Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a SB XT on order and it is due to arrive in a week. I took the XT challenge after shooting Fred Bear for many years with no problems and this is the first year I decided to spend over $250 on a bow. Recently I have seen several if not hundreds of threads and posts concerning the cable serving wear on the XT cam and the QCCs needing altered or sanded.

Yes I know I am late in ordering my bow with season 2 weeks away. I was considering selling my Fred Bear to help finance my XT. At this time I am going to wait and see how the XT holds up and use it as a back up. This being the first year in 12 years of hunting I have decided to spend some money on a bow, this XT better hold up better than a $250 Fred Bear. I am amazed at all the common problems I am seeing posted.

There are obviously some problems with the strings and I just read a post on the Mathews forum where two of the moderators got very defensive relating to the string separation problem. I am not sure of the moderators are employees of Mathews, but I would think Mathews had to approve them being moderators. They should not get defensive, but they should react in a professional manner and look into the problem based on so many posts.

Here my thoughts..........Mathews is at a fork in the road. There are obviously some problems with the strings and qccs (at least from all the posts, I may be wrong) and the customer's opinions are starting to sway. Mathews can fix this problem now and either recall or grant credits in replacing their Zebras with a better string or re-engineer or they can get defensive about it and start to lose the following they have built up. This will be interesting to see if they make this business mistake and not fix the problem, if they don't I predict Mathews will fall from grace as a preferred bow manufacturer. Let's see what choice they make.

If I get my bow and it has the same problems (I hope to have no problems), I can guarantee I will do more than post a thread. I will contact the Federal Trade Commission and Consumer's advocates group. At first I was just going to wait until my Mathews arrived and see for myself, but the response of one of the Mathews Moderators in their forums really tee'd me off in how they are handling customer feedback, customers who spend 700+ when they can spend 250 and still harvest a deer or target shoot. For the extra 450, the moderators and techs better be more professional.

·
Premium Member
18,022 Posts
The moderators are not neccessarily Mathews employees, so unless you know for a fact that the two that upset you are in fact Mathews employees, you are doing a disservice by threatening to go to the FTC etc. Get your bow and see if you even have a problem. I own an '05 SB and I haven't had any of the problems you have detailed. I have a friend who got the same bow a couple of months before I did and he did have a string problem. Mathews replaced it for free and he is a happy camper. These posts have been out for some time, if you were worried about it, why did you order the bow? It seems to me that you are putting the cart before the horse so to speak when you don't even know if you have a problem or not.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
How can you go to the FTC after you publicly acknowledged you have purchased a product you already know has problems? Sounds like you should have purchased a different brand of bow.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I changed from another major bow manufactor to a Matthews. I had an Matthews Ultra 2 that was wicked FAST! I had a limb hit a tree limb and Matthews replaced the limb no questions ask. I give credit to my dealer. He also sells 3 other big bow companies bows. Matthews is the only one that he will go and do the reapair without an approval. The bow I just sold was a split limb bow and I had cam problems fron the word go. He loaned me a set of cams while we were waiting for the company to OK the repair. 7 weeks later they said they would OK one set of cams. They said it was not caused by normal use. BS Ishot it just like I have all the other bows I have owned. Actually that companies lack of concern has converted both of my sons to buy an XT. All of our SBXT's have been trouble free so far.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I had an XT since December last year .
The Cuda string lasted 3000 shots with no problems other than normal serving wear.
The plastic things or QCC's are an industry standard , I dont know where you come from when you threaten to take the company to the trade comission for a string set ( wear Item) or the QCC's, If you have a problem with your bow Mathesws will take care of you, period.
The QCC can break on any bow, the sanding of the back end of the QCC is no big deal and my dealer does it to every bow he sets up no matter the make.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I purchased the bow before all of the posts. And it is not a threat, I am in hopes I won't have any problems........but all these posts now make me nervous that the SB won't be up to par.........I hope I am proved wrong.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I have switchback & had bus cable serving seperation problems. I called Mathews they had my shop replace it 2 days later & Mathews said if have anymore problems that they will do what ever it takes to take care of problem. It has been a couple months since & no more problem. . I feel there is now better way they could have handled it. I am very satisfied & love my bow.

·
Registered
8,134 Posts
The stock strings seem to be hit or miss. You've either get a trouble-free set or a crapper (as it is with many manufacturers). One friend of mine has an SB and it ate the cable. Another friend has an XT and the cable is ok thus far. Who knows. Good luck.....I hope you end up with one of the good sets. :)

·
Registered
9,509 Posts
I had great results from my stock strings, no serving problems, the only reason I replaced them was they started fraying, and I wanted to get them changed while they where still in good shape to use as replacement. I agree some of the moderators over they aren't doing a good job IMHO. But your bashing Mathews before you even have your bow:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
You read all the post about the xt haven problems

Yet you go head and fire right in too it and by the bow any way

Then you tell every one how you will call the Federal Trade Commission and Consumer's advocates group.If the XT Has a Problem..

Okay sure :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,417 Posts
Good luck with your XT. I have had mine for 2 months and love it. No problem. This is my 3rd Mathews since 2001 and never a problem. There customer service is great and they have a helpful forum. As far as stating Mathews should act in a professional manner, why don't you save that statement after you get your bow and shoot it. You could have done the research before ordering. Oh, by the way, aren't you in the Insurance business? Never any customer complaints there!

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
Hey Dan,
Mathews is not going to lose customers over a set of string and cables. Last years Barracudas were crap and this years are at least 452X but only 18 strand. Bottom line is that all three Switchback models are great bows and when you put aftermarket strings/cables on them they seem to last forever (they don't but they last a long time) and the problems are gone. I just changed my 06 to Winner's Choice because the 18 strand kept giving me peep rotation and there are Vapor Trails, Bucknasty, Stone Mountain and several good string manufactures. So calm down and take a deep breath. You'll have to change them sometime anyway might as well do it now.

TEXAS

·
Banned
10,353 Posts
ridgerunner75 said:
There are obviously so

If I get my bow and it has the same problems (I hope to have no problems), I can guarantee I will do more than post a thread. I will contact the Federal Trade Commission and Consumer's advocates group.

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Oh god, please tape that conversation or post the letter you send and the response you get lol. I would assume that the FTC would have A LOT more serious things to worry about than your strings and cables lol.

"Hello, is this the FTC?"....

"Yes, how can we help you?"

"I bought a bow and the serving is separating"

"Uhhhhhhhhhh, and???????"

That would probably sum it up in a nut shell :wink:

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
i bought my SB XT secondhand and it came sith bucknasty strings, and have no problems at all with them, but i cant say a thing about the factory strings.
i have noticed some wear on the supressors and they wont last forever, the Alphashox on the Hoyts needs to be replaced soner or later to.

·
Registered
685 Posts
ok

ridgerunner I sent you a PM as I didnt want to post in the open but I basicly said the same as everyone else said.
Get it ,shoot it and then if you have a problem, you buck it up the chain, dealer, district rep, Bob Jenkins.
You can trust this if you have problem PM Bob over on the MAthews forum and he will get back to you.
I can only remember one fella that was basicly offered his choice of new Mathews(ie he had I think an Ovation)up to and including a new Prestige or same model as he had (he had a crap dealer/pro shop) after having repeated problems which actually were not Mathews fault unless they kept the dealer in the chain as it was dealer fault.
If I remember he got his money back directly from Mathews, the freebie certificate and an appology letter from Matt (not sure about the letter or the certificate, just read it but fella swore it was legit).
And again as for the string/cable giving problems ya gotta figure that if someone designs a new bow they gotta have strings. So after someone shoots them 500 shots and have problems and get them warrantied ya gotta figure the company is looking into fixing the problems.
According to a friend who had a set of Winners Choice actually break and trash his bow limb(s), bow dealer(not sure of brand)/manufacturer replaced the broken damaged parts and string/cable,,, and had same problem almost happened again(WC's were coming apart)so dealer actually had a set of I believe Bucknasty's strings/cable and put them on and had absolutley no problems.
OH and I have heard that a few different string/cable manufacturers have had QCC problems due to minor machineing imperfections.
Heck my bow was new and heard the grip squeak and my dealer poped it off and stuck it back on with cheap clear household silicone and no more squeak and the secondary serial number tag is still intact.
Again good luck and good shooting.
Lee

·
Registered
727 Posts
mathews

mathews stands behind the products beyond 100%. ask any dealer who has honestly dealt with them. not that they do not have issues from time to time , but i believe it has been well documented on this site how the treat their customers. do not be concerned about your new bow, if it has problems they will be handled . until then get outside and shoot it because season is upon us.....and good luck.........tim

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Lol!!!!

Everyone that knows anything about anything! Knows that Matthews strings, and cables have sucked sinse they made their first bow!!! That has not stopped them from being on top yet!! God knows why?? Cause I sure don't! It is pretty sad, that you can spend from 650.00-1200.00, and you gotta sand here, replace strings, and cables there!! Before you can even shoot the bow!!! You could chance the strings, and cables?? But based on their reputation, it would be a definate gamble!! Would this many people be so forgiving of a fine Weatherby rifle?? I doubt it!! So tell me why???

1 - 20 of 49 Posts