Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a Mathews Vertix Bare Bow. I love the way the Mathews Flatline looks on the Mathews Bows, but its crazy expensive for someone like me who really over extended on bow choice. I wanted a truly Good Bow System and I intend to sacrifice in the accessories. The Axion Stabilizers look almost identical to the Mathews Flatline and a lot cheaper. But for the most part you don't see a lot of Flatlines or Axions actually used out in the fields. Rn I have a Trophy Ridge Static Stabilizer. That's what will be thrown on it when I receive the bow, but I was wondering what you all recommended. Is the Axion any good compared to the Mathews Flatline? and What are some of your recommendations?

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
I used Axion stabilizers for a few years and they worked just fine; as stated, it comes down to personal preference. Some folks like to keep it all in the family so they go with Mathews, but from a performance and human perception of feel, I doubt you could distinguish between the many options if you were shooting blindfolded.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don’t even know what I’m supposed to look for a stabilizer to do. Is the bow supposed to fall forward after shooting? I see a lot of people do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I used Axion stabilizers for a few years and they worked just fine; as stated, it comes down to personal preference. Some folks like to keep it all in the family so they go with Mathews, but from a performance and human perception of feel, I doubt you could distinguish between the many options if you were shooting blindfolded.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I’d honestly say shoot it first. Then figure out if it’s wobbly In Your hand and causing you to have big groups.

I spent $125 on a stab from the dealer, then $20 for another from someone here. The $20 one works but looks ugly’ish (it’s tan and my bow isn’t) over the $125 stab I have that looks amazing but is over kill as honestly I hold Mathews much better than I held
My Hoyt and almost don’t need it for a VXR

Read up on what a stab is for, then shoot you bow and see if you actually need it, or if your just dressing it up to add weight and look good on the pics thread.

·
Registered
448 Posts
point it and see. your bow won't be loud like some others out there, provided it's in tune and bolts are tight. that leaves stability when holding. the expensive stab won't do that much better than the cheap one. the wickstix is light at the rizer and gets the weight out away from the bow. they have a nice quick disconnect available and you can get a combo with a back bar if you'd like. i prefer their micro hunter, fwiw.

·
Registered
345 Posts
They are not worth it. Check out shrewd and axion along with most others. I’ve had the flatlines. Axion. And shrewd. Settled on shrewd. They are a lot cheaper and just as good.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I just got one.. sure looks good on my vertix...and it actually did quiet things down a bit more...maybe not 130$ more but hell with it. I bought it anyway

·
Registered
Right Turn Clyde
359 Posts
I don’t even know what I’m supposed to look for a stabilizer to do. Is the bow supposed to fall forward after shooting? I see a lot of people do that.

The main thing that stabs do is decrease the amount of pin float you have, I run a bunch of weight on my hunting bow (more than most) and even more on target. My hunting set up is a 12 inch out front with 6oz and 10inch on a V-bar with 11oz out back. The back bar balances the bow and helps it hold side to side a bit better, the weight out front helps decrease the pin float on target. A bow that is not over squeezed will tend to fall forward after a shot and typically is a good sign that you aren't over gripping/torquing the bow.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The main thing that stabs do is decrease the amount of pin float you have, I run a bunch of weight on my hunting bow (more than most) and even more on target. My hunting set up is a 12 inch out front with 6oz and 10inch on a V-bar with 11oz out back. The back bar balances the bow and helps it hold side to side a bit better, the weight out front helps decrease the pin float on target. A bow that is not over squeezed will tend to fall forward after a shot and typically is a good sign that you aren't over gripping/torquing the bow.
My old bow never wanted to fall forward and I had a ton of pin float. This vertix that I got has good weight to it and falls forward pretty easy. I don’t know about pin float yet. I feel like I’ll be able to keep just a small one.

·
Registered
Right Turn Clyde
359 Posts
My old bow never wanted to fall forward and I had a ton of pin float. This vertix that I got has good weight to it and falls forward pretty easy. I don’t know about pin float yet. I feel like I’ll be able to keep just a small one.

Typically the more weight you add with sight and stabs etc, the more the bow wants to fall forward. (unless you counter balance it) Mathews, at least the last several bows, have been extremely well balanced out of the box with just a touch of top heaviness that results in a slight fall forward after the shot with a bare bow. The Vertix is an extremely good bow, good luck with your set up.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts