrBuk21 said:
If there is one thing I've learned in this sport, there is a ton of know it alls. :rolleyes:

Was that a shot?

Hee Hee! :wink:

#10 ·
I agree 100%. I was one of these " buy a matthews , its the best" guys but i slowed down did a pile of research on the net and other places and came up with 2 choices...allegience or switchback. At the end of the day i decided on a alleg. I have shot both bows set up identical in the bowshop, the owner set them up per my request so i could try them both out. Same arrows, rest, site everything and the bowtech SPANKED the matthews ***** in speed. Now im not saying the switchback is a bad bow...quite opposite, its awesome and shoots just like the bowtech except for the speed and thats what i was after.

What kills me though is how you can goto 3 bow shops talk 2 3 diffrent bow guys , ask them all the same question and every answers diffrent. When i was trying to get the correct arrow weight for my bowtech to shoot at its optimal performance i NEVER got the same answer twice. That goes for any bow question....that just tickles me to death.

#11 ·
Mathew's

I think Mathews makes a fine looking bow, my friend has an Outback, and it's a nice shooting bow. It's just the grip doesn't fit my hand, and it doesn't feel comfortable that way. On the other hand, Hoyt's have a great feeling grip, and that is why I have 3 bows :shade: if mathews would cut down on the size of there grip, I might actually try one, Maybe :mg:

#13 ·
I witnessed a funny Switchback buyers response at the range one day.

He had the bow fully rigged out without ever shooting it and then asked how much it was. He then went into sticker shock mode and said, "damn for that much it better be good".

Then he proceeds to the range and shoots the bow. "Wow could we let off of the draw weight some I'm only hunting deer, I don't need it at 70#, back it down to 65 please." They walk over to the scale and it was already at 64! He then ask why it pulls harder than his Outback with a worried look on his face. Another archer then snickers "you don't think those 10 feet per second were free do ya?"
Too funny...........

Never even shot the bow, just bought into the hype.

Don't get me wrong though, the switchback is a sweet ride, it just sounded like he wished he had is outback back for the price he just coughed up for the latest and greatest.

#14 ·
Bow Speed

If someone is buying a bow and their decision is based on speed, you are missing the mark. Who give a rats arse if one is 10 ft per second slower or faster. How much do you think 10fps really does for you. Do the math sometime and buy what fits you and shoots for you. Be it a Bowtech, Hoyt, Matew etc.

#16 ·
parkerbows said:
Your'e right about the speed. The point of my post is that mathews and some others reputation sells a bow alot of times without some people even trying them out.
Kind of like facial tissue, huh?

Hand me a Klenex, when it might actually be a Scott. :p

Before long, you may walk into a shop and say I want to shoot that Mathews you have there, even though it may be a Hoyt hanging there on the wall. :D

#17 ·
Daniel Boone said:
Some of us can shoot any bow out there
We choose Mathews because there good bows.

I often see guys like this in bow shops talking about there favorite brand. Doesnt have to be a Mathews, theres lots of brand loyal shooters.
You're not alone in the boat. Some of us choose BowTech, Hoyt, Martin, etc. :wink:

#18 ·
Matthews bows IMO are junk. We had a guy who came to us with a BRAND NEW SWITCHBACK and while we were about to give it to him we noticed a cracked limb....BRAND NEW $800 BOW AND YOU GET A CRACKED LIMB WITH IT. There bows are a pain in the butt to tune and they are 800 bucks......RIPOFF. Seriously now, how many people paper tune their bow, if you havent paper tuned your matthews i bet ya anything you have a left tear and have to put a butt load of twists in it to get it a little bit better. I would rather spend my money on a PSE Nova then a Matthews(No offense to PSE shooters). At least they shoot straight.

#19 ·
00buck said:
I witnessed a funny Switchback buyers response at the range one day.

He had the bow fully rigged out without ever shooting it and then asked how much it was. He then went into sticker shock mode and said, "damn for that much it better be good".

Then he proceeds to the range and shoots the bow. "Wow could we let off of the draw weight some I'm only hunting deer, I don't need it at 70#, back it down to 65 please." They walk over to the scale and it was already at 64! He then ask why it pulls harder than his Outback with a worried look on his face. Another archer then snickers "you don't think those 10 feet per second were free do ya?"
Too funny...........

Never even shot the bow, just bought into the hype.

Don't get me wrong though, the switchback is a sweet ride, it just sounded like he wished he had is outback back for the price he just coughed up for the latest and greatest.
That's odd, the Switchback is hands down one of the absolute easiest 70lb. bows to draw. That guy just must have not known much about bows in general. You'll hear that kind of talk about any brand if you walk into one of their pro shops. I think it's always funny how a guy can sell brand X one year and talk about how they are the best bows made and the next year he's not carrying them and all of a sudden they are junk. It's just part of the business. I've been in a Storm shop and listened to guys tell me how they are so much better than Mathews, Hoyt, or Bowtech. It's all relative and it goes on every day in just about every shop.

#21 ·
I know you guys will probably think I am nuts and blowing smoke, but another reason I shoot a Mathews, and dont get me wrong I love my Switchback, is that the guy who owns the shop that I use, is the only person in my area I feel has the knowledge that I would expect a "pro-shop" owner to have. I feel confident in the fact that should a problem arise, he is completly capable of handleing the issue, what ever it may be. Also has anyone noticed how many, and I am not picking on Hoyt, Hoyt dealers there are out there, it seems to me that every five feet down the road there is another "pro-shop". I feel that in my area they should weed out some of the shops, and focus on streghtening the good dealers instead of watering down the market so.

#22 ·
TWM said:
Matthews bows IMO are junk. We had a guy who came to us with a BRAND NEW SWITCHBACK and while we were about to give it to him we noticed a cracked limb....BRAND NEW $800 BOW AND YOU GET A CRACKED LIMB WITH IT. There bows are a pain in the butt to tune and they are 800 bucks......RIPOFF. Seriously now, how many people paper tune their bow, if you havent paper tuned your matthews i bet ya anything you have a left tear and have to put a butt load of twists in it to get it a little bit better. I would rather spend my money on a PSE Nova then a Matthews(No offense to PSE shooters). At least they shoot straight.

NOT! :shade:

#23 · (Edited)
I am not a mathews shooter. But I will say this. I will not say anything bad about them. Some people say they have seen cracked limbs on mathews bows that are brand new. And you know what? I believe you. Because I've seen it. But I've also seen it on AR's, Brownings, Bowtech's, Martins, ect. ect.
It happens!!!!! To all bows. Like I said, I do not shoot a mathews, but I work at a large pro shop and when there is a problem with one of thier bows, Mathews is one of the best I've seen at making things right. They have warranteed stuff that I dont feel they should have, but they do it because its all about the customer at mathews. Do you know why that switchback has that beefy price tag on it? It's because your buying a quality bow and a little peace of mind that if for some reason there is a problem, it will be made right.
For the record I shoot an Archery Research AR-34. And I have complete confidence in that if for any reason there is a problem PSE will make it right.
I have no need to try to make mathews look bad. I joke around with people I know about AR being way better than Mathews, and for me it is. But for a lot of people it's not. I have shot the Switchback and it is a smooth, fast, consistent, machine. I am not going to buy one, but that does not make it crap.
Now tell me how crappy my AR is please, I cant wait to hear it!! And you will really look like a pro for doing it.

The fact that a person goes to a pro shop and buys a bow he has never shot tells us more about that person then it does about the bow!!!!!!

#24 ·
You know what there are so many bows out there of equal value,whether a person has THE best one or not is really inconsequential(wish I would have thought of a better word,would have spelled it better) but the true magic is thinking you have the best out there.I would much rather be the man who thinks he has the best out there then the man who is always striving to have the best out there.When you buy a bow that is in your mind the best out there and one everybody envy`s it truly is magical.I will never forget buying my first top line bow(mathews LX) probably thanks to advertising but when I got that bow it was unbelievable and I didn`t really know much about archery.That wasn`t long ago but I guarantee those memories and feelings will last forever.I`m obsessed now and caught up with the latest and the greatest but I don`t think I will ever have those mystical feelings like when you get your first perceived top line bow.

#25 ·
Webb site sold me

I love Mathews webb site for information. When I have a question on how to do some thing I have always had a tech come on or PM me with the right answer. I have three Mathews now and I am happy with each of them. I have shot just about all the makers bows and they all make a good bow. I just like good information to go along with my bows.

#26 ·
TWM said:
I've never had a problem tuning either of my Mathews'... Also when I had limbs that were worn, not even cracked, just old, I wrote Mathews, and asked if they would be able to track down a new pair for me to buy. The next day I got a phone call saying my limbs were in the mail free of charge. Mathews is awesome!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.