Archery Talk Forum banner

Mathews Triumph for 3d?

1120 7
I am thinking about a used Triumph for a 3d bow. I am aware of the limb pocket issue with the early 2010 bows. Are owners generally happy with the accuracy and overall performance of the bow for a target/3d bow? There seems to be a lot of them for sale and it makes me wonder why
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
181 Posts
The limb pocket issue I think was the major downfall of this bow; nobody expects a $1299 msrp bow to have accuracy problems due to a stupid problem. After much investigating and talking to a Mathews warranty rep, I have concluded that the whole fix is simply tighter fitting nylon (plastic?) spacers. I got a killer deal on mine, and now that I finally have it set up right (the 80% cam does, as many people have stated, seem to run about a half inch long because I shoot 29" 0n my Z7's and need to shoot 28.5 on the Triumph), I really like it. It holds really well, and I can move my QAD ULTRA rest a noticeable amount either direction and still get perfect bullet holes so good arrow flight is easy to achieve. It's smooth, has very little shock, and is plenty fast. Good luck!

· Registered
707 Posts
I have just got 2 set up for 3D and they hold tight groups out to 60 yards. One with 65% and one with 80% (The 80% is a little long). They are a great set up for 3D--I am used to shooting a big apex and that is saying a lot about a triumph--Get one, you will like it---KP---

· Registered
502 Posts
I alot of people just like trying different bows, they shoot one for a little while and make a quick decision and then get another one, I have had 3 triumphs and they shoot great, and didn't have a limb pocket issue with any one of them. The main problem I had with the triumph was me, lol it done its job.

· Registered
843 Posts
I owned one and sold it for a couple reasons. First I will tell you that it is a great feeling bow. It holds very steady and shoots extremely well.

My reasons for selling it was, I am a 27" DL and a fairly short guy 5'7". I am still building the proper muscles to shoot better and hold the bow steadier. I found with the weight of the stabs on this bow to keep it balanced the bow and stabs weighed too much for me to hold it steady. I am trying a couple other target bows right now at lighter weights too see if it makes a difference.

Second reason is due to the fact that I paid $1,200 for this bow and bought it when they first came out. So yes I did have a limb pocket issue and it would cause me to shoot very erratically and inconsistent. One day it would group well and the next few days it wouldn't group at all. The MAJOR issue I have with this is that Mathews didn't do a recall at all. When I told my dealer what was happening they sent an email to Mathews and they denied any issues at first. So I took the bow back home and tried some more. It wasn't until I spoke to a few pro shooters on this forum that I got Mathews to finally send my dealer some new limb pockets. At this time I felt a little disappointed in Mathews for not standing up and facing this issue head on. I lost a lot of faith in them. This is my opinion.

If you can buy one in the classifieds I highly recommend it. They are really a great shooting bow if you can hold all the weight. To me it seems there is a lot of people that want to try target bows then they don't like them and sell them for fairly cheap. The Triumph is no different in price then the big Hoyt target bows. You can pick them both up for $600 to $800 for a couple months old bow. I just bought two Hoyt target bows and one is a 2009 (Paid $600) and the other was 3 months old (paid $800). Where I live these bows would cost me almost $1,500 each.

· Registered
3,462 Posts
My Triumph tunes great but I still think I shoot my c-4 better. Shot with a good shooter that I've known for several years. He claims his triumph is the best grouping bow hes ever owned. to be fair, I've always been biased to the conquest. and apex-8

· EPLC Stabilization 4-Sale
9,879 Posts
I have just got 2 set up for 3D and they hold tight groups out to 60 yards. One with 65% and one with 80% (The 80% is a little long). They are a great set up for 3D--I am used to shooting a big apex and that is saying a lot about a triumph--Get one, you will like it---KP---
I have a Triumph and find it to be a very good 3d bow, good speed, holds well and hits what I point it at. The bow does have a different feel than other Mathews bows and took me a while to get used to it. The bow likes a hard pull against the wall and nothing else. If you baby your shot this bow won't shoot worth a crap. As mentioned, the 80% cams run about 1/2" long while the 65% do not, so keep this in mind when looking for a bow. Also, the 65% cams have zero valley so be prepared if you go the 65% route. The limb pocket liner is a non-issue. Mathews sent me the update liners for free and mine is a used bow. As it turns out I already had the updated liners.

· Registered
4,159 Posts
I shoot a tirumph for spots and absolutely love it. I didnt get a chance to shoot any 3d with it last summer but that is going to be my bow of choice I think this year for 3d. great shooting bow very forgiving. would highly recomend it!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.