Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to put 80 pou d wake limbs on a traverse. I'm not able to rifle hunt and I'm looking into getting into big game hunting. Dont really know what I'm doing but I've seen people put different limbs on mathews bows and it works fine.

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
If your just starting bow hunting, stay away from pulling heavy bows. You can really mess yourself up for a long time.
You should be able to shoot comfortably for a while before you get tired, not 2-3 shots.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I’ve seen that too, not in person but YouTube. Even the guy on YouTube says “This WILL void your warranty!” Lol So that would be my thought- not JUST the warranty issue but the greater question of will the riser & cams take the punishment over the long haul? Or are you building a time bomb that will blow up in your hands 12 months down the road? Just not sure, as I do not know anyone over at Mathews that can confirm they build components to withstand 80-90-100 lbs. draw weight, but they limit sales to 70lbs bows as a margin of safety factor? I have no idea. On the other hand maybe there’s a good reason they’ll only go to 70lbs..... because other components are specifically and strictly engineered for just that. I can’t answer that definitively but those are clearly where my concerns are when I see these Frankenstein bows built!

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
I shot 80# 1985-2003. Now I'm shooting under 60#. I bet the bow I have now shoots faster than the 80# bow I had in 1995.

Starting archery at 80# on a frankenbow is foolish. You should learn how to shoot accurately first. I fast miss is still a miss.

You say you don't know what you are doing. Then why do you want to build your own bow???? If you can get the limbs to fit, do you have the ability to determine the new string/cable lengths, strand count and then build them??? Why not get a bow made by actual bow designers with decades of experience????

After all that....I hope you are not just trying to get 20 posts to sell a bow.

EVERY animal in North America can be easily killed with an under 60# bow.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Just buy a traverse. One of the best bows out there. Learn to shoot it. Have fun and gone kill some stuff. End of story

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Full Time Novice
7,342 Posts
I’ve seen that too, not in person but YouTube. Even the guy on YouTube says “This WILL void your warranty!” Lol So that would be my thought- not JUST the warranty issue but the greater question of will the riser & cams take the punishment over the long haul? Or are you building a time bomb that will blow up in your hands 12 months down the road? Just not sure, as I do not know anyone over at Mathews that can confirm they build components to withstand 80-90-100 lbs. draw weight, but they limit sales to 70lbs bows as a margin of safety factor? I have no idea. On the other hand maybe there’s a good reason they’ll only go to 70lbs..... because other components are specifically and strictly engineered for just that. I can’t answer that definitively but those are clearly where my concerns are when I see these Frankenstein bows built!
My guess is sales wouldn’t be big enough to keep limbs in stock. They can handle 100# bow. If any system can it’s Mathews. Cams are beefy so are the axles along with the riser and pockets.

I haven’t built several for years now

I shot 80# 1985-2003. Now I'm shooting under 60#. I bet the bow I have now shoots faster than the 80# bow I had in 1995.

Starting archery at 80# on a frankenbow is foolish. You should learn how to shoot accurately first. I fast miss is still a miss.

You say you don't know what you are doing. Then why do you want to build your own bow???? If you can get the limbs to fit, do you have the ability to determine the new string/cable lengths, strand count and then build them??? Why not get a bow made by actual bow designers with decades of experience????

After all that....I hope you are not just trying to get 20 posts to sell a bow.

EVERY animal in North America can be easily killed with an under 60# bow.
He said it 60# is all that’s needed. Definitely wouldn’t be the smartest thing to do(start off with 80#)

Just buy a traverse. One of the best bows out there. Learn to shoot it. Have fun and gone kill some stuff. End of story

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk
Yep that’s what I say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
62 Posts
Follow up to this... Mathews offers the Monster Safari up to 85# ... if you look at it, almost everything is engineered differently. The riser, the cams, the yoke, the cable guard, string stops, etc. I’m thinking there’s a reason for all that. And I would not imagine it’s just to sell another bow model- it’s msrp is $2100 so I would guess they don’t sell many. It would be much easier for them to slap on a stout set of limbs on any of the platforms, crank up to 80#, and let it rip. Again, my guess is They don’t do that for a good reason.

https://www.mathewsinc.com/product/monster-safari/

·
Registered
11,502 Posts
Follow up to this... Mathews offers the Monster Safari up to 85# ... if you look at it, almost everything is engineered differently. The riser, the cams, the yoke, the cable guard, string stops, etc. I’m thinking there’s a reason for all that. And I would not imagine it’s just to sell another bow model- it’s msrp is $2100 so I would guess they don’t sell many. It would be much easier for them to slap on a stout set of limbs on any of the platforms, crank up to 80#, and let it rip. Again, my guess is They don’t do that for a good reason.

https://www.mathewsinc.com/product/monster-safari/

Look back at the monster line.. they were offered in 80# and would commonly max above 85# The monster riser was a limp noodle compared to the traverse riser and had no issues. I agree with ravinhood, just not much of a market for them.

Sent from my SM-G532M using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts