Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon everyone!

I'm at a loss and could really use some assistance. I currently shoot the following:
- Mathews TRIAX @ 70lbs
- 27.5inc draw length
- QAD Drop-away rest
-Spothogg Fast Eddy single-pin
- Victory Xtorsion 5mm, 300spline arrows w/ broadhead adapter outserts and 100g field point (Total arrow weight: 540g)

So i live in south Florida and the number of places that do proper tuning and bowhunting expertise is limited (so are places to shoot out to 60yards!). I went to a local archery shop and everything seemed off when shooting. I took it a shop much further away and the knowledge and expertise was FAR better!

The bow is only used for hunting. It was tuned and I needed new arrows. I went with heavier arrows (Victory Xtorsion 300 spline - 12.9gpi). I shot a few arrows and it was super quiet, however the arrows were about 3 inches longer than my old arrows. I left and everything seemed pretty good.

HERES THE PROBLEM...

I know speed isn't everything... however the arrows chrono'd at 246fps. Me being a novice, i didn't think much of it. As i spoke with other people, they all said that thats SUPER slow for a Mathews TRIAX especially when hunting whitetail. They cited that due to the less forgiving nature of a heavy arrow (rate of drop), along with arrow-jump from the deer, and POTENTIAL issues with broadhead tuning, that perhaps the a 450-480g arrow would provide a heavy arrow with better speed and tuning ability...

I'm at a loss... everywhere i turn, i get conflicting information. Some people are big on lots of weight and FOC... meanwhile others say lighter and faster is better (within reason, obviously). So now i am coming to you and begging for some guidance. I like the Victory 5mm Xtorsion arrows, and i'd be happy to stick with a weight of 450plus... i just think 246fps is super slow for the bow i have.

If anyone can PLEASE advise, i'd really appreciate it. I am going to go back to the archery shop and need to have it figured out so i can get everything dialed in before a hunting trip in late November.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I am not a compound bow tuning expert by any means, but it sounds like I would start with those extra 3 inches on your new arrows. You should have no problem shooting a heavier arrow at 70lbs.

·
Registered
Bowtech Realm X and PSE Inertia 50lbs
3,797 Posts
How far do you plan on shooting a deer?
If beyond 40 yards, drop may be an issue but not if you practice out that far, a lot.

540gr at 245fps will blow through any Florida deer and half way thru a Palm tree, but the bow will be quiet, so no need to worry about the deer jumping the string.

They are 12.9 gr per inch, so you could cut off that 3 inches and drop 40 grs and pick up a few fps. and you probably will not be ble to tell the noise difference if there is any.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
It's all in personal preference. Some guys love heavy setups, some guys love light setups. Some guys prefer blondes, some guys chase redheads. Well you get the idea. For me when i shot 70# i ran arrows setup about 440 grains. You dont have to have a super heavy arrow to have very good FOC. The problem with Xtorsions or FMJs and similar arrows is the weight is in the shaft itself, instead of being at the front. If you go with a lighter GPI all carbon shaft you can add more weight at the insert instead of over the length of the shaft. I like 5mm Easton Axis, Victory RIP and Black Eagle Renegade or Rampage. All those shafts can be put together with heavy inserts and would finish with higher FOC and under the weight you are shooting now. Again it's all in what you like though. Your rig set up how it is will kill deer all day long.

·
Ad Meliora
16,819 Posts
So you have a quiet, tuned bow from a shop that seems to know what they are doing. You then decide to listen to someone else?

I concur with other posters...if you feel like you have to do something, shorten arrows. But why not shoot broadheads first to see if they are flying good? And if they are why not leave well enough alone? So you might have a slightly larger pin gap, but does it REALLY matter? NO.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
First

Get arrows that are the correct length
I cut mine so that at full draw there’s no more than an inch past my drop away

Second how do you even know the chronograph is accurate?

3rd. What’s your actual draw weight?

Lastly if you’ve spent all this money plus a hunting trip why not get arrows you want?
A good hinting arrow with 50 grain brass inserts with 100 grain broadhead is fine

·
Registered
592 Posts
I'd go back to the bow shop and shoot the new bows out and find one that I liked. Then I'd shoot it through the chrono and check the speed with the arrows you're gonna shoot and trade in yours. Certain things are important to certain people so get what you want. Then you'll know and be happy.
By posting you already don't have confidence in your setup...start over IMO.

·
Registered
7,884 Posts
The heavy vs light debate will be just as varied on here as anywhere else. Bottom line is some have harvested deer with all different kinds of setups and weights. There is no right or wrong either way. There are advantages and imo a heavy arrow has more advantages but there again is the debate.

If it was me and my bow was accurate with your broadhead of choice and you are confident with it, then shoot it. I will say being in Florida if a hog walks by, that set up will be lethal on hogs for sure.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I’ll give you $200 for the TRIAX bare bow so you can get yourself what you really want. I’d hate for you not to be confident or happy with the equipment you are using.

·
Registered
9,004 Posts
Good afternoon everyone!

I'm at a loss and could really use some assistance. I currently shoot the following:
- Mathews TRIAX @ 70lbs
- 27.5inc draw length
- QAD Drop-away rest
- Victory Xtorsion 5mm, 300spline arrows w/ broadhead adapter outserts and 100g field point (Total arrow weight: 540g)

I shot a few arrows and it was super quiet, however the arrows were about 3 inches longer than my old arrows.
If you shorten your arrows 3 inches the weight will be around 501 grains and speed will be around 258 fps....which is not bad for a 501 grain arrow...which is an IBO speed of about 334, which is not bad.

Backcountry Bowhunting Archery Calculator.....http://backcountrybowhunting.com/calculator/

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
You are only going to get so much speed with a 27.5" draw and you are shooting fairly heavy arrows. Your arrows could be cut a little shorter but don't have to be if broad heads fly good.

You have to decide whether you want to shoot heavy arrows or a medium weight. For deer, an arrow 440-450 grains is a good blend of weight and speed. If you are stand hunting with a range finder the heavy arrow isn't a bad option. I killed a lot of deer with a 500+ grain arrow at 227 fps with my old bow.

You won't ever shoot Ibo speed with a short draw, don't get too hung up on speed. I have a 27" draw so I completely understand the draw length limitations. Here are my setups to give you an idea: Darton 3800 66#@27", 450 gr. Arrow, approx 265fps. (340-350 Ibo bow). Mission ballistic 70#@27", 480 gr. Arrow, 251fps. (330 Ibo bow). You aren't doing too bad with 500+ grain arrow @246fps.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
I have the same setup as you in terms of bow.

Triax at 70#
27.5" DL
Hamskea Hybrid Hunter Pro
MBG Ascent Verdict Assualt

Only difference is that I am shooting 27.5" Easton Hexx 330 with 50g inserts and a 125g Ironwill broadhead with Glory Nocks totaling 428g. My speed is around 280fps based off chrono and my MBG calibrated tape for my sight. Unless you are shooting 50+ yard shots on deer, your speed is fine (more than fine actually). If your bow is comfortable for you to shoot and accurate in YOUR hands then your bow and arrow will do its job.

Note: As others have said, get your arrows cut. You invested a lot into your bow and accessories. Don't cheap out leaving your arrows too long.

·
Huntoholic
1,521 Posts
I'm at a loss... everywhere i turn, i get conflicting information.
And you expect any different here?

Sorry just couldn't resist, 246fps with a 540 grain arrow and a 27.5 DL is not super slow, I would think that's close to on the mark for the Triax, don't get suckered in by advertising numbers, plus if you do the math, shooting 246 at a deer 30 yards away, the arrow will be through him in under one second.

How long are your arrows? They should be about one inch shorter than your DL or 1" to 1.5" in front of your rest, if the info you gave is correct, it sounds like you have a super long arrow. Check your draw weight with a good scale, just because it's supposed to be 70 doesn't mean it is, also weigh your arrows, don't calculate if you want solid info.

I shoot a 27" 410 grain finished arrow, 28" DL at 64 lbs and I shoot 275 fps chronographed, I have shot this same set-up off of four different model Mathews bows Z7, Heli-m, Triax, and Vertix and they all shot within one or two fps of 275.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Good afternoon everyone!

- Mathews TRIAX @ 70lbs
- 27.5inc draw length
- QAD Drop-away rest

So i live in south Florida and the number of places that do proper tuning and bowhunting expertise is limited (so are places to shoot out to 60yards!). I went to a local archery shop and everything seemed off when shooting. I took it a shop much further away and the knowledge and expertise was FAR better!

The bow is only used for hunting. It was tuned and I needed new arrows. I went with heavier arrows (Victory Xtorsion 300 spline - 12.9gpi). I shot a few arrows and it was super quiet, however the arrows were about 3 inches longer than my old arrows. I left and everything seemed pretty good.

HERES THE PROBLEM...

I know speed isn't everything... however the arrows chrono'd at 246fps. Me being a novice, i didn't think much of it. As i spoke with other people, they all said that thats SUPER slow for a Mathews TRIAX especially when hunting whitetail. They cited that due to the less forgiving nature of a heavy arrow (rate of drop), along with arrow-jump from the deer, and POTENTIAL issues with broadhead tuning, that perhaps the a 450-480g arrow would provide a heavy arrow with better speed and tuning ability...

I'm at a loss... everywhere i turn, i get conflicting information. Some people are big on lots of weight and FOC... meanwhile others say lighter and faster is better (within reason, obviously). So now i am coming to you and begging for some guidance. I like the Victory 5mm Xtorsion arrows, and i'd be happy to stick with a weight of 450plus... i just think 246fps is super slow for the bow i have.

If anyone can PLEASE advise, i'd really appreciate it. I am going to go back to the archery shop and need to have it figured out so i can get everything dialed in before a hunting trip in late November.
You have a shorter draw length. 10 fps/inch under 30" DL. (and Mathews usually run long) So, if IBO on a Triax is, say 340, you just lost 25.5 fps, right off the bat.
Not to mention, your arrows probably weigh close to double what an IBO arrow weighs.

Without running the calculations or asking for more details or looking anything up, those speeds sound about right to me.

All I have to wonder (and yes, there are guys here who will disagree with me on this) is WTH are you doing shooting arrows that heavy at twitchy little Florida deer? Get some lighter arrows OMG!

It's seriously so unnecessary unless you're shooting really ridiculous wide cutting mechanical broadheads and/or taking shots at deer at really sktechy angles (like quartering at, straight on, etc) or thru a palm tree, build some arrows to a Total Arrow Weight (TAW) of 350 to 400 GRAIN (GRAIN, not necessarily SPINE) and be done with it! You will have a much flatter shooting bow and should be able to achieve speeds in the ballpark of 300+fps! Huge difference in trajectory, which is what I would prioritize since deer there are pretty lil; not so much to aim at or have to power through. Choose a well designed mechanical head (or a fixed blade, that's fine too if you can get them to fly right) and be done.

Your setup, would probably be great for something like ELK or CAPE BUFFS with the right broadhead on there; but I think it's overkill in the wrong way for the quarry you're likely to be hunting.

The people saying lots of weight needed are either hunting animals that are the size of an entire HERD of florida deer, or they are trad guys/Ashby fanboys who need or think they need heavier arrows for different reasons.

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
It’s a personal choice. You can go light (400 grains) and pick up speed or stay where you’re at. Personally, I’d shoot something in the mid 400s and let the speed fall where it may.

I have a 28” dL and pull 62lbs. My arrow weighs 462 grains. Not sure if it’s correct as I haven’t shot it through a chrono but my sight tape shows 270.

·
Registered
908 Posts
My grandson is shooting a 298 gr arrow total weight 24 inch draw weight and he is only going 190fps, shoots a 100gr fixed head. he was worried about speed so I cranked his bow up after 2 shots decided he liked less poundage and consistent groups. He is limited to 20 yards for hunting since that is his ability at this point he is 12 years old and will be hunting tomorrow for the first time. Proper arrow weight and length is critical.
Cut 3 inches off the arrows dial it in and hunt.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts