Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I'm buying a press and in the mean time am doing research on tuning. One of the first things I want to fix is my peep rotation. It's turned 45° to the right of the string. I've read putting twists in the string changes draw weight, timing, etc so how do I fix it without altering the bow?

·
Registered
A Big Knife and a Sharp Spear
5,083 Posts
Twisting the string changes the DW hardly if at all. 2 things regarding twist in string or cables that changes DL. Your string will change it noticeably. For micro DL twist in cables. Now, most of us can’t hardly feel that difference because it’s so small via cables. You’re DL will change but it not critical enough on a hunting rig as it is on a target rig.

Last month I was in an ASA qualifier here in Southern Illinois just before the ASA metropolis event. In the middle of the ASA qualifier, I noticed that my shots were shooting right 2 to 3 inches for the next 3-4 targets. It just so happens that the group behind me one of the shooters is the Illinois ASA Director. Listening to my complaints He told me look at your string. I looked down and my peep had rotated to the left 45°, it definitely wasn’t that way during warm-up before I started to shoot the qualifier. He said that your string is totally shot. ( I knew I needed a new set after Metropolis, but didn’t want to touch it until afterwards) at times a string will just give out like that and that’s what it did. So I ordered a pinnacle string & cable set and the problem was solved and had to reset everything before Metropolis
Or, if this is a brand new string on a brand new bow that you just bought then there’s no reason if you started out with the peep correct that it rotated drastically 45°.
You can safely rotate the peep by +/- twist without effecting DW. Usually with most bow 3-4 complete rotation of the sting will give you 1 rotation of the peep. So if your off 1/4 of a perp rotation, then I bet 1.5 twist will put you back without any DW/DL issues.
This isn’t my opinion. It’s a fact.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So, if i turn the top 1.5 turns (of the loop that goes on the cam, correct?) then i do 1.5 turn the opposite direction on the bottom cam and all is fine and dandy?

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
Always turn the bottom cable. If in fact your 1/4 out, turn the opposite direction of the peep 1.5 to start. That should do it with out effecting anything you’ll be able to notice.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So if I go 1.5 turns counter clockwise, wouldn't I be unwinding the string? Or do I twist it the way the string was twisted when built and it will bring the peep around?

Why don't you twist the top or twist both? Just trying to learn :)

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
I didn’t tell you to turn it counter clockwise. Turn it opposite of the peep. i.e. If peep is too far left, twist string right.
The peep is closer to the top. Twisting the top will turn the peep faster/too much. The bottom since peep is farther, turns are more slight.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The shop put the peep in the wrong spot so while I wait for serving string I moved it. It turned to be straight or close to it. I'll shoot it a bit and see if it settles in to stay straight

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey guys. I'm buying a press and in the mean time am doing research on tuning. One of the first things I want to fix is my peep rotation. It's turned 45° to the right of the string. I've read putting twists in the string changes draw weight, timing, etc so how do I fix it without altering the bow?
Gas strings are worth the money

1 - 8 of 8 Posts