Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a used bow that I'm told is a Safari Custom.

The sticker giving the data is wrinkled, but I think it says: Max weight 100, string length 97-11/16, cable 40-15/16. The cam is SAF-BR.

The Brace height measures 6-19/32 and the axle-to-axle is 38-3/4.

What is the brace height and A2A supposed to be?

The cam timing appears "normal" for a solo cam, but I sure could use a picture or directions for establishing proper timing.

Any other information or a copy of the owner's manual would be greatly appreciated. Any Safari owners out there who'd share some tips would be welcome!

The thing is awfully easy to draw if it's really 100 pounds!

·
Premium Member
17,587 Posts
Hey Don G

This is an interesting question and pretty specialized I would think. Have you tried the Mathews website yet? If you don't get a response here, that is where I would try next. Just my 0.02. Good luck.
John

·
Registered
9,601 Posts
I believe the BH is supposed to be 7" and the ata is 38".

That cam is harsh (kind of like the Black Max cam) so I am really impressed that it is easy to draw. My buddy had a RH Safari that bottomed out on 107 pounds. It was something.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mathews says 39.5" A2A, 7.5" brace height.

This bow is almost an inch short on both A2A and BH. I am wondering if the limbs have been replaced or if it is really a Safari.

I will take it down and get the draw weight checked, and try to get some speeds.

The sticker says Safari, and the Cam says SAF-BR, but everything else seems off!

Don

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mathews Safari

After putting on a nominal-length string and cable set (97-11/16 and 40-15/16) according to the sticker, then timing the cam by twisting the string, I get an A2A of 38-3/8 and a BH of 6-15/16". The peak DW is 98-102 pounds, depending on whish scale I use. The DL is just over 29.5" with the SAF-BR cam (which is nominally 30").

This tells me that the A2A and BH should be 38" and 7" respectively -- but even in the face of this Mathews continues to insist that it should be 39-1/2 and 7-1/2" based on the serial number.

Tax Lawyer (or anyone else) can you tell me more about where you got your information? Or where I can get more?

Thanks!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Goofed on A2A - measured 38-3/32

The measured A2A is now at 38-3/32 NOT 38-3/8". I did not see my error until too late to edit!

Don

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mathews Safari

Please, anybody with a Safari, give me your axle-to-axle, brace height and year of manufacture!

·
Registered
9,601 Posts
Don_G said:
After putting on a nominal-length string and cable set (97-11/16 and 40-15/16) according to the sticker, then timing the cam by twisting the string, I get an A2A of 38-3/8 and a BH of 6-15/16". The peak DW is 98-102 pounds, depending on whish scale I use. The DL is just over 29.5" with the SAF-BR cam (which is nominally 30").

This tells me that the A2A and BH should be 38" and 7" respectively -- but even in the face of this Mathews continues to insist that it should be 39-1/2 and 7-1/2" based on the serial number.

Tax Lawyer (or anyone else) can you tell me more about where you got your information? Or where I can get more?

Thanks!

Honestly, my information comes from memory when Mathews released the bow in 2000. I believe it is the same specs as a Q2XL. My buddy had a Safari and it would roll deer. :thumbs_up

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, Tax Lawyer.

I guess I'll give up on the specs and just shoot the blasted thing. :rolleyes:

By the way, after setting the bow up so that it maxes at 100# I can no longer pull it. Seems 85# is my limit right now if I want to take 2 dozen shots.

I've got a year to get stronger.

Thanks again,

·
Registered
9,601 Posts
Don_G said:
Thanks, Tax Lawyer.

I guess I'll give up on the specs and just shoot the blasted thing. :rolleyes:

By the way, after setting the bow up so that it maxes at 100# I can no longer pull it. Seems 85# is my limit right now if I want to take 2 dozen shots.

I've got a year to get stronger.

Thanks again,
My buddy's Safari bottomed at 110 and he pulled it like it was 60. :mg:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts