Archery Talk Forum banner

mathews or hoyt you choose

61 - 80 of 80 Posts

· Registered
228 Posts
As the avatar shows I prefer Hoyt. My friends all shoot Matthews and I probably would have bought one but didn't for the fact they were advertised way too much in the hunting magazines. The bows shoot great and they have a great warranty but I couldn't get past all the advertisements. I owned a Hoyt a long time ago,but the grip was to large for me. What I did like is I had vibration in one of the limbs and they took care of that problem quickly. To be fair to Matthews,I shot the new Z7 and would switch over and buy it in a heartbeat if it weren't so short as it was an exceptional shooting bow. My comments are opinionated more than tested although I prefer the grips Hoyt has now over the Mathews. Shooting a bow contains a certain mindset and mentally whichever bow you think you will shoot the best with is the bow you will buy. Some bows are built better than others, but most people will never shoot the bow best suited for them as they ,as I am are opinionated. Thats what keep posts like this going. Sorry if I rambled, but thats my 2 cents.

· Now Older than Dirt
785 Posts
I chose a Hoyt over Mathews for couple of reasons,
1. the grip fits my hand perfect nut I have smaller hands than some
2. I seem to play around with draw length with any new bow was nice
to be able to remove 2 srews rotate module and I'm fit. With mathews go to shop get new cam hope new cam fits better.
3. Finish on Hoyt I shoot my bow constantly since 2006 not one bit of evidence of paint wear in front of grip. Miost Mathews of same usage and wear tend to show paint wear through in that area.
4. still shooting the original fuse strings although they will be replaced shortly as after 3 years they have finally lengthened even so peep still lines up perfectly I rotate my module and am still shooting.
5. I do not particularly care for the single cam draw curve have always preferred 2 cam.
6. The bow could probably get run over by a tank and still put arrows where they belong.

I am not saying the above couldn't have happened with a mathews and if I found a Mathews bow I really liked I could see myself shooting it. Just hard when I have had absolutely 0 zilch issues with my Ultratec except I'm sick of ruining my arrows via robin hoods to not hold Hoyt in very high regard and make it my first choice when looking for a new bow based on my personal experience with them.

· Registered
234 Posts
Being disabled, I need a lightweight bow with a short draw length, so I went with Mathews. Hoyt only has kids bows in this nitch, except for the 1600 carbon matrix.
Don't forget about the Vicxen. Other than having pink accents, it's a great bow. My dad was very sick for a while and is getting back to the bow instead of the Xbow. He loves his, but I did have to switch to a wooden grip. He refused to leave the pink deerhead on there, lol. By the way, I'd shoot a HOYT. I have had one for the last 20 years. BUt it's just due to experience with the company. I'd buy a Mathews if I wasn't on a budget, just to try it out.

· Registered
1,507 Posts
Hoyt

I voted Hoyt why you ask ?
Because I shoot one and they are just plain out the best imo
have i shoot a Mattews yeaa..did i like it no
not bashin anyone or anything thats just imo

· Registered
854 Posts
Mathews here. I like single cam technology and dislike split limbs. I guess on the plus side, they are wide enough to paddle your boat should you ever need it.

Probably comes from starting in archery a long time ago and none of the recurves I shot had split limbs.:thumbs_do

· Registered
3,521 Posts
both are great

I shoot a Mathews LX but would of bought a Hoyt Katera xl. I found a great deal on the LX so I bought it. I also have had two PSE bows and would buy another one in a heart beat. We live in an age where there are many great bows and bow companies. So I say buy a bow and start shooting.

· Banned
38 Posts
I believe a better project is finding which 2 leading brands is more popular by state and then cross reference those states IQ data with the other 50 and you will find some interesting corrolations with Mathews having the strongest market share in the states with the lowest IQ averages.
I am positive my hypothesis is correct. Good Luck.

· Registered
6,098 Posts
I believe a better project is finding which 2 leading brands is more popular by state and then cross reference those states IQ data with the other 50 and you will find some interesting corrolations with Mathews having the strongest market share in the states with the lowest IQ averages.
I am positive my hypothesis is correct. Good Luck.
If you got 1 state then how do you add the 50 other, thats 51 haha just kidding I understand what your saying, good idea. Might be worth a try

· Registered
1,957 Posts
I shoot a PSE, but if I were to chose between Mathews and Hoyt I would pick Mathews, based solely on speed. Mathews puts out faster bows, and I have short arms, so the higher IBO means faster arrows at short draw.
My next bow will be a choice between the two as they are the two main companies over here, if Hoyt put out a bow that is up there with the Mathews and PSE speeds, then I'll seriously consider it, as hunting around here is pretty hard on bows (limestone country, consists of climbing around rocks, bluffs and thick bush) and Hoyt seem to be a tougher bow.

· SuperToon'd
12,325 Posts
I chose Mathews because that's what I shoot and they fit me better than any other bow I've shot. Hoyt makes a great bow as well but I like what Matt McPhearson stands for and the reputation of his company. They have outstanding customer service and I believe they give back to the archery community better than any other company, period. The 'NASP' has got to be one of the greatest things for school children to participate in. I sure wish I would have had the opprotunity to be involved with a sport like that when I was in school. Some think Mathews is just a name on a bow but for some of us we know it goes alot deeper than that. Mathews is something alot of people choose to be apart of not only because of the top quality bows they produce but because of their integrity to the sport of archery and bowhunting. I know aslong as Mr. McPhearson is around we will always have someone looking out for future generations of archers everywhere........:wink:

· Registered
2,866 Posts
What no Martin?

MARTIN

LOL, I think one of the original responders had it right. These things always end badly and all over some silly metal & plastic :lol:

· Registered
827 Posts
I choose Mathews because i think that they have put out more top level bows then Hoyt IMO hoyt has only made 3 bows I've liked maxxis ,alpamax and katera. plus when they both got into the speed game mathews made nice additions to their line up and Hoyt made the worst bow they ever made.

· Registered
13,316 Posts
Hoyt for me

I have also shot and owned both bows, great quality on both but I feel that the Hoyt's are bulit to withstand more abuse. I also believe that the Hoyt's are a more accurate bow, and finally there's just something about these bow that look awesome.

· Registered
250 Posts
My previous two bows were Mathews (LX and Switchback), however, I am currently shooting a Hoyt AM 32. I really like the older Mathews bows, but to be honest I have a hard time getting very excited about some of the new ones. So far, I think the Hoyt is a great bow - fast, quiet and accurate.

· Registered
369 Posts
I shoot a hoyt turbohawk. I love this bow. Dont get me wrong though, both are great companies but I am going to have to go with hoyt:wink:

61 - 80 of 80 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.