I have had the opportunity to shoot the Mathews V3 31 for months to prepare for this long-term review video, which is embedded below. And while it looks similar to recent Mathews bows, it has a few notable differences.

First, let’s start with the specs. The V3 31, as the name implies, has an axle-to-axle length of 31 inches, a brace height of 6 inches, and an IBO rated speed of 342 feet per second. MSRP for the V3 31 (and the shorter V3 27) is $1100. My bow came with the 85% let-off mods, though 80% mods are available.

Among the new features on the V3 31 is an extended bridge riser. In fact, Mathews says it is their longest riser to ATA ratio ever. To be fair, last year’s VXR and 2019’s Vertix also have very long risers, so don’t expect a massive difference for the shooter. This is an incremental change…but ultimately one that should make an already stable platform even more stable.

Perhaps the most noticeable change on the V3 lineup is the new centerguard cable containment system. Rather that come out at 90 degrees like other cable guard bars, the centerguard is angles down so that the rollers is smack dab in the middle of the bow. Mathews says this helps provide optimal cam timing. While I can say I didn’t have any trouble getting the V3 tuned up easily, this was not really an issue for me on other Mathews bows. I’m not sure that it was intentional, but one thing I like about this design is that I started out with my nocking point right in the middle of the centerguard and never had to move it.

Finally, Mathews outfitted the V3 with a new Nano 740 dampener for even better vibration control. More on that in a minute.

Now let’s get to the actual review – and draw cycle seems as good a place as any to start. What I found here actually surprised me a little. The past few years I’ve found Mathews bows to draw a little stiff, but absolutely smooth with almost no noticeable dump into the valley. This year felt like the opposite. The draw felt incredibly light – to the point that I broke out my draw weight scale many times to make sure it was actually coming in at 70 pounds. I also noticed a distinct drop into the valley before hitting the wall. Nothing outrageous like some speed bows, but definitely a departure from the VXR and Vertix. The result is a bow I feel like I can shoot all day long, but not as smooth as I’ve been accustomed to.

Once you get to full draw, cable stops put the brakes on things. I have always loved how Mathews bows hit the wall, providing just a hint of give, which I prefer. It is in no way spongy, but it’s not as harsh as limb stops.

Things continue to shine at full draw when it comes to hold. The V3 31 and I are getting along very well here. This thing just flat out holds on target. I like the way it feels so much that I don’t typically shoot a stabilizer with this bow…and I definitely wouldn’t bother to take one into the woods with me. Maybe if I was a western hunter who had to take potentially long shots, but certainly not in the thick woods where I have a chance to hunt in Ontario, Canada.

But where the V3 31 really stands out from the crowd is after the shot. This thing is freakishly quiet. It doesn’t even make sense. And I can’t say as I’ve ever noticed any vibration. I’m sure it’s there, but it doesn’t translate into anything noticeable…at least to me.

A bow review wouldn’t be a bow review without a speed test, so I ran the V3 31 through the chronograph with a 350-grain arrow and a 477-grain arrow. The lighter arrow clocked in at 328 feet per second, while the heavier arrow was 285 feet per second.

Fit and finish on the V3 31 is typically Matthews. I am a fan of the Green Ambush paint and the long-riser design. To my eye, there are no visible flaws and the string and cables are holding up great.